PDA

View Full Version : How up front would you be?

Tealady
02-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Had a lovely family (baby boy 8mths old) visit me last week. Just back from overseas so arranging childcare very last minute. Due to start Tuesday, coming to sign contracts tomorrow afternoon at 4pm. It is for 1½ days going up to 2½ in January.

However, we had a few negotiation points. Over holiday and deposit. I didn't change anything for them but explained why I couldn't and Mum said that was all fine, although in trying to negotiate, she did mention another CM they were keen on who could offer them better terms.

Because of this, I'm not entirely convinced I have it in the bag so to speak. Until I have contract signed and deposit paid I am not taking it for granted.

But I have another family coming tomorrow morning. Another 8mth old baby, wanting four short days a week, which I can do if the others don't sign. They are coming in the morning. This would be a November start as the CM they signed up with originally quit suddenly due to personal reasons.

Obviously if family 1 sign, I can't take family 2. However I don't know whether to let family 2 know about family 1 signing in the afternoon or leave it. I don't want to put them off if family 1 don't sign, but equally I don't want to waste their time if it then turns out I can't accommodate them.

munch149
02-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Just say you've had interest from another party which may jeopardise their space so it is only available on a first come first serve basis. If these people want you they will get it sorted ASAP and interest from others shows a good childminder. If the others sign contact them back straight away and apologise saying space is taken

Zoomie
02-10-2013, 09:53 AM
I would see the second family but state that you have had interest already.

Does one contract fit better than the other?
Which contract would mean more financially?
Does one family 'feel' better than the other?

tigwig
02-10-2013, 08:31 PM
I would go with whoever you feel more comfortable with and who would make more financial sense! That might sound mean but I now do what suits me best as when the boots on the other foot the parents sure as hell will! Sometimes I say if others are interested sometimes I dont and do it on a first come first served basis. Depends on which family I like best! !

sarah707
03-10-2013, 06:41 PM
What does your gut instinct tell you about the first family ? If they are quibbling about money now...

Hopefully you'll get a deposit soon and it will be sorted xx

funemnx
03-10-2013, 07:11 PM
The 2nd family would suit me better - 4 shorter days but what does your instict tell you? The first family are already trying to reduce the terms! :thumbsup:

Bluebell
03-10-2013, 09:53 PM
I'd have alarm bells ringing about the family being not happy about my terms and saying they have another childminder lined up - whats to say they wouldn't start with you and then move to someone else or quibble over other things.

Go with whoever signs up first, I always let people know that if I have other people interested its first to sign gets the space cos if I phone later and say 'I've got some one else interested and its first to sign on dotted line then it sounds pushy - even though its not - I just feel that way.

I've never taken a deposit but have now started to do this because even signing on the dotted line doesn't stop people changing their mind!!

good luck - I hope you get it sorted that suits you.