PDA

View Full Version : So mad feel like giving notice!

CLL
29-09-2013, 11:00 AM
I am hoping writing this down here now stops me from giving notice to patent tomorrow.

Anyway parents texts Wednesday morning, her and hubby been up all night with food provisioning but lo fine so her sister will bring her to me. Said she has been really clingy and funny because of her new tooth and if she gets worse just to call and she will pick up. So auntie brings baby at 8am, baby cries all morning and refuses to eat. Then at lunch time has really bad nappy. Phone mum to collect, told her that they must have sickness bug and not food poisoning as lo has it as well. Mum really sheepish when collects. Oops hope you don't all catch it. Well I did catch it, I have never been so violently ill. Had to close for remainder of the week and let others down and loose money. Cheek of it, she wanted to bring baby again on Friday. I was still in bed sick anyway. My husband has been so ill we took him to hospital. He spent his birthday in bed when all his friends celebrated as they had bought none refundable tickets. I have now spent 2 days cleaning my house. I can not stop feeling so angry. I know they knew they sent her to me sick and it pisses me off so much. Sorry for the rant. Just tell me how you all deal with these situations when they arise as I know I am not the only one.

Lottie
29-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Oh I feel so sorry for you! Hope you're feeling much better now?!

In my policies I've written that if the parents are unwell they must inform me and I will make a decision as to whether I will look after their child, even if child seems ok, (because of norovirus, flu etc being so rampant and infectious).

In this situation I would give a one and only formal warning. She does it again and the contract is immediately terminated. (I would check with MM or Pacey first though as you may have to change contracts).

Memina
29-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Omg I would also be livid!!! Im afraid (touch wood) until now I've never had this so dont know what id do. I would maybe put it in writing that due to thier inconsiderate behaviour you have lost earnings and other parents too.

Sometimes people are so ignorant and must be told!

However I would then resend my sickness policy to every parent and ask them to review it and sign that they fully understand it. I would be issuing a warning and if they did anything remotely similar I would terminate with immediate effect.

Im so sorry for you. Hope you all get well soon x

CLL
29-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Oh I feel so sorry for you! Hope you're feeling much better now?!

In my policies I've written that if the parents are unwell they must inform me and I will make a decision as to whether I will look after their child, even if child seems ok, (because of norovirus, flu etc being so rampant and infectious).

In this situation I would give a one and only formal warning. She does it again and the contract is immediately terminated. (I would check with MM or Pacey first though as you may have to change contracts).

I wanted to put this in my policy at start but DO said we couldn't exclude child on grounds of maybe going to get sick. But I guess it is my business, not sure how Ofsted would view this type of exclusion though. I have Pacey contracts with all the small print so I would be covered for immediate termination. Just feel like I am over reacting but can not seem to help it. Feel like if I say anything at all I will loose it completely and tell her to take child back home again.

CLL
29-09-2013, 11:32 AM
And thank you both for your support. This job sometimes feels very lonely and we are easily taken advantage of. Feel like telling her due to having to look after dh I can not have her child till wed.

KatieFS
29-09-2013, 11:43 AM
We were just talking about such a situation as some of my babies have had nasty colds and ice now got it joy!

This is so naughty. The parent should not have brought the child to you!

Make sure parent knows how much it has affected you. Your poor hubby!!!

I think you can give notice about this depends what's in your contracts, it's in my pacey one- but if no other issues with them, I'd be tempted just state how much of an affect its had and will monitor closely if this happens again will have no option but to review parents contract etc

Lottie
29-09-2013, 12:23 PM
I wanted to put this in my policy at start but DO said we couldn't exclude child on grounds of maybe going to get sick. But I guess it is my business, not sure how Ofsted would view this type of exclusion though. I have Pacey contracts with all the small print so I would be covered for immediate termination. Just feel like I am over reacting but can not seem to help it. Feel like if I say anything at all I will loose it completely and tell her to take child back home again.

