PDA

View Full Version : List of companies involved in trials of childminder agencies released

AgentTink
28-09-2013, 01:32 AM
https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/improving-the-quality-and-range-of-education-and-childcare-from-birth-to-5-years/supporting-pages/childminder-agencies

Here is the list from the link, any surprises anyone:
Trial of childminder agencies

After reviewing proposals from over 100 different organisations interested in being part of our trial, we selected the following 20 organisations to help us test and develop the scheme:

Family Info Link - stockport - Family Info Link (http://www.fil.org.uk/)
St Bede’s Academy
Liverpool Council
Salford Council/Rochdale Council/Wigan Council
@Home Childcare
Entrust Ed
NoelQuinnLtd
Telford Council
Buttercups Nursery
Riverside Childcare
Merton Council
Broadclyst Community Primary School
Trio Childcare
Bournemouth Council
South Gloucestershire Council
First Year Childcare
Calderdale Council
Rutland Council
Warwickshire Council
Hampshire Council

More information as the trial progresses can be found at foundation years website under link case studies:
Childminder Information | Foundation Years (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/child-minders/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=childminder-agencies)

snortlet
28-09-2013, 04:13 AM
Thank you for posting this x

Simona
28-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Thank you for posting this x

As predicted and on time the announcement was made and without much fanfare!!

SammySplodger
28-09-2013, 07:36 AM
I am particularly irritated and cynical about the Q&As - Wonder who made these up?

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Popular-QA-re-CMAs.pdf

SammySplodger
28-09-2013, 07:39 AM
I can't see any near me - I'm Sussex.

SammySplodger
28-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Just noticed Merton & Hampshire. Both still quite a distance from me.

blue bear
28-09-2013, 07:48 AM
I have mixed feelings about councils running agencies, yes they will have the local knowledge and expertise but surely it means independent chikdminders will no longer have any support at all?
Scares me, how will a school best represent childminders it's chalk and cheese, still you never know do you.

oxfordshirecm
28-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Great- trio is in my area- I am part of there network - and got all of my training and support through them. Advice needed- shall I request to have my network connection with them cancelled? Really not happy and worried now :(

Simona
28-09-2013, 08:27 AM
I am particularly irritated and cynical about the Q&As - Wonder who made these up?

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Popular-QA-re-CMAs.pdf

I think the FAQs are a good warning to cms who may think about volunteering for the trials just to find out

Until we have all details cms should not volunteer...no one knows what they are signing for...once the feedback is out then cms can choose what to do!
Read carefully what the agencies will offer cms and how as independent we can match that support...it can be done as plenty accredited trainers will support us.

It was obvious that LAs would succeed in being chosen...most parties are LAs!!

Join the LinkedIn group for Independent cms and discuss
http://www.linkedin.com/myGroups?trk=nav_responsive_sub_nav_groups

SammySplodger
28-09-2013, 09:24 AM
The bit that concerns me most in the Q&As is Q11, which insinuates that independent CMs won't be as good, because agency CMs will be inspected more frequently. It's something we must bear in mind about our way forward. We need to counter this. What do you think?

loocyloo
28-09-2013, 09:30 AM
i'm intrigued about Hampshire ...

childminders USED to be looked after by NCMA in Hampshire.

they were excellent, but Hampshire scaled back the amount of involvement/support they offered.

I've emailed a few childminders where I used to live, but have heard nothing back ... will keep on!

Ali56
28-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Our local council doesn't seem to be involved, but trio is very close to us. :(

Simona
28-09-2013, 09:42 AM
The bit that concerns me most in the Q&As is Q11, which insinuates that independent CMs won't be as good, because agency CMs will be inspected more frequently. It's something we must bear in mind about our way forward. We need to counter this. What do you think?

Yes Sammy...I have been saying this all along...we need to compete with agency cms and seek support to equal theirs...not just info sharing and peer support but much more
As said there are plenty of EY independent trainers and consultants willing to help...remember I mentioned NEYTCO?

That is exactly why I joined them..take a look as well.

The message is that agency cms will be 'well supported' to reassure parents of their quality...no mention of any cost to receive this support though!!!!

Loocyloo.....Pacey would have been against Hampshire trialling so you may find they are not connected anymore and the LA has gone ahead with the trials
I had always envisaged LAs would be the most successful in being chosen as their expertise is invaluable...and also connects with their change in role so much promoted by the DfE!!!

sad that many LAs did not offer support to cms when they were funded by the DfE to do so...now they are willing to do so but charge us for it?

I have not looked at this properly yet but it looks like the agency cover the whole of England and are not duplicated in the same area...has anyone had a look!

loocyloo
28-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Yes Sammy...I have been saying this all along...we need to compete with agency cms and seek support to equal theirs...not just info sharing and peer support but much more
As said there are plenty of EY independent trainers and consultants willing to help...remember I mentioned NEYTCO?

The message is that agency cms will be 'well supported' to reassure parents of their quality...no mention of any cost to receive this support though!!!!

Loocyloo.....Pacey would have been against Hampshire trialling so you may find they are not connected anymore and the LA has gone ahead with the trials
I had always envisaged LAs would be the most successful in being chosen as their expertise is invaluable...and also connects with their change in role so much promoted by the DfE!!!

sad that many LAs did not offer support to cms when they were funded by the DfE to do so...now they are willing to do so but charge us for it?

I have not looked at this properly yet but it looks like the agency cover the whole of England and are not duplicated in the same area...has anyone had a look!

I can't se any that cover the same area, but there are none in my area ( north Yorkshire ) I was talking to someone recently who said she can't see any agency wanting to take on the rural areas with few childminders as just not profitable enough for them.

