PDA

View Full Version : ratios

toddlers896
06-10-2013, 09:08 PM
I have a 2 year old and a 19month old. I have been asked to look after twin babies under one. Can I do this under the 3.40 rule (exceptions can be made when caring for sibling babies).

Thanks

christine e
06-10-2013, 09:37 PM
but you only have one space so I say no, if you had two spaces then you could grant yourself a variation to care for two babies under 1 year old

Bumble Beez
07-10-2013, 05:17 AM
I would say no...as they are new business.
If you were already caring for the twins and they needed to change days which then put you over then I think it would be different...very grey area tho.

Sarah x

sarah707
07-10-2013, 06:55 AM
No - you have filled 2 spaces under 1 - so for new business you only have 1 space left.

Be very careful with this one!! There used to be some flexibility when Ofsted were in charge of variations (pre-Sept 2012) and some cms hark back to those days.

Now there isn't anything in the rules about twins counting as 1 child for a space or anything like that.

The rules talk about sibling babies and continuity of care but not new business.

Hth :D

toddlers896
07-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Here is my reply from ofsted about my question

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry, If you have no conditions on your registration certificate you will be able to make decisions about matters such as how many children you can care for and how you use assistants. You will be able to work out these requirements yourself. As there will be no conditions about these matters you will not have to apply to have them varied or removed, although you will still have to tell us about certain matters. These are set out in the Early Years Foundation Stage. As part of the process we will remove all conditions by sending providers a notice of intention followed by a notice of decision and a new registration certificate.

If your current conditions of registration allow you to care for a certain number of children in particular age groups, then there is no need for you to stop doing this. The change we are introducing means that you can adjust your care provision in line with its requirements. In particular you will be able to assess the numbers and ages of children you can care for and whether or not you can change these if your circumstances change. You will not need to ask for approval from Ofsted before you can introduce these changes. For example, if one of the children you care for reaches an age group for which ratios are different, you do not need to tell us about this or seek our approval to adjust the numbers and ages of children you care for, as long as you manage your childcare service in line with the ratios for each age range

I hope you find this information helpful.

However should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Hannah Hall

Ofsted - National Business Unit

TEL: 0300 123 1231

Please note: If you are a Provider and are contacting the General Helpline please have your URN (Unique Reference Number), Date of Birth and Postcode to hand.

Memina
07-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Thats a lot of words to actually not say anything lol.

Don't know about you but I still have no idea.

bunnyjess
07-10-2013, 08:37 PM
That reply has confused me? Am I being thick?

toddlers896
07-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Thats a lot of words to actually not say anything lol.

Don't know about you but I still have no idea.

That's my thoughts exactly. Why can't they just answer my question. What is so difficult about it. It's like they are deliberately trying to trip us up so that we fall down. I give up really. I feel like I am really thick but in my opinion the EYFS is not written clearly

Chatterbox Childcare
07-10-2013, 08:46 PM
It says clearly to me that you have to stick within the conditions of the EYFS and under that you only have one space and as you need 2 you cannot do it

Daftbat
08-10-2013, 06:59 AM
It's all very simple....... You can only increase your numbers of under 5's to 4 if you are already working with the child or the child's siblings.

You cannot increase your numbers under 5 for new business.

You have one place left so no you can't do it.

Sarah has written a very clear document about this which is available under free resources on the forum.

KatieFS
08-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Love the ofsted reply. What is the actual specific answer to the question
Jargon or what

Chatterbox Childcare
08-10-2013, 02:14 PM
I think it makes perfect sense and reiterates what they have been saying since Sept 12. Read the EYFS and act accordingly.