PDA

View Full Version : Noisy eater

Little Pickles
02-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Please help me! I have a 3 year old who is the noisiest eater I have ever come across ! I am not usually bothered or put on edge by such things and just gently help children to learn to eat with their mouths shut but this LO is so noisy and refuses to eat with his mouth shut ! Honestly you should hear him eat a banana !
Please offer me some wonderful words of wisdom!
I have tactfully tried to approach with parents as obviously it would be best to work together with them but they just laughed it off :rolleyes:

Nicola Carlyle
02-10-2013, 12:01 PM
I have two the same. Nothing to offer other than keep reminding them to eat with their moths closed, turn it into a game-see who can put a piece of food into their mouth, chew and then swallow without opening their mouth. Whoever manages it gets a sticker or a high 5 or something. I hate gone sound to!!!

singingcactus
02-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Put some music on. It should cancel out the worst of it, whilst still being okay to talk.

Haha, I swear to god I never used to notice how kids ate till I heard it mentioned so often on here.....drives me INSANE now lol.

We listen to Maori chants, african drums, asian music, all types. So it's at least extending their musical knowledge (oh, we also listen to metal, country, electric-folk, and rock and roll of course!).

greanan
02-10-2013, 02:59 PM
I have the radio on at every meal. Can't stand the sound of eating!!

Bambini2
02-10-2013, 04:40 PM
One of my 4 year olds hated others eating noises. He used to say "stop chomping":laughing:

sarah707
02-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Horrible :( We play lots of open and shut games :D

jackie 7
02-10-2013, 09:23 PM
When I was a nanny I wanted to put a mirror in front of the child so they could see how they ate.

Simona
03-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Part of the EYFS PSED is teaching children manners and in that is also learning to eat with their mouth closed.

This has to be a consistent approach both at home and in a setting...if parents do not do it at home we have no chance
so we need to work together with parents so they reinforce good manners...learning them is a process and takes time

Share it with parents as part of your PSED planning
Don't criticise children...they don't know that noisy eating is annoying or impolite...be patient and encourage good manners...it will pay off in the end.

How to teach your child to eat politely at someone else's table | BabyCenter (http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-teach-your-child-to-eat-politely-at-someone-elses-tab_10305058.bc)

Teaching Kids Food Manners (http://www.babble.com/kid/how-to-teach-your-child-to-eat-with-their-mouth-closed/)

emma04
03-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Please make sure this child is able to breathe sufficiently through their nose first. (I'm sure you have, but want to raise awareness of this)

My dd is almost 3 and suffers with severely enlarged anadoids and tonsils. They want to remove them, but unfortunately she is under 12kg and the anaesthetic would be too much of a risk (also has heart condition)

She is a very noisy eater, but tries hard to keep her mouth shut, but when you can't breathe its impossible. My dd also suffers from sleep apnoea (breath pausing during sleep) and is often tired and irritable during the day, so much so that you could easily confuse her with being a whinge bag, if you didn't know the cause!

I am studying all of the above in order to raise awareness of these issues in children. It's more common than I ever realised, especially due to the increased popularity of the common cold!