PDA

View Full Version : Depression

handeme
06-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Has anyone or is anyone suffering with depression whilst minding? Does it effect your registration?

2013 has been an awful year for me and feel like I am really struggling.

C x

shortstuff
06-10-2013, 06:16 PM
I have suffered with depression on and off for as long as I can remember. It will only affect registration if your doctors report suggests you wouldnt cope as far as I know. My advice to you would be to phone the ofsted helpline and talk it through with them. Ultimately they have the final say x

handeme
06-10-2013, 06:28 PM
So if I have depression which I think I have will I have to have a medical check for Ofsted.

I am fine when working, in fact it takes my mind off of it x

Logan
06-10-2013, 07:00 PM
When I registered I had to have a medical check with an Ofsted doctor. He decided that I was well enough to mind but said that if I had a relapse that I must inform Ofsted so that they could check if I was still ok to mind. I am taking medication & that's not a problem. Ofsted doctor was happy for me to be on the tablets so that I can manage the illness.

Depression is horrible but it doesn't necessarily prevent you minding. And as you say, not minding can make you feel worse.

All the best xx

shortstuff
06-10-2013, 09:57 PM
You have to get forms filled in by the gp. Then a decision on whether you need to see the doctor is made from that.

Im sure it will be fine.

The Juggler
06-10-2013, 10:05 PM
i was on AD's when I applied to register. I had to have an extended explanatory letter from the GP and also wrote my own letter to ofsted. They allowed me to register. It recently reared it's head again when I applied for a new job in a school and they again wrote to my GP but as I had worked on my own capably with children for 9 years, they deemed me 'not a danger' which is good.

I don't think you will have any problems but be prepared for them to maybe ask further questions.

good luck.