PDA

View Full Version : do u have an assistant? pls advice me

christine84
01-10-2013, 10:16 AM
HI all,
Just some advice pls. Esp if you have an assistant.
I am about to take on an apprentice to be my assistant. I have had 3 cv and need to interview. What would you advice I ask them in order to get the right candidate. One is 16, 21 and 19.

If you have assistants you would probably know what to look out for in a potentially good assistant.
What should my emphasis be. How might I gauge if they woulc be commited and not regularly miss work?

Boris
01-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Trust your instinct!
My mum is my assistant so I didn't need to interview. Do you have your own children? Maybe you could observe how they are with them? I would probably quiz them on their knowledge of safeguarding and general child development. If they are apprentices they should have some knowledge or able to demonstrate that they have a bit of common sense!
I know this sounds really snobby but remember that it is your business and your reputation so I would go for someone who looked nice and spoke nicely! :blush::blush:
And make sure you get references! xx

Chatterbox Childcare
01-10-2013, 12:49 PM
I would discount the 16 year old myself as they cannot be an assistant in the form of leaving a child. There are rules and they must be aged 17 for one register and 18 for another.

I would look for experience, college course, level 3, safeguarding, do they have first aid. All the things someone in our field should have some of, if not all.

christine84
01-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Thank you very much chatterbox and boris. You have made very important points.
Xx