PDA

View Full Version : Positivity needed!

BabyCariad
30-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Hello, I am a newbie here :)

I have just booked into my region's next Pre-reg information session - I am very seriously considering becoming a childminder. I have two children, aged 7 months and 5 years, and will be giving up a job in pharmaceuticals. I love being with children and I think I can offer a really good, fun setting here. I'm also really fascinated by child development and learning.

I'm really excited about my new venture, but I have been disappointed by the reactions of almost everyone who I have mentioned it to. Everyone seems to focus on the negative points and are baffled by why I want to trade a well-paid job in science for one in childcare (even though I am currently bringing home less than £1000/month due to childcare costs).

I have researched the good and the bad about childminding and discussed them all with my husband. We are prepared for me to earn a lot less money, we are prepared for parts of our home to be taken over by childminding 'stuff', we know there will be A LOT of paperwork and many hours spent in the evenings completing it, we are prepared for awkward parents, late payments, and uncertain times while I'm trying to fill places.

Despite all these, I am trying to focus on the good things that childminding will bring - helping to guide and develop the children in my care, providing the type of service that I so struggled to find in this area when I went back to work, the opportunity to be at home for my children and pick my daughter up from school every day, and the opportunity to work for myself.

I'm looking for some positivity please?! This is a good idea, right?!!! I don't know why I am letting other people's reactions get to me so much, perhaps I'm just wobbling because it's not all concrete in my brain yet!

Thank you!

Little_steps
30-09-2013, 07:26 PM
You have just explained to me right there why you want to do it, do it for you and your family. Stuff other peoples,opinions! You get to spend time with your own children whilst earning at the same time and you don't need to worry about childcare ever again!

I'm about to be registered, have doubted myself today but it's coz I'm nervous.

Do what's right for YOU.

X

WibbleWobble
30-09-2013, 07:32 PM
I had a job as a nurse consultant in the local hospitals pharmacy. It was a very well paid job. I hated it and was more than happy to leave when there was a structure change. My kids are grown up so I didn't have Childcare costs. But I wanted a job I would enjoy.... And this is it!

My parents were pretty awful about it... Dad was a teacher and he thought I was wasting my nursing degree.

Now they see me as happy.... Fulfilled.... Content

Do what you want....ignore others. They have no idea

Wibble xx

KatieFS
30-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Quite right stuff other people's opinions!

I've been minding nearly 2 years and its so wonderful to have time with my own children. That's by far the best thing.
I have an interest in child development too and it's been great to get more involved and work with children.
Cm Job can be very rewarding, seeing progress with a child and family is fantastic.
Working from hone is brilliant. I'm able to provide a warm home environment for my children.
Yes there are downsides. As long as you have properly considered those that's fine... You do have a great job. I made the move after considering for about 6m. Left a good job in management, good salary pension etc. don't miss anything about the old job and the move has been good for me and my family. My biggest mistake was to assume all families were a bit like mine. Big mistake!!!!!

Downsides - for me - money can be unreliable, some months good some bad and not always anything you can do about it. I would have a look at amount of minders in your area to see if there will be work for you.have a look at nurseries around too. I know a new one has opened here and def less enquiries.
Can take over your house a bit. I wish I had play room.
My 5 year old sometimes feels bit pushed out by older ones. At first try to take babies if you can
Your good and bad days sometimes can't be controlled by you eg frustrated child, poorly child squabbling. You'll see enough of the posts!

It is wonderful to work with children. Is a bit if an adjustment at first I guess if you've not done it before like me but once you've got a routine for your children paperwork etc its fine

Good luck x x

migimoo
30-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I was a nursery nurse (deputy manager) and not one colleague had a positive response to my leaving to CM "oh god-you'll be stuck on your own in the house all day/you'll be bored/will earn no money/your house will get wrecked/there's SO much paperwork" etc.

Well It was the best thing I ever did and I wish I'd done it when my own kids were little-I love being my own boss,setting my own timetable and planning,we are out and about every day and I'm certainly never bored,paperwork is a pain but I've just started using an online system that helps a lot.
I earn approx 3 times what I used to earn-yes,I now work full time for that but I wake up every morning looking forward to my day and all my parents think I'm fab so I'm doing something right!:D

The one downside is having no adult conversation but that's what childminding groups and the forum are for!

The Juggler
30-09-2013, 09:04 PM
i gave up a well paid job. I never saw my kids (they were in bed when I got home and we dropped them off at 7.30 every day) to childmind.

I earned less than a £1,000 when I started out as only had 1 under 5 and a schoolie, but without the childcare, lunch costs and commuting costs I was quids in even a few hundred under the 1k mark. Then i picked up more under 5's and more schoolies and was earning as much as I did in my old job and as time went on over the 9 years I earned more.

On top of that I got to spend time with my kids, be here when they were sick, take them to school and got funded to do a level 3 , a foundation degree and most of my last year to get my degree was also funded. So loads of benefits. :thumbsup:

Now my kids are in high school and it's the right time for me to go back out to work - I did, hand on heart, miss workingwith other adults but I wouldn't change the last 9 years for a second - it was the best for me and best for my kids but i absolutely loved the kids and families I worked with and felt I made a difference in their lives.

Go for it. :thumbsup:

blue bear
30-09-2013, 09:15 PM
I've been a childminder for nearly 17 years now, can't be that bad can it? Yes it has it's ups and downs but I love it:clapping:

Simona
30-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Childminders are a fairly positive bunch but above all very resilient.
Good luck and join the club!

karen m
01-10-2013, 07:46 AM
I started out as my daughter needed to go back to work , that was 7 years ago but how I wish I had done it when mine were small, yes good days, bad days , good families , bad families but when a child suddenly managed something new ..... Fantastic and yes go to groups meet other minders

WendyLudlam
01-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Go for it! I am halfway through my registration and will be giving up my job as a lawyer. I can't wait....especially as I will be able to bring up my 8 month old myself rather than someone else doing it for me!

All the best :) xx

BabyCariad
01-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Thank you all so much! Feeling much better today, and really excited about the adventures ahead!

Wendy, we will have to keep each other updated on how it's all going. Good luck!

Xx

WendyLudlam
01-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Sounds great! Good to bounce thoughts and ideas off each other! X