PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

funemnx
01-10-2013, 06:34 PM
It seems that 5 year old boy I mind has left his hoody at the local park this afternoon. Mum went to look and hasn't found it. Should I replace it?

sing-low
01-10-2013, 06:41 PM
It seems that 5 year old boy I mind has left his hoody at the local park this afternoon. Mum went to look and hasn't found it. Should I replace it?

It would depend on Mum! If she is very upset then for the sake of peace I would replace it. If she is less concerned then I would apologise and move on. Was it a very expensive one?

funemnx
01-10-2013, 06:44 PM
I think it must have been quite expensive as it was his favourite Batman one. I feel like I should wait and see what else she says but part of me just wants to text her now and say I'll pay.

On the one hand this boy is all over the place and has no concentration at all, but on the other hand I should have noticed he had taken it off! :blush:

sing-low
01-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Isn't is ALWAYS the favourite one?!

cupcakencookie
01-10-2013, 07:45 PM
This really doesn't help you but made me chuckle as I lost my 2 year old boy mindees shoe last week! After re-tracing our steps I decided it must be at the church where we'd been for toddler group (which was now closed!) Ended up buying a pair of goldlame pumps from the charity shop (all they had in his size!) I phoned the lovely lady who runs toddler group who remembered finding a shoe and putting it somewhere safe - but couldn't remember where! So mindee and I snook back into the closed church the next day and had a one sided game of hot and cold till we found the shoe under the kitchen sink! I would've replaced it with a proper pair if I hadn't found it as I felt so guilty although both parents insisted there was no need. Good luck with the hoody xx

samb
02-10-2013, 12:17 PM
I have a mindee who constantly get shoes off and i have thought before what would I do if I couldn't find a shoe? At first I thought I would replace but I could replace every week the amount she kicks them off! So now- I don't know!

How was mum? What did you decide to do?

funemnx
02-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Mum hasn't said anything yet & was fine this morning. 9 year old sister says mummy bought it in Poland (daddy's working there for a few months) so I probably couldn't replace it anyway. Mum might ask dad to get another.

I decided not to offer to pay unless it's hinted at - I did notice last week that I got their bill wrong in July and short invoiced them by £50+ which I can't ask for now (and mum never mentioned) so maybe we're quits ;)

hectors house
02-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Mum hasn't said anything yet & was fine this morning. 9 year old sister says mummy bought it in Poland (daddy's working there for a few months) so I probably couldn't replace it anyway. Mum might ask dad to get another.

I decided not to offer to pay unless it's hinted at - I did notice last week that I got their bill wrong in July and short invoiced them by £50+ which I can't ask for now (and mum never mentioned) so maybe we're quits ;)

I have bought a replacement sun hat for a pound in a charity shop and when I left behind at swimming pool a childs swim suit (and it wasn't handed in), I looked in charity shops but couldn't find one - luckily it was really too small for the child so mum didn't kick up too much of a fuss. I don't know what I would do if child came in new pair of Clarks shoes and lost one though as I would feel very guilty but wouldn't want to replace at £30+ a pair.

jillplum
02-10-2013, 12:56 PM
If a child has good shoes like clarks and is prone to kicking them off I just take them off. Cant afford to replave them!

Chimps Childminding
02-10-2013, 01:08 PM
If a child has good shoes like clarks and is prone to kicking them off I just take them off. Cant afford to replave them!

same here!!! TBH schools, nurseries etc wouldn't feel they have to replace something - why do we :blush:

charlottenash
02-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Children are allowed to bring Clark's shoes but I specifically request a pair of 'get dirty, get lost' shoes. Usually a pair from asda or matalan that parents don't mind losing. If we go somewhere special like a party etc the nice shoes go on and I'm super careful.

I lost a hat once which was an expensive Minnie Mouse type one and all I did was apologise. I am super careful but it happens.

AliceK
02-10-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure what I'd do with the child only being 5. My DD lost a winter coat at school last year when she was 5. I was very cross, not with her but just with the fact that it never got handed in to lost property and I had to buy her a new one pdq. I don't really think a 5yr old is terribly capable of remembering to pick up things like that that they put down so as a CM I would feel responsible.
I do the same with shoes, if a child is constantly taking them off in the buggy then I just remove them.

xxx