PDA

View Full Version : Bad smell

Saaliha
07-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Hi,

I am a registered Childminder in Northern Ireland.

I am minding one boy aged 7 years old.

And, I am really struggling with the bad smell from his socks / Uniform everyday.

I am not sure how should i speak to his mother in a formal / professional way.

Does anybody out there have any ideas? Or someone in the same boat?

Many thanks !

donna porter
07-10-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm in Northern Ireland too, I'm in Tyrone! :-)

I would say something to parents incase he has athletes foot or something . How you go about it depends on how friendly you are with the parents x

sarah707
07-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Some families don't seem to notice especially if they smoke.

I would call a meeting and ask if there's a problem - maybe they don't have laundry facilities and you can help - or he might be going to the bathroom but only pretending to bathe??

It's a bit young for hormones and sweaty armpits to be kicking in but he does need to get into good habits before then.

Hopefully a quiet word will resolve things xx

Maza
07-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Does he look generally unclean? As in unwashed/unbrushed hair, dirty skin, teeth, nails etc? Do his clothes look dirty?
Could you do a mini topic on hygiene?
I always get mindees and DD to wash their hands and face after school as they have been touching all sorts and get quite sweaty. He could also keep a toothbrush at yours and have a quick freshen up after school - introduce it as part of your topic. You could also talk about how socks and underwear need to be changed every day but trousers and tops could be worn again if they look clean. Do you think he actually owns enough spare uniform to change it often enough - is it worse towards the end of the week? It's a very sensitive subject but you need to monitor it incase it is a sign of neglect. Poor lad, this won't be helping him socially as other children will begin to notice the smell at that age. You could say to parents that you have noticed a bit of an 'odour' (sounds kinder than 'smell') on his socks and just wanted to check that he didn't have athletes foot or had soiled himself. Obviously this conversation can't take place in front of the child. If you really don't feel comfortable you could mention it to his teacher/Headteacher - they have probably dealt with this sort of thing before. Do the parents look unclean? x

Mrs Scrubbit
07-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Might be that the clothes were folded and put away still damp, now that really does smell awful. I can remember having to remind one of children of this fact after they started doing their own laundry when at uni xx

Saaliha
08-10-2013, 03:33 PM
I asked his mom to put a spare pair of socks, so he can change here.

I've been asking him to wash his feet and put the other socks after school.

But honestly saying, its his cloths too. It doesn't look cleaned / washed.

I have to open the house windows (even when its cold ) to get rid of the smell. But it stays there until the boy go home.

I think Maza is right. I should talk to his mom at phone to discuss. I will ask for the pair of cloths as well. So he can change it too!

Thanks everyone for their ideas :)

Much appreciated !

supermumy
08-10-2013, 04:01 PM
I think asking the boy to wash his feet is rather sad :(
It may well give him a complex and without talking to the parent 1st also?

Kiddleywinks
08-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Does he have a birthday coming up - days of the week socks have made a big difference to my 13 yr old's smelly feet!

What kind of smell is it? Damp clothes or body odour?

Saaliha
09-10-2013, 05:41 AM
@ supermumy

Firstly - I m not asking only him to change socks. I m doing it myself as well, asking other kids with my little boy too, just so he don't feel bad. I tell them about the hygiene and not the odour.

Secondly- Change cloths / socks after school isn't a bad idea i think, as it will give them a fresh feeling !

I will speak to his mother about the odour too.

Its kind of bad smell when u dont change socks for a week or so.
Shoes have dampness , may be..