PDA

View Full Version : Black History Month.... Ideas please?

Rickers83
07-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Hi

One of my mindees reminded me that it's black history month this month....
I hadn't even thought of this and now am desperately searching online for activity ideas.... Any help would be most appreciated.
I have found a Martin Luther King 'make your own dream' workbook and plan to do a special caribbean themed dinner one night
My children are 5-12 years old
Thanks

bharper87
07-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Hi :)

At school we're doing a couple of things this month.

Last week we were making African masks. Black paper with all different colours and shape stampers to make the pattern - great for Maths as I was able to see who knew colours and shapes.

We also did a bit of Bob Marley. Listening to his music and recreating/dancing.

This week we're doing Handa's Surprise. Looking at where she lives on a map, tasting the tropical fruit etc.

Good idea about Martin Luther King, our nursery class did a similar thing with I have a dream in a bubble then children had drawn what they wanted to be when they were older and the teachers had annotated the pictures. They looked lovely.

HTH :thumbsup:

Bumble Beez
07-10-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm going to do these and try to explain the reasoning behind celebrating...

http://pinterest.com/pin/234820568044495882/

Also really like these...and they're free :thumbsup:

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Black-History-Month-mini-biography-record-sheets-196621

Sarah x

k1rstie
07-10-2013, 01:53 PM
There's an episode of 'ant farm' on the Disney channel about black history month. Even thought a kids program it was interesting to see the different aspects covered, such as art, music and computing if I remember correctly

FloraDora
07-10-2013, 03:42 PM
I like to have a book that hangs a theme together.

My current favourite book on this theme is called My People author Langston Hughes - but the photographer is Charles R Smith - beautiful pictures to stimulate talk and thought, a bit pricy but a good coffee table book not just for children.

Amazing Grace is a traditional favourite as is Bright Eyes Brown skin- Hudson and Ford which is about preschool children discovering how they are different.

The picture book biography series has one on Martin Luther King.

Rickers83
07-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks everyone, a lot to be thinking about.
I also thought I'd share what I found this afternoon, under a science topic, Garrett Morgan who invented traffic lights, after school today we did a bit of research on the Internet and drew pictures of the first traffic lights, then after dinner we made traffic light biscuits.... Malted milks with icing and red,yellow & green smarties.... The kids loved it.... Me too :0)