PDA

View Full Version : to give up minding or not......

sassy
15-07-2008, 07:18 AM
hello, i have been thinking about it for a long tome,

my daughters are 9 & 12 yaers old, so i could be out there working

you know meeting & talking to adults, i find childminding really lonely, i do have a few friends who are childminders and we do get together, but if we don't i find i am stuck in my little house the whole day, and it does my head in

i start work at 6.45 am and then collect another child for 7am then do 2 school runs and then i have 1 full timer, i have even found other childminders who are willing to care for the children i have

there are so many pro's and con's to childminding and working

like everyone says we have good days and bad days i know, some times i love it but with the summer holidays coming up i am dreading it, i feel lost and have done since i started, i just dont know what to do, i just want to be happy, no toys every where, no paper work, no one to boss me around, ect

please help x

littlewonders
15-07-2008, 07:26 AM
:group hug:
Aw Sassy, I don't really know what to say, I was close to giving up a week or so ago but that was due to having no children.
You need to do whats best for you are there no local parks near you, do you go to any toddler groups?

I hope you feel better soon, I really do.. xx

wendywu
15-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Sounds like you have made your mind up. If you are fed up now then you will be even more so come the EYFS.:(

Blackhorse
15-07-2008, 08:04 AM
...I haven't even started yet, but I was recently in the position where I had to decide if I wanted to start childminding or stay in my current office job.
Only you know what is best for you, but maybe you just need to write it all up in front of you and then see what you prefer.
What to do:
Write a list of pros and cons about childminding and then write a list of pros and cons about working in an office (or whatever it is you want to do)
You will soon find out which one you seem to come up with all the positives...

This has helped me in the past to get my thoughts organised...
Might work for you too

Good luck with whatever it is you decide...

...oh and bossing around and loads of paperwork definately a trade in my old office job :rolleyes:

katickles
15-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Like the others have said - its a decison that you'll have to make that one.

I agree that maybe writing up a list of pro's & conns maybe a good idea as you have a few baddies but not many goddies on your post.

Did you go into childminding so that you could be at home with your children then? Now that they have gone is it a case of thinking why am i still doing this?

I guess what works for some doesn't work for others.

I hope that you come to a desision that makes you happy.

Good luck :)

Tatia
15-07-2008, 08:16 AM
It's a hard decision. I've recently been thinking about going back to work myself now that my DD is in full-time education, come September. I'm in no hurry and may very well just take my time until the perfect job comes along. But then again, I get really sad when I think about giving up this work cos I really love it and I'm really good at it, too. And some of the children I've had for 3 years, watched them grow. I feel really, really torn up inside about making the decision.

If you don't, then maybe you have your aswer. Best of luck, whatever you decide!

sarah32
15-07-2008, 08:17 AM
sassy

I know how you feel, im going through this at moment, I find the job very lonely and crave adult company. Like you said my worst hate is having all the stuff that I wouldnt have now my two are older like so many toys, highchair and travel cot.:mad:

My children are 5 and 7 and are school so I could go and get a job. Ive recently applied for a teachers assistant job at the local school, this is something Ive always wanted to do but unfortuntely not heard anything.:(

I dont feel as bad as what I did about childminding, Im happy doing it at the moment but dont see myself doing it for ever.

Do you go to any groups? this had helped me alot, I go to two groups a week and recently made some new friends (childminders) and meet up regularly for a chat.

Any time you want a chat pm me:)

sarah

foxy lady
15-07-2008, 01:37 PM
i dont really know what else i can say .
i hope you make a good choice and are happy in what you decide to do

Nix
15-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Sassy

Sorry you are feeling that way...only you can decide what is best for you but I am only in Frimley so if you fancy meeting for a cuppa and some adult company let me know!

Nix,x

disney
15-07-2008, 04:31 PM
oh hun im sorry you feel like this i know its awful isnt it ? i only started minding last september and if im honest some days i feel just the same :( and have and im sure i will be writing a thread my self about how i feel , but for now its about you and iwish you all the best in making the right choice x

sassy
17-07-2008, 05:25 PM
well i have now applied to my very local pre school, as a day carer, they are becoming part of a new childrens centre, it sounds very exciting

fingers crossed for me, i would love it,

many thanks for all your kind words, x sassy x

Minstrel
17-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Good luck XX
Hope you get it - it seems you really want it

amanda xx

Rach30
17-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Yup i know what you mean. I have been in buisness a year and my numbers have ranged from one one to ten kids on my register. A lot left at xmas due to a change of school and i honestly thought thank god ! My full timer has left today , which leaves me with one part timer and P/T school holidays only. Luckily i'm in a financial position to just stick with these and i have no plans to take on anymmore. Both my children are at school F/T but the hate the fact that other kids are here when they come home . And to be honest because i've been working everyday you get to a point where you feel like screaming GET OUT OF MY HOUSE !!! :laughing: Obviously i dont do that lol. Anyway enuf about me ! Hope you get the job you've gone for and hope it all works out for you , keep us posted. :thumbsup:

lavenderrose
19-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Just a thourght but what about Childminding part time and getting yourself another job as well. You might decide you want to be at home when the children are off School, on the other hand you might decide you would rather pay for childcare yourself in the hols. At least if you go part time you wont have to give up your registration straight away.
I dont know if anyone else here does that.
I will be looking after my Grandson (7mths) for three days and am working for two in School. But i have decided to go minding full time now.
Something to think about

Monkey1
19-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Thats a good idea, that way it keeps your registration going incase you decide you want to go back to it full time x
I often think of it, but i couldn't make as much money as i do now. My friend is thinking about giving up, and me being the supporting friend that i am...............................am trying to think which of her mindees i have got room for!:blush: :blush:

SonnysMummy
19-07-2008, 07:48 AM
If you give up childminding you can keep your registration going by paying the registration fee each year, can't you? That way you can go back to it if you decide to?