PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Survey of Childcare Providers

loupo
04-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Have many people received this? If so what are your thoughts on it? I was surprised that I seem to be the only one out of our school cluster who received it. I found it strangely intrusive and couldn't really understand why they were asking for the information they wanted. 'In order to provide better support for childcare providers and to understand where this support is needed, or might be best targeted, it is important that we have current information on the level of provision, fees charged and qualifications held.'

So why do they need to know how much I pay on my mortgage and approximately, what is your total income from any other source (eg fundraising, assets etc) not to mention their request for rough income for the childminding.

Any thoughts appreciated. For my part I called the telephone number and opted out explaining that I was concerned about the proposed agencies and felt the government weren't listening to childminders and because of that I was unprepared to share my information with them.

I would be really interested to hear what others think.

Lou

Simona
04-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Have many people received this? If so what are your thoughts on it? I was surprised that I seem to be the only one out of our school cluster who received it. I found it strangely intrusive and couldn't really understand why they were asking for the information they wanted. 'In order to provide better support for childcare providers and to understand where this support is needed, or might be best targeted, it is important that we have current information on the level of provision, fees charged and qualifications held.'

So why do they need to know how much I pay on my mortgage and approximately, what is your total income from any other source (eg fundraising, assets etc) not to mention their request for rough income for the childminding.

Any thoughts appreciated. For my part I called the telephone number and opted out explaining that I was concerned about the proposed agencies and felt the government weren't listening to childminders and because of that I was unprepared to share my information with them.

I would be really interested to hear what others think.

Lou

Is there a link to this?
who is doing the survey?

thanks

lilac_dragon
05-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Never heard of them. And think the questions not relevant and intrusive!

loupo
05-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Thank you Simona & Lilac_Dragon. It is a survey by the Department of Education who have commissioned a research agency called TNS BMRB and with the National Children's Bureau (NCB). Apparently the survey is endorsed by Pacey, the National Day Nurseries Association (NDNA) and 4Children. I'm just very confused as to why the information they are requesting is supposed to provide support for childcare providers. The survey has been conducted in previous years.

If anyone does want a copy I am in the process of turning it into a PDF. ] I will send you a copy. There is a Privacy Notice in the blurb but it doesn't say that the survey questions can't be shared. There is a telephone number on there for questions and for opting out - which I did!

I would just love to hear feedback from other childminders because I'm really trying to fathom out the purpose of gathering the information. The childcare agencies bother me, despite being voluntary I fear that childminders will be strong-armed into joining them in the long-term and about the treatment that independent childminders will receive. Yes I'm scared of the unknown. I'm even more worried about sharing private information with the Government at a time when all this is looming.

Cheers

Chatterbox Childcare
05-10-2013, 11:17 AM
I stopped reading at "how much is your mortgage". Wonder if the director of the DFE will tell us about his personal costs. Cheeky lot

marie55
05-10-2013, 02:00 PM
There have been a few childminders on Facebook querying this after receiving the documents from Dfe. I will not be divulging my personal finances either if I receive a letter. The cheek :angry:

loupo
05-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Thank you so much, it's a relief to know that it's not just me feeling that the questions are intrusive!

Simona
05-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Hi loupo...sending you email as I would like to see the survey...am I missing it here as I cannot see it so where did others find it?
sorry so much to read and I see many cms not at all happy with this.

FussyElmo
05-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Hi loupo...sending you email as I would like to see the survey...am I missing it here as I cannot see it so where did others find it?
sorry so much to read and I see many cms not at all happy with this.

Mine came via post :-D

FussyElmo
05-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Mine came via post :-D

If anyone does want to take Loupo up on her offer of sharing the survery could you please pm for her email address please :thumbsup:

charleyfarley
05-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Mine also came via post, not sure I want to tell them how much my mortgage is either, not unless they are offering to pay it for me :laughing:

It does say you can stop the survey at any time though.

Carol xx

Simona
07-10-2013, 11:46 AM
This is not a new survey...there have been others in the past and should be available on the DfE website
yes providers are randomly chosen from the sector...it is not just cms.
NCB and TNS-BMRB are helping with this...so far I have not seen anything about pacey but if it worries you and you are a member please contact pacey for clarification

If unsure ring NCB and TNS-BMRB and ask to clarify your worries
I contacted NCB and was told the aim of this survey...you can also google TNS-BMRB and see who they are and why they carry out these surveys