PDA

View Full Version : Body odour

jadavi
05-10-2013, 06:58 AM
One of my trainee assistants (18 y o school leaver) has quite bad body odour. Any idea how to handle it and what to say? I'd hate to hurt her feelings as she's so enthusiastic....

AgentTink
05-10-2013, 07:35 AM
oh a tricky one, and I am not sure there is even a nice way to bring this conversation up.

When does the odour appear? first thing or as the day wears on?

If it is as the day wears on you could buy a can of deodarant, and half way through day you could say "phew its warm working with children, I always find I need a little spritz half way through the day", and then spray yourself and offer if she would like a spray

Sorry thats the best idea i could think of ....

MessybutHappy
05-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Hi
The only way to deal with is be blunt. Ask if they are aware, sometimes they are not, say you understand that this could be embarrassing, but that you'd like to help, for example suggesting your assistant change their top at lunchtime. Also that the gp might be able to help with the problem. If it's feet, you can help by wearing cotton socks and leather shoes for example. Be non judgemental, it will be tricky, but it's best to tackle head on!

jadavi
05-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Thank you

You are right. I need to tackle head on. Also I know I would actually be doing her a great service as it would improve things for her with other people - I'm not sure I'm brave enough.... I'll do a bit of rehearsing!

sarah707
05-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Put her in charge of outside play? ...

Bless she probably doesn't realise I'd have to say something and hope it wasn't taken wrongly. Hugs x

jadavi
05-10-2013, 08:02 AM
It's around her all the time - quite deep grained I think :(
She has a history of anorexia too so do not want to rock any boats.... Maybe it's anxiety related? Anyone got any knowledge of this?

MessybutHappy
05-10-2013, 12:06 PM
I'd not be surprised if the two are linked! Poor diet, being told she had body odour lowering her self esteem.. I bet it's a chicken and egg thing. I'm sure if you are kind, honest and offer bucket loads off support you can help her to improve things? I feel for you though, it's never easy. I've had to have similar conversations in the past, once with a burly builder who usually arrived stinking... Turned out he didn't have enough uniform to change each day as he couldn't get it dried in time. Just the cost of two extra shirts and an explanation of the need to use biological powder helped enormously!

loocyloo
05-10-2013, 03:37 PM
just wondering if it might also be linked to what she is wearing?

I know when I wore an acrylic/polyester top I used to need to change my top or re apply deodorant a couple of times a day. but wearing mainly cotton tops its a lot better! also, as messybuthappy said, if clothes are not washed/dried correctly then they are still going to smell.

also, I've found some deodorants just don't do the job! one of the girls at dancing just uses a body spray, not deodorant and the teacher had to suggest she actually used a deodorant.

I am sure with sensitive support you can help.

Simona
05-10-2013, 05:08 PM
In a girl of that age it is common but there could be underlying reasons...how to approach it makes a difference as she may not be aware of it herself and could be embarrassed by it ...so it requires a tactful approach

Body odour - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/body-odour/Pages/Introduction.aspx)

jadavi
06-10-2013, 02:35 AM
Thank you Simona for that link and everyone for your comments. I have to give some thought how to open the conversation. Once started I'll probably be ok.

serin
06-10-2013, 07:13 AM
I would say I can smell bio is it me or you. Or buy her a perfume and say you have to wear it every day but i dont think that would help enough.

MessybutHappy
06-10-2013, 07:25 AM
I start with "can we have a quick word? I wondered if there was anything I could do to help, only I can't help noticing that even at the start of the day your clothes smell rather strongly?" then take it from there! If she does get upset, suggest you take time and have another chat when she's ready, but that this does need to be improved on because you know that if you've noticed others might have and you'd really like to help. I've found that this has been the best way, it's certainly not helpful to say "I've received complaints" because then the person has been discussed behind their back, and its also a bit off to say "you stink" but discussing the clothes helps soften it without not facing it? Good luck!

Simona
06-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Thank you Simona for that link and everyone for your comments. I have to give some thought how to open the conversation. Once started I'll probably be ok.

I am glad you found that useful
In addition as an employer you are responsible for the welfare of your trainee/employee and you can find out more info on how to approach delicate subjects which may come up and could be addressed in a positive way in the form of an employee 'Appraisal'

Also bear in mind that children may have noticed it too and they have no rules when they say certain things...so be first to get there

Serin...the girl may not be aware herself of her problem or she may have an additional medical condition...
I have come across this situation before in a training session when I was an employer, and buying perfume can be taken as an offensive gesture. Better to research the best way to approach it than offend the girl...tact will do the trick.

jadavi
06-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Thanks

I really like the idea of doing it through an appraisal.
That's what I'll do.
Thanks very much x

jadavi
07-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Well I finally did this today.

I researched it for weeks and was quick respectful, business like and moved on fast.

Poor girl.

I felt so bad. Short of finishing with a boyfriend in my 20s it was the hardest thing I've ever had to tell anyone :(

covgalxxx
07-03-2014, 06:19 PM
One of my trainee assistants (18 y o school leaver) has quite bad body odour. Any idea how to handle it and what to say? I'd hate to hurt her feelings as she's so enthusiastic....
it could be what she is using isn't strong enough for her, when i was working as a carer, i found i smelt at the end of my shift (i finished at 1:00pm) i used soft and gentle so tired sure,didnt work these where sprays so i went for Nivea 48 hour roll on, never had a problem since, so when you have words with her maybe suggest using a different one x

dette
07-03-2014, 06:46 PM
might be a bit late to offer advice since you have dealt with it but you could provide a poloshirt with logo to change in to (like the college placements wear)then at least you know her clothes are clean and hygenic

amylouise867
07-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Well I finally did this today. I researched it for weeks and was quick respectful, business like and moved on fast. Poor girl. I felt so bad. Short of finishing with a boyfriend in my 20s it was the hardest thing I've ever had to tell anyone :(

It must have been terrible for you - a subject that anyone would dread raising.

How did she take it? :/ xx

jadavi
08-03-2014, 09:10 AM
She was clearly not expecting it and looked a but glazed over but kept up her business like front abs didn't cry it anything. I tuned it at the end if her day so she could leave immediately .

jadavi
08-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Dette i wanted to help her see it as a problem in her life as I know other people have been suffering with her odour for a long time so she needs to sort it out at home. I wanted to get across the message : daily shower, deodorant and fresh top.