PDA

View Full Version : Free play vs planned activity

Mrs Dolphin
04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
How much of each do you do on a weekly basis. How much is adult led and how much child led? What do you think is the right balance?

watgem
04-10-2013, 12:55 PM
the EPPE report suggested 80% child led/initiated and thats what I tend to do, also lots of retrospective planning and planning in response, as all my children are part time, some only one morning a week and a lot can change in the life/interests of a young child. Probably not the kind of planning Ofsted are looking for though:)

MessybutHappy
04-10-2013, 01:04 PM
I think it varies with age too - babies need everything provided, once they move they can self select, a four year old nearly in school will benefit from lots of planning to provide opportunities!
(It also varies with my and the children's moods!!)

Bluebell
04-10-2013, 01:33 PM
think it definitely depends on child's situation. if they have a parent that is constantly 'doing' with them and feel they have to be entertained and played with all the time its actually really nice to see them grow in independence and self-select and choose and lead their own play. Like wise I have 3 children going school next year but they go to pre-school on other days and 2 of them are doing a lot of planned activities at pre-school so on the days they come here I promote free play and social skills, the other little girl could do with some more structured play so i try to provide that but its still fairly child led in that I will provide opportunities and resources its up to the children which they choose to play with / participate in.

loocyloo
04-10-2013, 02:03 PM
I aim to have an adult led activity at some point during the day, but generally follow the childrens interests and go from there! sometimes things are adult led in as far as I have planned to go to the woods or the beach or something, and we see where it takes us! I might then follow it on another day, but 6 out of 8 of my EY children only come one day, so things they are interested in can change rapidly from week to week!

I think it is important to teach the children to free play, and its also something I make my schoolies do, as often they get home from school/holidays and need to be entertained/told what to do! I have one schoolie ( new to me! ) who doesn't seem to be able to think for himself AT ALL! I am sure at home everyone does everything for him as he just stands there looking useless and batting his eyelashes! and gets quite grumpy when told to do things for himself!

kellyskidz!
04-10-2013, 02:07 PM
I usually start with a general idea of how I'd like the day to go.. Then I feel like I'm organised and sticking rigidly to my planning even though I know I'm not!
I find when I plan and plan something the kids seem to instinctively know this and spend approx 14 seconds doing it before going wandering.
The best activities I've ever done have been child led, we once spent almost 2 hours 'fishing for leaves' in a puddle last year, had I woke up that morning thinking we'd do that, nope :)

Simona
04-10-2013, 03:06 PM
How much of each do you do on a weekly basis. How much is adult led and how much child led? What do you think is the right balance?

Didn't Truss say it should be 50-50?
Children should lead and follow their interests and, of course, in order to scaffold and sustain their learning adults need to lead and intervene at times...
the one areas I tend to stand back and observe a lot is play...children need to be leaders in that field...that's how they learn to resolve conflicts and reason for themselves but do join when asked to be part of it....

I once read a research article around reception children and did an essay on it....what annoyed children most was teachers constantly stopping their play and say: it's work time!!! as if play is not work???