PDA

View Full Version : child refusing to let us take him home from school!

smartbear
02-10-2013, 01:30 PM
So what's the position? 5 year old, sort-of knows us (familiar faces from Toddler Group & nursery), 1st 2 days loved it but halfway home on third day refused to move, scratched & hit me when I tried to hold his hand, threatened to call police! Got him home & did eventually settle but not good for littlies.

Have to get him again today - anyone know what the legal position is if he refuses to go with me? Best option seems to leave him in school's care & contact parent but is this OK legally? Do not want to manhandle him through the streets!

We don't even do afterschool - this is a favour for someone I know who needed it otherwise she couldn't go to college. Her immediate reaction was to give up which I think is what the child wants, cos he said so. But she was SO pleased at getting the place!

kellyskidz!
02-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Threatened to call the police?! At five? I'd say its a power thing and I'd be laying down some very firm ground rules, wether he likes it or not!
It seems like he's used to his own way, and is used to making threats too
I'd speak to mum and ask her what she wants you to do if this situation happens again, will she want you to leave him at school and call her or will she want you to take him home kicking and screaming
If you feel you can't do this, dont! I'd be so embarrassed having a child do that to me, as well as being annoyed!
Hope this gets sorted for you soon xxx

sarah707
02-10-2013, 06:32 PM
If a child is that determined to have his own way I would be very worried about what stories he might make up :(

smartbear
02-10-2013, 09:00 PM
If a child is that determined to have his own way I would be very worried about what stories he might make up :(

Yes, the thought had occurred...

k1rstie
03-10-2013, 06:03 AM
The school would not be very happy if he refused to go with you! They would not want to be stuck with him, so I would suspect they would try to be helpful.