PDA

View Full Version : Notice for moany child not accepted

serin
05-10-2013, 10:59 PM
I started looking after a 12 month old end of August. I have been having problems with him settling in. He moans a growl most of the day. Sometimes 1/2 a day, sometimes all day. I look after him Monday Tues and Thurs and he seems worse on Thursdays. It has been over a month I have looked after him with not much improvement at all. Last Thursday was my limit reached when he moaned the whole day and then also cried on school run first time ever. I felt so bad coz everyone was seeing him cry and I couldnt do anything to stop him. I felt like everyone was judging me. I built myself a great reputation for it to be possibly trashed by a child that wont stop crying! Anyway I thought it through and texted her today saying how awful I felt and wanted to give notice. She called me and I changed my mind. Ive decided to try for another month and review end of the month. Its so hard because he is cute when he smiles and is happy which is rarely and also I know that to give notice would mean her having to quit her job. She said she is so happy with the care I provide him and they dont want me to stop. I hope he gets happy soon...

jadavi
06-10-2013, 02:29 AM
Have you tried to work with the parent as to the reasons for his distress? There might be a few simple changes or adjustments you could make.
Could you think about having some more settling in visits with mum there or take the time to visit at his house to see what she does differently?
Let us know how it goes. The mum is happy with you which means you are doing something right!

serin
06-10-2013, 07:10 AM
I never thought of going to their home for a short visit because I thought that might confuse him. He is with me mon tues thurs 8-4/5 so no need for more settling in days. Mum and dad pass him to me at the door and go so that he does not get confused if they come in and sit for abit.

jadavi
06-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Clearly he is confused or distressed anyway so mum or dad might as well come in and spend some time. - and/or you visit there too

teacakepenguin
06-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Sometimes a low noise like that could be stimming, it might be worth looking into x

Hatchlings
06-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Does he join in any activities? or want to engage with any of the other children? has he siblings kind of what i asking is when he makes the noise does he just sit & do it or can you distract him to interact while doing it? I had the odd day when the little ones cry for no reason normally on a school run & mums look at me but try to see past them looking at you & focus on the child they will see you are talking or trying to distract sometimes its just they don't want to be strapped in the buggie at that time, I always have a toy or book & just try as much as i can ;) I am sure someone on here will help you

serin
06-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Does he join in any activities? or want to engage with any of the other children? has he siblings kind of what i asking is when he makes the noise does he just sit & do it or can you distract him to interact while doing it? I had the odd day when the little ones cry for no reason normally on a school run & mums look at me but try to see past them looking at you & focus on the child they will see you are talking or trying to distract sometimes its just they don't want to be strapped in the buggie at that time, I always have a toy or book & just try as much as i can ;) I am sure someone on here will help you

I cant stop him from moaning but he does play with stuff and move around more often when his not moaning. Yes I will try bringing a book to distract them,gd idea thanks.

chriss
06-10-2013, 03:16 PM
How about asking mum and dad to make a little photo album with pics of themselves, family, his home and toys etc.... might give him some comfort and settle him