PDA

View Full Version : Where is your tv?

trickiedickie
04-10-2013, 01:38 PM
I am still not registered. Just waiting on the pre reg inspection visit (I hope).

Someone has said to me they were told their tv had to be wall mounted and couldn't be on a stand? Don't think I have the money right now to wall mount my tv, also wall mounting it wouldn't match the rest of my living room. I would need to get a different suite as only place it could be wall mounted would be above fire place.

I do have the tv on a stand and the tv is screwed into the stand but I have heard inspectors weren't happy with TV's on a stand as they could be knocked over.

I am not moving it unless told to do so by the pre reg inspector but am being nosey wondering if anyone else had to move their tv?

shortstuff
04-10-2013, 01:40 PM
my tv is on a stand and both pre reg and grading inspectors didnt mention it. Its not a little tv either so I would have thought one of them would pick up on it if there was a problem x

k-tots
04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Im got tge same as below...nothing was mentioned :-/

Shamai
04-10-2013, 01:45 PM
My TV was on a glass stand when I was inspected in January but I must admit the youngest child I was caring for was 2yo so not crawling or pulling himself like a baby would. Maybe you could invest in a fire guard to put round it so that the children are protected if you have any crawlers? Your pre-reg inspector may have another idea to save you putting it on the wall.

jolliesdean
04-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Hi my pre reg inspector was not concerned with it being on a stand he felt that most large tv are quite light now he was more bother ed about them having parental lock as new tv are smart tvs with access to Internet x

AliceK
04-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I have a TV in the lounge on a wooden chest style unit and a TV in the breakfast room which is on a smaller wooden stand. Nothing has ever been said to me. I wouldn't wall mount mine anyway as I like to move things around a lot, I get bored if the furniture stays in the same place for too long lol

xxxx

clareelizabeth1
04-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Mines on a stand nothing was said to me. But I also don't let children in the tv room by themselfs unless they are school children.

karen m
I do have mine on the wall BUT only for space saving oh and OH wanted it there but this is a recent thing have always had it on tv unit in pass and never had a comment from inspector

cathtee
I have TV on a cabinet in the lounge, Mrs O never commented about it when I had my inspection,

kellyskidz!
04-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Ignore whoever said that, people like to scaremonger. Obviously it needs to be safe and the children shouldn't be able to pull it over
My TV in on a TV cabinet in my room and Ofsted didn't say a word, and if they did I'd have happily allowed them to pay to mount it on my wall if they had a problem with where it was :)

Simona
04-10-2013, 02:58 PM
OOHHH....Mrs O is going to have a field day when she comes...I have 3 tvs in my setting in various rooms...one on a shelf, one on a wall and one on a side board...which one will merit a downgrading??
And no.... my children do not get stuck in front of them all day!!! I just can't sit for hours in one room looking at tv and prefer to multitask...so is tv on at night for me while I potter around.

I think we are beginning to forget that these are our homes and as long as we have safety in mind that is all that matters!

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
04-10-2013, 03:09 PM
My tv is on a stand in the front room and then there is one in the playroom on the wall, never had it mentioned that they need to be on the wall. We do spend most of our time in the playroom but very rarely have the tv on.

maisiemog
04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Mine is on the wall now but it wasn't at either my pre-reg of grading inspection and it wasn't mentioned! It was on a glass stand. Admittedly screwed to it but they were fine with it!

tulip0803
04-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Mine is also on a stand on a glass TV table/unit thingy. I cant put on a wall anyway as the only wall that it can go on is the only place the sofa can go so we would all need mirrors to watch it cos it would be behind us:rolleyes:

Daisy1956
04-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Mine is on a tv unit but because we got a new flat screen we fitted a bar to the back of tv to stop it falling forwards or being pushed backwards off the unit. Hope this keeps mrs O happy.

Chatterbox Childcare
04-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Someone is scaremongering - don't listen.

As long as you have RA's you are fine. All Ofsted are interested in is the safety and safeguarding of children in your home and I cannot see why a tv on a stand is a hazard unless it was overhanging and liable to be pulled off and fall on a child

Simona
04-10-2013, 04:12 PM
The only thing I RA about a tv are the cables...making sure they are out of sight.

PixiePetal
04-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Mine have been on wooden cabinets for the past 19 years of minding and I am not going to change now!

Just keep the wires safe from pulling/tripping and put controls away or like mine, they will switch it on themselves like they obviously do at home!

WibbleWobble
04-10-2013, 05:11 PM
My tv is on a small cabinet. It is not fixed to the wall or fixed to the cabinet.

Tbh I don't think it could do any damage to anyone, it is a flat screen and only 20 inches wide ... It is tiny! But it suits us

Wibble the myopic x

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Our LA instructor said it was something that Ofsted would focus on but the inspector didn't even mention it....don't worry

starlight1
04-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Mine is on the wall as my son pulled ours on him when he was about 2 years old...very frightedning he was fine TV died but not something I would ever want to see again

Daftbat
04-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Oh my god.... where does this type of thing come from>??????????

Some people need to really really get a grip!!!

bindy
04-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Mine is stood on a small table ( like a coffee table) don't like tv stands had an inspection in March nothing was said but my first inspection it was stood on a black ( not see through) glass tv stand. MY inspector made a comment regarding the stand not being glass lol! I kept quiet, if she thought it was wood so be it, I was not going to tell her any different, she was a little thick to say the least !!!( Thought my 12 month old baby was talking Italian when only babbling lol)

SammySplodger
04-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Big wooden cabinet with doors and fake drawers. I need it! 18month olds and projectiles! Protection from wooden bricks etc essential. I got it off eBay, but IKEA have them cheaply too.

trickiedickie
05-10-2013, 12:04 PM
What a great response. Thank you all.

Well I feel a bit more optimistic about not having to move the tv.

I will wait to see what the inspector says. I will update if I ever manage to get my pre reg visit. Thanks

watgem
05-10-2013, 01:35 PM
I've been cm fr the last 10 years and we still have the same big old fashioned tv on a corner stand that we always have- 4 inspections later its never been mentioned:)