PDA

View Full Version : Calpol and similar

edayhouse
02-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Does anyone refuse to give calpol? And if so how would you word this in your policy. I'm getting a bit fed up of giving calpol and ibuprofen all day long to obviously ill children but of course it's always just 'teething' until we all get ill.
Thanks

jackie 7
02-10-2013, 08:56 AM
I had this then clamped down on it. Said children had to have signs of teething. Found an article about over use of calpol. Said I don't allow children that have to use calpol to control a fever. They go home. Put a bit in letter about being able to see a child has had it already. Also they had to go home if needed a second dose. I got firm. One mum wanted it to prevent a cold. That is when I nearly lost it.

emily79
02-10-2013, 08:57 AM
we refuse to give anything stronger than calpol and only in and emergency e.g temp spikes until parents can pick up in our policy we state this and they aren't allowed in if their temp is being controlled by medication so if they come back and temp goes up or we deem them to be ill we send them home again parnts soon learn!

Chatterbox Childcare
02-10-2013, 09:00 AM
I hardly ever give it. If it is teething then fair enough but only every 4 hours, teeth don't need it every 2

singingcactus
02-10-2013, 11:06 AM
As a general rule I won't give kids any type of analgesic. I do allow the odd variation but it is at my discretion. Tomorrow I probably will. One of my little ones has a viral infection. He is home today and on the mend, but he has an obviously sore throat. I won't allow him to be in pain all day so will give him a dose midday.
I won't give analgesics for colds, runny noses, to help them sleep, to prevent a cold!?. That is not what pain killers are intended for. For temperatures, there is a raft of alternatives before turning to paracetamol. Paracetamol should be the last remedy tried, not the first.
I haven't given paracetamol to minded kids for years. But like I say, that will with little doubt change tomorrow.