PDA

View Full Version : Registers

maisiemog
04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Hi,

Trying to cut declutter and cut down on the amount of folders I have for CMing. Just wondered if I really need a separate register or can I write arrival and leaving times for each child in my CMing diary.

This diary is essential to me. Couldn't do my job without it and it would be so much easier if these were in here as well. I write pretty much everything else in there!

dette
04-10-2013, 03:23 PM
mine are on a4 sheets that my DH designed for me, a column for each child and the dates down the side making a big grid,if your diary is a4 you could just pop it inside it then file at the end of the month x

sarah707
04-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Having looked into it from all angles I would recommend you use individual sheets that are signed by parents and then filed with the children's other paperwork. It is NOT a requirement to do it this way - I am just using all the information I have been able to gather from insurance, ofsted etc.

This is also worth reading :D

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/blogs/sarah707/74-ofsted-inspection-feedback.html

maisiemog
04-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Having looked into it from all angles I would recommend you use individual sheets that are signed by parents and then filed with the children's other paperwork. It is NOT a requirement to do it this way - I am just using all the information I have been able to gather from insurance, ofsted etc. This is also worth reading :D http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/blogs/sarah707/74-ofsted-inspection-feedback.html

****** ofsted! Guess I can't get rid of them then! Although I have never had my registers signed and have no intention of starting now! And I would ask an inspector to point out where it is written as a requirement! Now to find something else that can go as I'm in trouble with DH for minding taking over the house again!

Ali56
04-10-2013, 08:55 PM
I have one of the huge organised mum calenders, has worked for me for the last 5 yrs or so. I just write the childs name, time of arrival, time left
eg ben 8.05-5.55
Each day has enough space for all my children and ofsted are quite happy with it-I just got an outstanding, so can't be an issue, no mention of it being a problem. I'm happy to be transparent, all parents are aware this is how I record and are not worried about privacy. Obviously ne personal detail is on it.
Saves on space and paper and works for a whole year :)

Mouse
04-10-2013, 09:25 PM
My cm friend used to write the times in her diary each day then transfer the info into her register at the end of the week. Her Ofsted inspector asked her why she was duplicating the info and told her it was enough having it written in her childminding diary. She changed to doing that & has been inspected since without any problem.

I use an a5 notebook for my register. I write the date, the names of the children and the times they arrive & leave. Parents never sign it, so I don't worry about confidentiality.

vikiwizz
04-10-2013, 09:52 PM
I write the child's name and times arrive in my diary. How can it be a confidentially issue when the parents can clearly see what children you have in any given day?

lilac_dragon
05-10-2013, 07:29 AM
I have one of the huge organised mum calenders, has worked for me for the last 5 yrs or so. I just write the childs name, time of arrival, time left
eg ben 8.05-5.55
Each day has enough space for all my children and ofsted are quite happy with it-I just got an outstanding, so can't be an issue, no mention of it being a problem. I'm happy to be transparent, all parents are aware this is how I record and are not worried about privacy. Obviously ne personal detail is on it.
Saves on space and paper and works for a whole year :)

I do the same in an A4 Diary.
Under the names and times I write in what I'd like to do with the pre-schoolies, then write what we ACTUALLY did as it's quite often different, with any comments about what I might change next time eg L struggled with scissors.
I also write notes to self such as PVA getting low or L off of carrots at the moment. Just memory joggers.
los Birthday will be at the top of the page before the actual day- highlighted.(just in case!)
If I have an idea for a later date then that can be written in ready eg On Tuesday I might put a note to collect pine cones onto Thursdays page because that's when we'll be going past the Wood.
I also keep the previous years Diary in reach to check back what we were doing a year ago. Again, a memory jogger for craft or activity ideas.
It works for me.

jadavi
05-10-2013, 09:04 AM
I have A4 week on one page diary by front door where all comings and goings are recorded also visitors. Also write in there details from parent ie had calpol at 6am etc. works for us.

I'm Planning on adding our trips out ie park Playgroup etc. so all front door activity is on there.

Have given up my daily a4 diary as I realised it wasn't necessary. We write stuff straight in their take home diaries or it goes in LJ.

Never been so paper free :)

Chatterbox Childcare
05-10-2013, 11:24 AM
For 15 years I had individual sheets and then I thought why?

I spoke to my Ofsted inspector at the last inspection as I have an a4 sheet each week with expected arrival and departure times of each child and we change it where necessary or just tick them in and she was happy with just this. No more individual sheets for me!

the requirements state that we have to have a record, no individual records. This is one way I have cut down on my paperwork.

k1rstie
05-10-2013, 12:34 PM
As stated, it's does not need to have separate sheets or confidentiality, because the Karen's can clearly see who is in you home. When older, they will tell the parent exactly who came and went, and why!

I use one sheet, which I print each week. I put all their expected times in a pale colour. All my own children's after school stuff, and even if myself or husband have anything on. I have a space at the end of the week to record the number of claimable milk units, plus the total number of hours each day and week for utility calculations.

I also have all my under 1 children printed in one colour, my. 1 to 5 in another color and my over 5 in a third colour. This year sees some of mine ( including my own daughter) turning 8. It's all very exciting as she wants to choose the colour of the over 8's!

Once Monday arrived, I write all the actual timings in, then add extra info to it as we go along.

Coor, that sounds complicated, but really is isn't.

maisiemog
05-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Right, it's going in my diary. I can argue with ofsted that I'm meeting requirements because its all being recorded,

I knew it didn't need to be separate sheets, after all a school, nursery or preschool puts every child on the same sheet.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Right, it's going in my diary. I can argue with ofsted that I'm meeting requirements because its all being recorded,

I knew it didn't need to be separate sheets, after all a school, nursery or preschool puts every child on the same sheet.

The only thing I don't like about the diary is if there was an investigation and the police needed to see times you would have to hand over the diary or photocopy every page. If you have all the details on one sheet you would only have to copy 1 week at a time

Ali56
08-10-2013, 07:04 PM
I do the same in an A4 Diary.
Under the names and times I write in what I'd like to do with the pre-schoolies, then write what we ACTUALLY did as it's quite often different, with any comments about what I might change next time eg L struggled with scissors.
I also write notes to self such as PVA getting low or L off of carrots at the moment. Just memory joggers.
los Birthday will be at the top of the page before the actual day- highlighted.(just in case!)
If I have an idea for a later date then that can be written in ready eg On Tuesday I might put a note to collect pine cones onto Thursdays page because that's when we'll be going past the Wood.
I also keep the previous years Diary in reach to check back what we were doing a year ago. Again, a memory jogger for craft or activity ideas.
It works for me.

I do much the same! There is absolutely loads of space on the calender for jotted notes etc and I have a journal to record everything else :0) (and lots and lots of post it notes!!)