PDA

View Full Version : antibiotics

Mrsh3103
03-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Mindees mum has just text to say mindee is on antibiotics for sinusitis. It's in my pokicy that I don't take kids for the 1sr 48 hours of starting them.
How should I word my message back to her? Everything I've written I keep deleting. It either sounds too harsh, to uncaring or far too soft. Help me please

emma04
03-10-2013, 05:19 PM
I sent this text last week:

Hope it helps!

Hi xx
Antibiotics need to be administered for 24hrs before Xx returns to the setting, just to make sure they have taken effect. Xx also needs to be well in herself obviously. Also, just want to point out that a UTI is different to transferable infections like tonsillitis, these illnesses require 48hrs of med administration before a child can return to setting (sorry to sound so formal, but I'm reading my guidance sheets!) hope x is feeling better.

My policy is probably different to yours. I only exclude for 24hrs for uti's and other non contagious infections (ear infection) but for anything else it's 48hrs .

Mrsh3103
03-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Thank you. I've basically sent what you said! This is the 1st time since I've started minding that I've had to stop a child from coming. It feels horrible :(

emma04
03-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Thank you. I've basically sent what you said! This is the 1st time since I've started minding that I've had to stop a child from coming. It feels horrible :(

It was the 2nd time for me. Hence the reason I needed to explain the 24/48hr policy (parents are friends and would want to know why one was only excluded for 24hrs whilst the other had been excluded for 48hrs!!!
We have to think of everything to keep the peace and avoid confrontations!
It does seem horrid, but it's a policy to protect others and the child concerned, so don't feel bad

Mrsh3103
03-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Just got a message back saying he spat out the spoonful she tried giving him before bed so she doesn't think he'll be having them so will send him in the morning! Now what??

emma04
03-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Just got a message back saying he spat out the spoonful she tried giving him before bed so she doesn't think he'll be having them so will send him in the morning! Now what??

Let her bring him, but advise that unless he is able/well enough to participate in your daily routine, you will call her to collect and likewise if he develops a temperature!
Some parents beggar belief don't they? Does she not realise that the course needs to be taken to prevent a possible escalation in his illness!

I've just done my first aid course and minor infections like his can lead to more serious illnesses like pneumonia if not treated properly.

Mrsh3103
03-10-2013, 05:57 PM
I've said if he hasn't had any then it's fine for me to have him. Let me know in the morning how he is!

I'm a bit annoyed but hey ho

line6
03-10-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm probably being silly here but I'm new to this so please bear with me! Surely if he's poorly enough to need antibiotics then he should definitely stay away if he hasn't taken them? I don't understand that he is excluded if taking antibiotics but not excluded if he hasn't taken them. Surely he still has the illness? Can you explain this to me because my brain clearly isn't working!

Lottie
03-10-2013, 06:03 PM
I've said if he hasn't had any then it's fine for me to have him. Let me know in the morning how he is!

I'm a bit annoyed but hey ho

Then she should try again with the drugs in the morning! Unbelievable! His infection will only get worse. If he's been unwell enough to go to the doctors and been prescribed drugs, I would say no to tomorrow and leave it for 24 hours (not that he will get any better silly parent!) Mention to her she can get a syringe thingy from the pharmacy to administer meds.

Mrsh3103
03-10-2013, 06:04 PM
With the antibiotics the reason I'm excluding is just in case he has a reaction to them. I don't generally exclude for things like sinusitis if the child is ok in themselves & can take part! Otherwise I'd be constantly shut. My own children & hubby are forever coming down with things like that :(

Lottie
03-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Edit- Just a thought and call me cynical. Dependant on how many times a day he needs these anti-b's, it might be that he is on them, saying he's not, so she can bring him to you... It's terrible I think this way at times but over the years nothing surprises me anymore! Just suppose that is the case, then I would still say no to tomorrow.

line6
03-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks for answering my question. I am learning so much from reading this forum. Many things I would never have dreamt actually happen! But I see from everyone on here to always expect the unexpected!

emma04
03-10-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm probably being silly here but I'm new to this so please bear with me! Surely if he's poorly enough to need antibiotics then he should definitely stay away if he hasn't taken them? I don't understand that he is excluded if taking antibiotics but not excluded if he hasn't taken them. Surely he still has the illness? Can you explain this to me because my brain clearly isn't working!

This is true, but unfortunately it's very difficult and a bit grey! Yes it should mean that he is too ill to attend the setting, but if she chooses not to give the antibiotics and feels that the child is well enough to attend, then how can we refuse? We aren't doctors. However, by administering the antibiotic, parent is admitting the child is poorly and therefore has to follow policy.
It is confusing and a nightmare to be honest! If parents just took time out to care for their ill children, the complicated policy scenarios wouldn't be required!

This parent should be trying every which way to get the medicine down her child, rather than giving up at the first rejection, but the op cannot force her or refuse a child unless she deems them too unwell for the setting. Op can only advise the parent of the possible consequences; others becoming ill, child being upset, her being called out at any point.

This job is full of grey areas and confusing scenarios, everyone deals with them in their own way or ask advice. It's very hard sometimes but without parents it'd be easier!

emma04
03-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Edit- Just a thought and call me cynical. Dependant on how many times a day he needs these anti-b's, it might be that he is on them, saying he's not, so she can bring him to you... It's terrible I think this way at times but over the years nothing surprises me anymore! Just suppose that is the case, then I would still say no to tomorrow.

I'm cynical too then, but didn't want to say! Lol! I thought exactly the same as you! Parents never cease to amaze me and the ways in which they manage to wangle things to suit their needs regardless of the needs if their beloved children!

littlemiss60561
03-10-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm cynical too then, but didn't want to say! Lol! I thought exactly the same as you! Parents never cease to amaze me and the ways in which they manage to wangle things to suit their needs regardless of the needs if their beloved children!

Me three! First thing I thought of. Kids trip parents up though. I had one say he was sick 3 times in the night after mum said he had had a good night sleep. Asked mum and she said oh yeah I forgot to tell you.. Yeah right! Made her come get him. Maybe lol will tell you he took it in the morning!

Mrsh3103
04-10-2013, 08:30 AM
He's been here 30 mins & has told me his ears hurt 3 times! He's perfectly happy & is currently playing with my ds. She said she tried again getying him to have them this morning. I've said she needs to take him back to the drs but don't think she'll bother!
Beginning to think like some of you thst she's pretending he's not had them so I'll hqve him!
Feeling very annoyed. Poor kid!

Koala
04-10-2013, 10:43 AM
He's been here 30 mins & has told me his ears hurt 3 times! He's perfectly happy & is currently playing with my ds. She said she tried again getying him to have them this morning. I've said she needs to take him back to the drs but don't think she'll bother!
Beginning to think like some of you thst she's pretending he's not had them so I'll hqve him!
Feeling very annoyed. Poor kid!

Yep, me thinks Pinocchio has come out to play :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: