PDA

View Full Version : Pacey no longer contracted to provide support for childmnders in Birmingham

Tazmin68
04-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Have received email this morning. We did have CCF networks and First Steps networks run by Pacey in Birmingham. Were under the impression that First steps were ok till December but looks like everything has finished. Saw coordinator Monday morning group but nothing since.

Email states: pacey is no longer contracted by Birmingham City council to provide local support to registered childminders.

All telephone numbers are no longer valid. Should any of the Pacey Birmingham team come onto this forum all we can say is good luck for the future as we cannot contact yourselves. Disappointed at the no notice given by Birmingham council.

AgentTink
04-10-2013, 11:10 AM
It seems so sad how blunt the message from your council is. Obviously these people have been working with you all for a while and so it would have been nice for it to be ended in not such an abrupt manner. Do you know who will now give you support?

Simona
04-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Same happened in my LA months ago...they detached from pacey CCF network and created their own model...then applied to pilot an agency but did not get chosen and have their network on hold until more news can be given to cms.

Tazmin68
04-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Yes we still have access to people at children and family services. It is the little things like the coordinators used to get the keys for the rooms, pick up the fruit which we would then put towards and for those of us who look after children who come from referrals how will anyone know which childminders have places for these children in need especially in light of the reports on child protection and social services which was only released yesterday.

ninagee
04-10-2013, 11:55 AM
I am in Birmingham as well. I have currently 2 children on the link scheme through the local children's centre. I don't know yet who will coordinate the referrals. I will try to find out next week. Where do I send the paperwork...?

Tazmin68
04-10-2013, 12:10 PM
That's what I am wondering. Who is going to link children to childminders if there is a referral. At the moment I have two under two year old funding which is fine but what about any future referrals. Some of these referrals come via ss and after yesterday's bad press who is going to help these children.

ninagee
04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Just received email and letter from the council to confirm the end of PACEY support. There is a transition period of a month. They will tell us mid October what happens next.

Tazmin68
04-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes I have just received two emails which confirm the same. However I do not think we will see anyone from pacey as all numbers have message on them and cannot speak to anyone so it dill all be down to council. I cannot see them having someone attend the first steps groups like pacey let alone have the time to go through referrals.

bindy
04-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Pacey no longer in my area too, been like that for over a year now, we have very little or no real support anymore! Shame

Simona
05-10-2013, 07:13 AM
I understand there are a few reasons why LAs have stopped their collaboration with pacey...or at least that I have heard of:

1. the cost ...my LA describes pacey as costly but not sure as they have not given a precise figure.
With central govt funding reduced the LAs had no option but to severe the ties.

2. To keep a CCF network the LA has to have Pacey come and Accredit it on a regular basis...Accreditation was, we could say 'invented', by NCMA when it launched the CMs Networks many years ago
Many LAs have now developed their own form of Accreditation and Quality Assurance ...Pacey used to have Quality First but no more so the LAs have done their own.

3. if any LA is thinking of becoming an agency in future, or indeed did apply to pilot one, they could not really keep the partnership with pacey because the association is against 'agencies'

Have you heard of any other reasons??

tulip0803
05-10-2013, 12:06 PM
My LA stopped the NCMA support about 18 months ago but re-hired the NCMA support worker as a council employee which was great although her remit is now all childcare. They have just sent out a survey asking about support and how much we value it (cuts coming?)

Tazmin68
05-10-2013, 12:41 PM
To be honest I have no problem with the CCF finishing but the first steps workers run the groups and also help link children to childminders when it comes to childcare link schemes. They also carry out annual reviews they also know what spaces childminders have. There is no way that a early years prof can carry these roles out as well as their current role. I really hope that common sense prevail and that they also look at employing a few of the first steps coordinators through the council directly. I have sent an email to early years to that effect.

Deb