PDA

View Full Version : Medicines

migimoo
01-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Quick question...am I right in thinking that we can only give children medicine if it's been prescribed?

I've had 2 mums turn up this week asking me to give their LO's cough medicine during their session with me-I've said I'm not allowed to but now I'm doubting myself.

kellyskidz!
01-10-2013, 10:14 AM
I've given Calpol before and its not been an issue, Ofsted saw it signed into my medication book and didnt say anything
Although minders DO prefer it to be prescribed in general, the parent in question had called at the supermarket for this medicine, signed it in, and told me she was a bit 'off it' with her teeth and if I was ok could I give her some Calpol if she needed it. I felt ok with giving her a spoonful later on in the day as it was a one off and the child was teething
I think it depends on you, most cms asked for Calpol to be prescribed as doctors will do that and anyway, if child is ill they should be at home really xx

migimoo
01-10-2013, 03:12 PM
I'd be happy giving Calpol as ONE emergency dose (in the event of a high fever for example) just sure I remember something about medicines having to be prescribed from first aid training.

Then again on my online childs LJ they have a section for medicine permissions and the cough syrups ARE on there :panic:....think I'll stick to my guns-as you said if LO is too poorly to get through the day without medicines they they shouldn't be here anyway.

sarah707
01-10-2013, 05:00 PM
A pharmacist can recommend medication as well :D

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Giving medication to children in registered childcare (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-giving-medication-children-registered-childcare)

Ali56
01-10-2013, 06:49 PM
I have a form for parents to sign which states I will give paracetamol to teething babies/children after seeking permission from parents, if it is over four hours since drop off time and I can't contact parents then I use my common sense. Parents sign at the end of the day, and I always send a text to say its been given. It also states that I will give paracetamol as a one off dose if a fever spikes, parents will be notified and child will be sent home. Ofsted seemed happy with that. Not sure what I'd do for other no prescribed, tend not to as I feel if children aren't well they should be at home. x

greanan
01-10-2013, 06:54 PM
I've given calpol a few times for teething, colds etc

maisiemog
01-10-2013, 08:25 PM
I have in my policy I will administer calpol with permission. It also states that although I will use my discretion, if a child is ill enough for me to feel the need for calpol they are ill enough to be sent home and it will be given to ease a child's discomfort while they wait for collection. I hate giving it! I give it my DD so rarely that our last bottle went out of date! I'm even more selective about when mindees get it!