PDA

View Full Version : Notice to a bad payer?

Mrs Dolphin
07-10-2013, 01:00 PM
If you were giving notice to a bad payer and you didn't mind when they left would you.....

A) Just give 4 weeks notice and resend bill stating you need it all paid

B) say you are giving notice and want them to pay to date but they can leave straight away if not going to pay

Or

C) Give notice with an itemised bill stating they can pay as they go for 4 weeks until they find alternative care but state you can't accept them without payment up front?

It's just this months payment that is outstanding at the moment, and I always get it in the end but it is always late. I'm just worried that once I give notice I won't receive any more money

Louise B
07-10-2013, 01:08 PM
I've had a few late payers and started quoting from the contract. If they are regularly late and you've mentioned it before, you can terminate immediately and still charge notice and late fees, as far as I can remember. I did. I ended up getting the full amount and 2 months worth of £5 per day!! How ridiculous, it's surely easier and cheaper to just pay up at the time. Always amazes me that people take childcare and then don't pay or pay late, as if we're idiots who can tick along with no money. It's happened to me 4 times, with varying amounts and lengths of time, and I won't put up with it now, if someone is late they'll get a warning, then if it happens again I'll give notice, it really isn't worth the stress. Good luck. xxx

Koala
07-10-2013, 01:13 PM
get your payment up to date and then INSIST on payment in advance otherwise it sounds like you probably won't get paid!! :thumbsup: definitely state that until payment is made no further care will be provided and that if payment isn't received on time the contract will terminate without notice. I have found that this is the only way to run a business you cannot be providing a service and not get paid.

I state in my contract that care can cease immediately if payment has not being received monthly in advance.

It's hard work enough without fighting for your payments every month, that would really p me off.

Louise B
07-10-2013, 01:28 PM
I had one who gave me cheques, 4 bounced in less than a year, so I gave notice. She begged me to keep them as the little girl liked it here and she hadn't got anyone else, etc. I agreed, on the strict promise that she paid in cash as she dropped her daughter off. Day one, "I'll pay you when I collect", she said, as she'd already taken the child's coat off and pushed her into the house!! This went on for 2 weeks, and one morning she gave me an envelope as she collected, which was about £30 short (she was in a notice period for one of her days), so I text her and she couldn't pay. So I terminated immediately but asked for the notice payment, and said I would add £5 per day if she hadn't paid in full within 7 days. It went on for 2 months, her husband knew nothing about it, and she left me short over Christmas. I can't understand how people can do this, and won't put up with it again, they'll just be gone. xx