PDA

View Full Version : Nine children after school???

teacakepenguin
02-10-2013, 12:47 PM
I've just been approached by a mum who would like me to have her son for about half an hour after school one day. And it happens to be my busiest day.

I have 4 children myself, but only one of them "counts" as the others are over 8.

If I took this child on I'd have:

4y - mindee in reception class
5y - my son in year 1
5y - potential new mindee in year 1
6y - mindee in year 1
6y - mindee in year 2
8y - my child in year 4
10y - my child in year 6
11y - mindee in year 7 (who wouldn't arrive until after 3.45pm so new mindee would have left)
14y - my child in year 10 (who wouldn't arrive until after 3.45pm so new mindee would have left)

So - I'd have 5 under 8, one of whom is under 5 but she's not on the eyfs as she's now full time at school.

I'm within numbers, aren't I? Would you risk assess/do anything as I do feel a bit wobbly about the number involved.

Thanks
Jx

Chatterbox Childcare
02-10-2013, 01:06 PM
You are within your numbers and 1 to spare - you could have another 5-8 or under 5

JCrakers
02-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Yes, as long as you can manage. :D

I have 9 on my busiest day but I don't count my own children (11 and 14) They both do their own thing...14yr old in his room playing xbox online with friends and 11yr old out with friends mostly.
I did have an enquiry for 1 more but thought 10 would just be too much so turned it down.

teacakepenguin
02-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Thank you. The thought brings me out in a cold sweat, but we'll see! She did the preschool run for my son for one day a week for a year so I could start work on time so I really do want to be able to help her out, but eek at the numbers!!

I'm glad I have understood it correctly. Perhaps I should get my own kids to go out for the afternoon :)

Jx

Goatgirl
02-10-2013, 06:08 PM
It'll be fine :). Its only one more after all ;).
My problems with large numbers are
1) volume and
2) space to sit around the table at snack time. I did 2 sittings today, with 7 mindees :thumbsup:

On the plus side, I find that the more there are, the more likely they are to find things they want to do. :)

Nicola Carlyle
02-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Yes that's fine, I have:

8 on a Monday
11 on a Tuesday (with my assistant)
4 on a Wednesday
9 on a Thursday
9 on a Friday.

I'm very comfortable with the ones I have as they all get on really well and they are a great mixture of personalities. I think you will find it a but daunting the first few weeks but it should get easier. If it doesn't, reassess the situation.

yummyripples
02-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Yes that's fine, I have:

8 on a Monday
11 on a Tuesday (with my assistant)
4 on a Wednesday
9 on a Thursday
9 on a Friday.

I'm very comfortable with the ones I have as they all get on really well and they are a great mixture of personalities. I think you will find it a but daunting the first few weeks but it should get easier. If it doesn't, reassess the situation.

Bet you love Wednesdays lol

Nicola Carlyle
02-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Bet you love Wednesdays lol

ABSOLUTLY!!!!!! It's kind of become my mid week recharge lol! I do love my job but its very hard going sometimes. Really feeling it this week as we have had a few emergency covers come in and had to get my assistants in at very short notice but its all so worth it when you see them and when the achieve something they have been trying for a long time.

Biggest heartwarming moment this week - little mindee who doesn't say a lot said my name!!!! (She's wearing it out now love her but its just lovely) x

KatieFS
02-10-2013, 08:19 PM
I get some interesting looks from mums at school on tues and weds
7....... X2 babies, 1x2 yr old, 2x5yo, 1x6yi, 2x10 yo
Sounds a lot but we are a happy crew and the older ones look after each other too
The 10 yo are great company too. The things they come out with so funny

KatieFS
02-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Ha ha

It's actually 8

The Juggler
02-10-2013, 09:36 PM
i used to often walk to school or home with 11 children - 4 under 5's but the rest over 8 and in the morning sometimes 6 under 8 and 4 or 5 over 8.

smurfette
02-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Ha ha

It's actually 8

Did you leave one behind lol!!

KatieFS
03-10-2013, 09:56 PM
There are so many I forget numbers but know the names ha ha

teacakepenguin
03-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies, it may not materialise but it's good to know others are as barmy too.

Tonight at pickup I was 2 children fewer, as one of mine went to a friend's house, and a mindee was collected early. I spent the whole journey home thinking I'd lost someone!!

Jx

Bluebell
03-10-2013, 10:10 PM
definitely within numbers and that the children are older so can entertain themselves is a plus point and that some are you own so will entertain themselves and be in their space in the house, also one goes home before other arrives so attention wise and sanity wise for you I think its doable.
Risk assess and plan as you would for any new child / group of children and you'll be great. A fellow childminder has 1 night like this and she has made it food night - the children help her bake something - like home made pizza from scratch and then they either have it for their tea or take it home.
Make sure its cost effective for you though. if they are coming just for an hour or 2 and eating you out of house and home then make sure you are charging enough, and for petrol money if drive on school pickup.
I always find the after shoolies are starving and eat loads and also if they've had something once they want it every week - like we had milkshakes one week and now they want them all the time!

teacakepenguin
04-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Ah yeah I am lucky in that I walk to school, and that takes a long time sometimes for the journey home, once we've walked along the various walls on the way home and spoken to the local cats. I give the children a drink but I don't give them snacks as I found my kids would snack and then not be hungry for tea, so I brought tea earlier and we tend to eat about 4.45pm now, which is fine. I'm mean like that :D