PDA

View Full Version : One month childminding and already putting off paperwork!

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 08:19 AM
I've been doing dd for lo's but not started yet on LJ's as I am not clear as to what to be doing with them, also I am waiting for my camera to come to put in photos.

How often should I be filling in LJ's? Every day?

I've had some good idea's as to what to put in to them but they're a bit of a mystery to me at the moment!

Lo's are 17 months and 7 months.

I even struggle to find time to fill out the DD's and remember at what time every single nappy change was!

I'll get there in the end....

Zoomie
04-10-2013, 10:39 AM
In daily diaries, I just write a summary of where we went, what mood child was in, toys they favoured today, food eaten and length of nap and only if requested, whether they did a soiled nappy or not. I never put down the time.

For the learning journal, I try to do 2-3 observations per week (for a full time child), but some weeks I do 3 obs in one day and then none for a week. An observation is just something you have noticed the child do. When a child first joins there are lots of obs because I am noticing lots about the child. About once a month I print off photos and add them to the LJ, and do the development matter links and this feeds into my planning for the following month.

You just need to try a way of doing them, and if that works, then do it. If it doesn't work for you, then make changes.

In 4 years of childminding I seem to tweak the way I do things every six months or so. I am forever trying to reduce my paperwork workload.

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks so much Zoomie:thumbsup:

I will start off by what you've suggested, 2-3 times per week (have part timers so maybe once or twice)and see if I feel confident enough to tweak next month

dette
04-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Once you have your baseline assessments in place (recommended they are done by 6 weeks of starting )then your observations are basically every time they do a "first" for you or a parent tells you that they have achieved something.I make a note about it in the daily diary then I can refer back if I get behind in writing up my LJ's

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Ah that's a relief, so I still have a couple of weeks to complete the baseline assessments.

Thanks so much

Glitter
04-10-2013, 01:23 PM
I find it helps to fill in the daily diary as the day goes on.

For example, during morning snack time I write a few lines about what the child has done so far and what they are having for a snack, after lunch time I do the same, and again about an hour before the child is due to go home. I find this helps me to remember what we have been doing.
I only put in nappy changes if it was an unusual one.

I also do learning journals on the computer now. I check my emails most evenings and update the lj's at the same time. It only takes me about five minutes as I just insert a photo in to a word document and add few lines about it. On Friday evenings I get out Development Matters and sort out area of learning etc.
It has taken me six months to become this organised, but it is worth it as I never have a huge pile of work I am trying to avoid.

If only I could be so organised with the housework!

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Hi Glitter, thanks for that..so when you do the LJ's on the comp did you compile it yourself? Do you print it off or send it to the parents every day?

Glitter
06-10-2013, 06:28 PM
I just use a word document for LJ's and just update and print of each page when it is full. I then give it to parents every couple of months to take home (but because I have a working copy on my computer I can keep updating it while parents have the paper copy).

If parents had access to email I would like to send it to the once a month, but I would still have to print off a copy as Ofsted like you to have paper copies of everything.