PDA

View Full Version : Can you charge retainer & deposit for a place you dont yet have? Need help quickly!

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 06:23 AM
Hi guys

I met a lovely family of a baby boy of 5 months but I can't have him until January/February when one other mindee turns 1. However I do have a space for an under 5 left.

We didn't go in to too much detail about fees as they want to come back and see me again this week but seem to want to go ahead. So I sent them off with my terms and conditions and price fee's which state 50% of fees retainer each month plus on signing contract one months deposit to be held until last 4 weeks.

Now I know that they will ask me about this probably via email today and although I do have a space for an under 5 I don't have the space for him until January, what do I do?

New to this so not sure what can be done....please help!

Mouse
04-10-2013, 07:05 AM
You don't have space for this child at the moment, so cannot charge a retainer. You might have an under 5 space, but don't have an under 1 place. If you charge a retainer you are reserving the space for a child and parents are within their rights to use the space if they want to (paying the full fee). You couldn't let them use the space though, as it's not available.

You can take a deposit, but that is all.

You need to decide whether you want to hold the space for them, losing out on potential earnings from a child over the age of 1, or if you are going to tell them you can't reserve a place and they need to come back nearer the time.

What are they going to do for childcare between now and next year? Are there any days you could fit them in?

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Thank you Mouse

Mum is returning to work in January

I'm not sure about what to do....as I would prefer a part time child but this is full time, but need extra work..

I could do 3 days a week now, does that change anything?

Mouse
04-10-2013, 07:38 AM
If you could fit the child in for 3 days a week now I suppose you would be able to charge a retainer for those days as the parents could use them if needed.

Personally, I'd be tempted to keep looking for a part timer who fits the space you do have, but that really depends on what the work situation is like on your area and how easy it would ne to find someone else.

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 07:45 AM
If you could fit the child in for 3 days a week now I suppose you would be able to charge a retainer for those days as the parents could use them if needed.

Personally, I'd be tempted to keep looking for a part timer who fits the space you do have, but that really depends on what the work situation is like on your area and how easy it would ne to find someone else.

I am tempted too....didn't really come in to this wanting to work full time, I have had lots of under 1 parents come and visit but the two days under 1 comes are the most popular days for some reason and they cant wait until he turns 1. I'l keep pondering it...haven't signed anything yet nor have they come for second visit, just wanted to check what to say when they ask further questions......

Ideally I'd love a term time only child full time or a part time child.....:cool:

Chatterbox Childcare
04-10-2013, 08:03 AM
I would say one of 3 things:

1. Take baby on for days available from January and charge a retainer for what you have.

2. Have the baby in December for a couple of days and then a variation in January as mum changed hours

3. Look for what you really want!

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Thanks Mouse & Chatterbox

I am only one month in to child minding so really needed your advice!

I was thinking of charging a 30% retainer, or one months non refundable deposit if I go ahead, do these sound ok?

Her husband was adamant that they only need and want full time week from Jan/Feb, so it would either be yay or nay to the full time as part time is out of the question for them.

I'll wait and see what they say or ask and see in the meantime if there are other enquiries etc

Chatterbox Childcare
04-10-2013, 08:31 AM
You can't charge a retainer for a space you don't have. I know that you have an under 5 space but you don't have an under 1 space.

I would charge 1 weeks fees as a non refundable deposit (this way the parent shows commitment) and this would come off of the first months fees.

By taking this you are holding the last space you have, are you prepared to do that?

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 09:09 AM
You can't charge a retainer for a space you don't have. I know that you have an under 5 space but you don't have an under 1 space.

I would charge 1 weeks fees as a non refundable deposit (this way the parent shows commitment) and this would come off of the first months fees.

By taking this you are holding the last space you have, are you prepared to do that?

Hmmm not sure, it's not very much and I wouldn't have any money from them in the meantime to reserve that place, as you have pointed out I can't do the retainer fee.

Dad is coming around this afternoon, so we'll see....

Hmmm not sure!!!!!

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 09:12 AM
I am of that kind of nature, indecisive! Which doesn't help in this line of work.....

Honestly this is the part I most dislike, fees and that with parents coming over to your home to see if they like you etc, I find it quite pressured!

But hey-ho

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Dad just called me!

He said that they would be prepared to pay 25% deposit until Jan with settling in sessions in December, I said we could discuss this afternoon....

Not sure if I want to do full time! Aaarggghhhhhhh

Mouse
04-10-2013, 09:54 AM
I would be very wary for 2 reasons:

1) full time is not something you really want to do

2) dad seems to by trying to dictate terms before you've even got an agreement in place.

I'm afraid my parents don't have that choice. They either accept what i offer or I don't take them on. Some parents think that they employ you, so will say "this is what I am prepared to pay/do/not pay/not do". You need to remember that you are the business owner, offering a service and are in the position to say "this is what I charge and agree to do. Take it or leave it". Very often parents who start off setting their own terms only get more demanding as time goes on.

As a new childminder it can be quite daunting to turn down work, but my advice is to always hold out until the right thing comes along. Trust your instinct. If you're having doubts, don't do it.

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Oh thank you Mouse, sound advice!

I put off our afternoon meeting and told them we could meet next Friday, to buy myself some time. If I thought I could handle full time I would do it but with all the paperwork/cleaning/organising I don't feel too confident about it all...

I have the time, just not sure about the ability!

Mouse
04-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Don't doubt your own ability, but don't take on more than you feel comfortable doing either.

I've been a childminder for 17 years. Sometimes I've worked full time, others part time. I now work 4 days a week & love it! It would take something very drastic to make me go back to working 5 days again. As childminders we work very long days without a break, so my 4 day week actually works out at more hours that my husband's 5 day week. Then on top of the time spent with children you have paperwork to do, running the house, seeing to your own family etc. If you can manage financially on part time hours I'd stick to them for now. Maybe once your confidence grows you'll decide to go to full time, but the time needs to be right for you.

Have faith in yourself. You must be doing something right if you already have children on your books and more asking for places :thumbsup:

unalindura77
04-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Don't doubt your own ability, but don't take on more than you feel comfortable doing either.

I've been a childminder for 17 years. Sometimes I've worked full time, others part time. I now work 4 days a week & love it! It would take something very drastic to make me go back to working 5 days again. As childminders we work very long days without a break, so my 4 day week actually works out at more hours that my husband's 5 day week. Then on top of the time spent with children you have paperwork to do, running the house, seeing to your own family etc. If you can manage financially on part time hours I'd stick to them for now. Maybe once your confidence grows you'll decide to go to full time, but the time needs to be right for you.

Have faith in yourself. You must be doing something right if you already have children on your books and more asking for places :thumbsup:

Aww thanks so much Mouse!

Yes I think you're right! I'm not going to do the full time after all, maybe I will in future but it's not the right time. The children I have at the mo are very happy and so are the parents so you're right I have to look at it that way....must be doing something right!

Working from 8 to 6 is definitely hard work and the amount of paperwork and cleaning as well as the demand of being a wife and mother too!

I'll start off slowly and see what happens...thanks so much for your advice, you're great!