PDA

View Full Version : Exceptions again (sorry!)

cockatoos
02-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Just wanted to ask you knowledgable people whether I can write an exception for school runs. I currently work with my partner as my assistant. He has paediatric first aid and normally does the school runs to pick up school children. Can I write an exception so that I can be left with 4 of the children so he only has to take one up to school with him? Obviously I would risk assess and let parents know. What do people think?

Thank you!
Amy

Nicola Carlyle
02-10-2013, 12:47 PM
I dont see why not. I think as long as you make parents aware then it is fine.

Nicola Carlyle
02-10-2013, 12:47 PM
As long as he's a registered assistant.

sarah707
02-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Variations are for continuity of care (yes) in exceptional circumstances (questionable)... maybe think it through - why is it exceptional?

hth :D

cockatoos
16-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Sorry - didn't write back on this one! Reasons for needing exception is when we pick up from reception at the school, it is down a flight of stairs that you cannot take a buggy down. If we take two children, we have to take them both out of the buggy and queue with them for a while to pick up reception children (seems to take ages for teachers to let then out!). With one child, we can put them on a carrier on our back, which makes it much easier and simpler for us, and much more pleasant for the child in question.

It is also better for the children left at home as often at least one child is sleeping so we don't have to wake them up, and the other children are often deep in play at this point, so better for them all round.

Getting myself in a right old twist about this! I am hoping that this will be ok for Ofsted! I think I'm happy to argue the case with them, but could do with your opinions too (thanks for those that have already posted!).

hectors house
16-10-2013, 03:01 PM
I would have thought that in order to provide the best care for the children staying behind with you that you should be allowed a variation - these children will be able to sleep as long as their bodies need and not be dragged out of bed in all winds and weathers - common sense would say yes, but would Ofsted? Who knows!