PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your sickness policy

smurfette
03-10-2013, 11:35 AM
How extensive is it?!! Because I had one today who went to doctor yest who said it was a virus and a mild ear infection and still came, and one earlier in week who I would say now had some kind of laryngitis ., and then an eye infection (and they rang me to say could they bring and I said yes cos caught on Hop but then text back and said take to dr or chemist in case eye is infectious and luckily they kept her home then cos she was in bad form)

Given we don't exclude for colds and coughs which are viral can we exclude for other viruses ESP if diagnosed by doctor? And how about eye infections.. I wouldn't exclude for conjunctivitis as long as treated ASAP but we all caught it then , is an eye infection different? My policy only really says vomiting and diarrohea and will send home if I don't think Lo is well enough but that does leave me open to have them arrive in the first place!!

EmmaReed84
03-10-2013, 11:51 AM

This is a copy of my policy.

I always stress to parents that although I do not exclude for colds etc, if the child is really unwell then I may have to send home.

For example, I had one child who had a cold, he went RAPIDLY downhill, at 2.30pm he was sobbing and fell asleep on the floor! I had to go to the school a minutes walk away, but it was pouring with rain and freezing cold! I ended up calling my neighbour to ask her to sit round with the sleeping child, called Mum up to explain, get her to collect and ask permission so I didn't have to wake him up and drag him out, and I also had to call the school to say I would be late, while I was arranging all this. I then had to get someone else to pick my own children up for me, and thankfully they dropped them off for me.

Because of this, when I see a child going downhill, I don't risk it anymore! I had to write it all up that evening, and although Mum was very happy with how I reacted, she did say, with hindsight she should have kept him home!

Colds can be just awful.