PDA

View Full Version : feeling lost!

buzzy bee
02-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I returned to cm 6 months ago after maternity leave and I'm finding it difficult to get back into it. I've lost touch with the only 3 childminders I was friends with. All the others in my area are quite unfriendly and I tried going to the local cm group a few times but noone really talks to me and it's too much effort to keep trying to make conversation.

My focus has just been on playing with the kids and caring for them - I haven't been doing any observations or paperwork at all.

I just wondered if anyone else has felt like this at any point and if you have any tips for me!

kellyskidz!
02-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Hugs xxx
Don't worry, I imagine it takes time to get back into the swing after time off
I was the same after I came back off mat leave when I worked at a nursery. I didn't know all the recent gossip, there was new staff I didn't know and everyone seemed to just want to talk about the baby and not me
It does get easier, you'll make new friends, you just need to get out there and be chatty
Maybe try some new groups and set a goal to start up a conversation with one new person at all of them. If they don't respond, their loss, and onto the next, more interesting, person. The beauty of this job is we can have any workmates we like, we're not forced to work with anyone we don't like so were free to broaden our friendship circle
Good luck xx

sarah707
02-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Do try to get out and about - it's good for you talking to adults at least part of the day xx

greanan
02-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Def try and get out and about every day. Even just a walk - it makes such a difference getting out and speaking to people. I'd now be lost without toddler groups!!

buzzy bee
02-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the replies and words of support. As sad as it sounds I actually feel ok about the no friends thing - I'm kind of enjoying doing my own thing and just being with the kids. We go to the park, walks, library, toddlers, soft play etc.

I just feel like although everything we do falls within eyfs I'm doing nothing to document it and no cpd or anything... and I don't really do any planned activities with them and don't have the energy to plan!

MessybutHappy
02-10-2013, 07:13 PM
But you are planning! You plan to go to the park, you plan to go in a walk, you plan everything! Just make a note. It might be worth looking at one of the on line systems - they seem very quick to set up and use and would give you some reassurance without much effort!!! Chin up, I'm sure you're doing better than you think! Have you got a development officer or someone who could help you prioritise?

yummyripples
02-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Buzzy bee I am like you. I don't do half the paperwork I should because I prefer to spend time with the kids. I also enjoy working alone rather than with other cms so that I can focus on their needs.