PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Minding children/ english is a second language

Angela234
04-10-2013, 01:06 PM
I mind 2 children one is 13 month old polish girl second 24 month boy who has czech mum I have an inspection coming up later this year (was told should be by xmas)
How much do I need to do both children will learn English here and be spoken to in Czech/polish at home.
I have a welcome poster in all 3 languages, as well as colour and shapes posters and some toy box labels. I am still looking for dual language books also café menus in English/polish and English/czech..
I am doing a child monitoring early communication and language form for each child.
THE 24 month speech is delayed a bit but this is normal with children learning 2 languages he is coming along very well now.
Do I need to do anything else?
I do get on well with parents and I know they don't expect me to do more both do speak fairly good English.
I read on an Ofsted report some one was marked down for not doing more about the child's background/family.
So i'm asking what do you all do?

AdeleMarie88
04-10-2013, 01:18 PM
It is really nice if you can get the parents to write some key words they use in their language and have them dotted around wherever you will be. I have a similar set up, lots of different European languages, and I asked all parents to write/type up a favourite nursery rhyme they sing at home, and I did the same for when they are with me, and made a little display out of it. Both pre reg and ofsted loved it!!

Chatterbox Childcare
04-10-2013, 04:09 PM
I have a little czech girl and I talk to her in her language and she replies in English! I say hello, goodbye, please and thank you - nada from her all english.

My last inspector didn't believe english was the 2nd language as it was so clear and better than all the other children around her the same age who grunted when spoken to

Angela234
04-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks for your replies I like the idea of learning a few words . My little polish girl say papa (bye bye ) when mum leaves now that's easy to learn should we all say it including Czech boy who is just starting to put 2 words together I don't want to confuse them.

Adele marie do you try to sing the rhyme or just have it written up?

AdeleMarie88
05-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks for your replies I like the idea of learning a few words . My little polish girl say papa (bye bye ) when mum leaves now that's easy to learn should we all say it including Czech boy who is just starting to put 2 words together I don't want to confuse them. Adele marie do you try to sing the rhyme or just have it written up?

The French one I can sing because it is very simple but the German one I just can't do, so I have it up there with a few pictures of the little girl doing it, she is 3 and happily sings it out loud for everyone to do!

Chatterbox Childcare
05-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Children are very quick on the uptake and manage to decifer between languages, so I cannot see that a few common words in 3 languages would be a problem

I did a sign a long course and we also use the hand signals so that helps. It is all good fun :)