PDA

View Full Version : New parent late collecting

Rickers83
02-10-2013, 06:49 PM
I'm new to childminding & look after a child after school, the pick up time is later than I'd originally anticipated when I set up but I agreed it as most enquiries I've had are outside the times I had planned.
This is only night 2, but mum has been late collecting both nights 1/2 hour then 45 mins, with no phone call, I had to ring to see where she was. I have said she needs to call me & that there is a late charge. But how long do I let this go on before I say she needs to extend her contract times.... Plus it is impacting in my own children's bedtimes.
She has now told me tonight she is off work tomorrow so I'm not needed at all, that is still chargeable isn't it?
Sorry for the long post but I am new to it all
Thanks

Rick
02-10-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm new to childminding & look after a child after school, the pick up time is later than I'd originally anticipated when I set up but I agreed it as most enquiries I've had are outside the times I had planned.
This is only night 2, but mum has been late collecting both nights 1/2 hour then 45 mins, with no phone call, I had to ring to see where she was. I have said she needs to call me & that there is a late charge. But how long do I let this go on before I say she needs to extend her contract times.... Plus it is impacting in my own children's bedtimes.
She has now told me tonight she is off work tomorrow so I'm not needed at all, that is still chargeable isn't it?
Sorry for the long post but I am new to it all
Thanks

Only agree to something that you are comfortable with. If it is impacting on your home life then maybe you need to give notice,

Yes it is still chargeable as the hours on the contract are the minimum to be paid. It's not your fault they are not attending

Rickers83
02-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks, I wasn't sure as she is in her settling in period so no notice is required to terminate the contract, but all other aspects stand then?
Also it is only night 2 so I don't want to just give up although I can't do this long term my 5 year old has only just finished her reading and going to bed!

shortstuff
02-10-2013, 07:20 PM
I would point out to the parent that the agreed collection time is the latest you are willing to work till unless it is exceptional circumstances. You will charge late collection fees and tmw is payable as they are booked hours.

Remember you are the boss and you provide a service. If they dont like the service they can look elsewhere.

TooEarlyForGin?
02-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Hopefully you have her in a no-notice period for the first few weeks.

Advise her you are not happy with her picking up late and if she needs a later finish then you will have to terminate contracts.

Don't do anything you don't like as you only end up getting resentful.

This would ring bells with me, as she has only just started, usually everyone is on their best behaviour at the beginning (well maybe not the children) but then starts to get a bit slack, not straight away.

Good luck.

starlight1
02-10-2013, 07:36 PM
I would also explain..it impacts on the children if hey are expecting mum and she doesn't arrive...

I would also explain these are the hours you are contracted and these are the times you expect collection.

Yes tomorrow is chargable...I assume she has signed contract....

Rickers83
02-10-2013, 07:46 PM
I would also explain..it impacts on the children if hey are expecting mum and she doesn't arrive...

I would also explain these are the hours you are contracted and these are the times you expect collection.

Yes tomorrow is chargable...I assume she has signed contract....

Yes contract is signed, but as we are in 4 week settling in period I wasn't sure if standard contract terms were still enforceable

I don't think this child would be phased if she was left all night! ;0)

jackie 7
02-10-2013, 09:27 PM
For my 4 week settling they give 1weekz notice sfter gnat now it is 6 weeks notice. I hope you charge extra for overtime.

jillplum
03-10-2013, 01:01 PM
I would say be careful and dont get in to the habit of charging overtime fees as that can make the parent late all the time as thet think its ok as they are paying. Instead decide what your latest collection time is and stick to it. If Zmum wants to carry on the contract she needs ro pick up at that time or you will call the alternate pick ups listed on the record form.

littlemiss60561
03-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I had parents that were oblivious to their lateness affecting my family time. I made allowances ( hindsite is a is wonderful thing) for a while and although I phoned/ spoke to them etc I said I'd be enforcing my late payment fee from now on. I told them each time I'd be adding it onto the invoice so more than enough warning. They soon stopped after recieving An extra 150 on their monthly bill! Dad used to fall asleep playing x box. Phone off etc. I left a message once as was on a course for pick up ( 30 mins late) to be now from the venue and that if they or emergency contacts couldn't collect by 7 I'd be following policy and SS would be called. Funny enough..they called back immediately! I charged them for the taxi too as I'd missed my lift.
Be firm.its your business. Easier said sometimes I know, but give some people an inch and they take a mile x

littlemiss60561
03-10-2013, 02:18 PM
I would say be careful and dont get in to the habit of charging overtime fees as that can make the parent late all the time as thet think its ok as they are paying. Instead decide what your latest collection time is and stick to it. If Zmum wants to carry on the contract she needs ro pick up at that time or you will call the alternate pick ups listed on the record form.
Depends what your late fee is ! Mines £5 per 15 mins.

AdeleMarie88
03-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Start as you mean to go on, new parents are like new children, they push the boundaries to see what they can get away with, but once you say yes, they will keep pushing. Insist she collects on time, or the fee will be enforced. Any make sure you see this through! Also mention that you have things to do at the end of your day, you can't be messed around.

And yes charge for tomorrow!

Lottie
03-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Start as you mean to go on, new parents are like new children, they push the boundaries to see what they can get away with, but once you say yes, they will keep pushing. Insist she collects on time, or the fee will be enforced. Any make sure you see this through! Also mention that you have things to do at the end of your day, you can't be messed around.

And yes charge for tomorrow!

Couldn't agree more.