PDA

View Full Version : Observations

Mrs M
15-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I've just met up with a couple of childminders at a toddler group and we tried to discuss the EYFS training we'd all had! Well, they have been told that you only need to do two observations per month and link them back to the EYFS.

sarah707
15-07-2008, 11:24 AM
I wonder if it was the same training I went on ...?

It got to 845 (finished at 9) and a friend piped up ...'so we don't have to link observations and planning to the learning and development goals then ....?'

They hadn't even mentioned them!!! :eek:

Well, I for one am going to do everything in my power to keep my grade at my next inspection. If I lose it, it will be for something daft, not because I haven't tried.

That means doing more than the minimum requirements ... Ofsted haven't even said ... you do 2 obs a week or you do 2 obs a month ... they say you have to prove you are meeting the standards...

So it's down to each one of us to decide how much we feel we need to do to meet them :D

Mrs M
15-07-2008, 11:33 AM
I agree Sarah. I've done quite a few photo obs this month for my mindee who I have full time and I shall continue to do so. I actually enjoy it and I feel that two per month just wouldn't be enough to really find out about his development.
They also got very confused on my course about children who attend other settings as well as ours. For example, I look after a little boy for one day per week at the moment and he attends nursery for two days per week. We were told that therefore it's the nursery's job to do the obs and not mine. Therefore, where they spend the majority of their week. Then our network coordinator who happened to be there at that moment as she held the keys for the centre(!) said to the trainer, oh no that's wrong!!! I shall do obs on whoever I have here and as many as I feel necessary.

sarah707
15-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Lots of people are confused on that one ...

It's the place where they go most who do the final assessment at the end of Reception ... and that's usually school.

That does not mean we do not have to do obs etc still!

In fact the eyfs hopes that we will be able to feed our obs etc into the school reports.

Quite how that will work is beyond me though :D