PDA

View Full Version : Preschool vs childminder

Becci26
04-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Morning,

Just wondering how you sell yourself when up against a preschool.

A friend of mine currently has her son in a Pre school and is increasing his hours from January once he receives his funding. However, due to one thing and another its looking like there will be 6 hours she can't use there.

We were talking through options and I said that I can offer the funding and what about using it with me/ a cm which she was really keen on initially.

But, this morning I have had a text to say they have slept on it and really want him to go to a preschool...

I realise they have to do what is best for them but am feeling a little bit 'meh' as I the way I look at it is, other than the social side of it, I offer all the same things (and more probably with trips etc) as a preschool just on a smaller scale.

So for the future, how do you sell yourself and make it attractive to parents of preschool age children?

maisiemog
04-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Smaller setting means more one on one time and the opportunity to properly get to know their child. This then means I am more aware of their interests and can plan my programme according to their individual needs and interests. We can also get out into the community and experience things that they couldn't do in a preschool.

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Google it! Difference between childminders and nursery and I read some really good things through doing that.

Also, it seems to me there are two different types of parents that I have met so far, those that love the idea of a more formal structured setting (some tutor their child from 2yrs!) to get them ready for school and the kind of parents I have, than want a family kind of setting where you learn through play but the child gets that extra special attention and flexibility....

Simona
04-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Depending on the age of the child the parents may want to use a preschool as an experience in a larger group and maybe in 'preparation' for school?
this could work well if cm and preschool work together.

Preschools are usually term time only so has this parent considered if she needs care during holidays? and has she considered her options when her child starts school? who will pick the child up?

One of my children left for preschool recently but parents not aware that I could pick him up and care after the preschool session and holidays so he is now in after care there

Due to the recent changes it is worth updating our profile and services offered