Ofsted don't deal with any thing contractual so this isn't an issue. In my contracts it states that the policies form part of the contract.
I guess it could be an issue with, as you mention exclusion. However, my counter argument to that is safeguarding the other children and parents from contagious illnesses.

You are not over reacting. I would be livid! That's why I'm so strict with this kind of thing. I think when you feel calm and well enough, you should sit her down and be honest with her, explain how unwell you and your husband have been, refer her back to your contracts and policies. She may not understand the implications of what's she's done. Watch her reaction. Give her a formal warning (if you want to) but in a nice way because otherwise she'll feel penalised and react badly.

I think right now after everything you've been through terminating with immediate effect, however nice that sounds at the moment, could be a wrong decision in the long term. What I'm trying to say is don't burn your bridges until you feel better in yourself and can reflect on the situation.

WibbleWobble
29-09-2013, 12:34 PM
I have a passage in my sickness policy which says if a a parent sends their child to me knowing they are ill with d and/or v I will terminate the contract immediately. I will not let my family or my other mindees be at risk due to selfish behaviour. And as Katie has diabetes this sort if illness is potentially dangerous.

Funnily enough I don't have that problem any more.... Putting the bit about Katie has made them think. All my parents love Katie !

Wibble x

smurfette
29-09-2013, 01:16 PM
I have had this in the past ,

Parents had vomiting bug but because Lo didn't go down with it I had her. She did go down with it between her next due sessions and so I didn't exclude her... I was cross really becuase lo was ad hoc and i didnt charge if didnt come!!

It sounds a bit to me As though your Lo hadn't actually had the sickness or diarrohea so I am not sure uou could really exclude without alienating and losing parents.. We wish parents would be more considerate but I guess they felt they needed to be in bed and weren't up to looking after Lo and had paid you anyway! Don't know why auntie Didn't look after Lo!

If on the other hand uou know for sure Lo had been sick or had diarrohea before coming that was clear breach of your contract.

Hugs for you all hope u feel better soon xx

The Juggler
29-09-2013, 01:57 PM
so sorry you all got so ill and your poor hubby. It is disgraceful that a parent should knowingly send a sick child. However, I agree (playing devils' advocate) that child might not have been ill when they sent her and thought maybe sending her to you would prevent her being near them and catching it. As it was a bug it was not surprising she did eventually get it.

I know parent looked sheepish but that doesn't necessarily indicate guilt on their part for sending her sick. If I'd sent a well child who then went down with something and all the CM's family caught it - I too would still feel guilty.

It's so hard as you can't exclude a well child just because parents are sick/sibligns are sick but I do know also that some parents take the micky.

big hugs

CLL
29-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Thank you all for your balanced opinions. I have just been to m&s and bought some lovely food so I now feel a tad less angry :) . I will let her know that we were very ill and that we must all be more vigilant in the future. We are hoping to emigrate to Canada in 6-8 months time so don't really want to cause an upset between us as lo is fab and they pay on time. I know lo was ill when she came, they then passed it to the aunt (who teaches in my sons school) and instead of taking next day off work grandparents had lo and then they got it too! I know they have busy important jobs but they don't seen to care they are infecting everyone. Role on April when I can hopefully hand in my notice and we can begin our new lives in the prettiest town in Canada.

Mrs Scrubbit
29-09-2013, 06:25 PM
I had the same thing done to me 10yrs ago ( it came out of baby both ends!), mum was a nurse too!. I was so cross as she knew that my son was having a party to celebrate his 18th at the w/end, thankfully it was only me that became ill with the same but nevertheless we had to cancel the party:angry: xx

hectors house
30-09-2013, 06:38 AM
How can anyone say sickness is "food poisoning" without having it confirmed as such or unless they had eaten something unusual like shellfish which can sometimes be dodgy - I think I would rather tell someone that my family has picked up a sickness bug rather than say my cooking is so :censored: that I have poisoned everyone! Hope you are your husband are feeling much better - just try to take things easy this week as I don't expect you are back to full strength yet - if you can't go out and about or do as many crafts/activities with the mindees you can blame this selfish parent.