Chatterbox Childcare
28-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Great- trio is in my area- I am part of there network - and got all of my training and support through them. Advice needed- shall I request to have my network connection with them cancelled? Really not happy and worried now :(

I went to a Trio meeting and they are trialling elements of agencies (this is not the full agency model) and I am part of that. I haven't been asked to be an agency, be part of an agency or part with my independence or money.

I would say wait and decide if they do set up as an agency or if you are concerned call them and discuss it as no one on the forum can give you the answers.

Simona
28-09-2013, 10:18 AM
I went to a Trio meeting and they are trialling elements of agencies (this is not the full agency model) and I am part of that. I haven't been asked to be an agency, be part of an agency or part with my independence or money.

I would say wait and decide if they do set up as an agency or if you are concerned call them and discuss it as no one on the forum can give you the answers.

You are right Chatterbox...we don't have the answers ...they will come from the feedback
What we are saying to cms is ask questions first then volunteer for the trials if you are sure
You must have been reassured by what they told you for you to volunteer?

AgentTink
28-09-2013, 12:25 PM

Chatterbox could you tell us which parts they are trialling?

Heaven Scent
28-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Just had a wee look but can't say that I can see which one would cover my area - will have a proper look later - I have an appointment then back for a parent interview and some paperwork.

Mouse
28-09-2013, 12:46 PM

I wouldn't do anything at the moment as we're all still pretty much in the dark....nothing new there then :panic:

Wait until more information comes out and make an informed decision once you know all the facts.

Wheelybug
28-09-2013, 02:00 PM

I'm from Hampshire and at the moment Pacey are still very much involved in childminder support. As I understand it Hampshire County Council subcontracts to Pacey. If anything over the last couple of years their has been alot of emphasis on peer support within the network. I was questioning this earlier to some local childminders - surely if Pacey are against agencies, then our current network coordinators should not be any way involved in setting up the agencies. It doesn't come as a surprise to me that Hampshire are involved in trials, just because of the focus within the network over the last couple of years. I am concerned though what support will be left for childminders who stay independent. All our training currently comes via Pacey/Hants, they also have the Family Information Directory where childminders include their details for prospective parents.

TooEarlyForGin?
28-09-2013, 04:07 PM
I am afraid I must be stupid. I just don't understand it at all. How can they arrange sickness and holiday cover? I am on my own in rural Suffolk, the only other 2 childminders within about a 6/7 mile radius are full as well... How can they promise this? Apart from when I became accredited 2 years ago, I didn't have contact from anyone, no meetings, only meeting other odd childminders at playgroups, but generally have always worked alone, sorted out my own training (which isn't rocket science) and still managed 2 outstandings. Why would I trust someone to run my business, when it is much more than a business, as it's also my home. How much right would they have to tell us what to do. Surely having a "middle man" will be a pain when organising holidays, days off or just needing to juggle odd hours, I have 9 families on my books and find it easy to speak to them all individually, before confirming dates to be as accommodating as possible, and because I work with them, they work with me if I need to finish an extra hour earlier to go to an appointment, can you imagine the fuss of having to let the agency know then waiting for them to ok it with parents and get back to you, then what if the agency said, "no, you can't have that time off". What if they "match" you with a family telling them you have space (and under their contract, be possibly obligated to take them) and really don't get on? I really don't understand how we can become employed, I must admit the thought of paid holidays, sickness and training and a possible pension is appealing, but who pays for this?????? There is nowhere within this whole stupid system that is going to make it cheaper at all.

So still don't understand.........

Simona
28-09-2013, 05:27 PM
I am afraid I must be stupid. I just don't understand it at all. How can they arrange sickness and holiday cover? I am on my own in rural Suffolk, the only other 2 childminders within about a 6/7 mile radius are full as well... How can they promise this? Apart from when I became accredited 2 years ago, I didn't have contact from anyone, no meetings, only meeting other odd childminders at playgroups, but generally have always worked alone, sorted out my own training (which isn't rocket science) and still managed 2 outstandings. Why would I trust someone to run my business, when it is much more than a business, as it's also my home. How much right would they have to tell us what to do. Surely having a "middle man" will be a pain when organising holidays, days off or just needing to juggle odd hours, I have 9 families on my books and find it easy to speak to them all individually, before confirming dates to be as accommodating as possible, and because I work with them, they work with me if I need to finish an extra hour earlier to go to an appointment, can you imagine the fuss of having to let the agency know then waiting for them to ok it with parents and get back to you, then what if the agency said, "no, you can't have that time off". What if they "match" you with a family telling them you have space (and under their contract, be possibly obligated to take them) and really don't get on? I really don't understand how we can become employed, I must admit the thought of paid holidays, sickness and training and a possible pension is appealing, but who pays for this?????? There is nowhere within this whole stupid system that is going to make it cheaper at all.

So still don't understand.........

Take a deep breath and relax....I can feel from here you are very worried...we all are, so we must stay positive.
many of your questions cannot be answered right now...

originally the pilots were supposed to be just to trial 'some aspects of an agency' now they want volunteers...so a slight change maybe?
I can't think where that announcement was...I will look in my archive and get back....I think it was in the DfE declaration of agencies...or such like?

What we must do is ensure that we can operate as always without the very middleman you speak of....many parents may not like the idea of handing their children to someone else at all!
Agencies are not compulsory but the employment status is up to them and the cms to agree on.

maybe cms need to look at reinforcing their links with other local cms, get seriously into peer support, find out exactly what their LA offers and if not on offer look elsewhere for training and 'face to face' support....the main aim is being Quality Assured, so the SEF will be vital but then...Ofsted will take on that role won't they? that needs clarification.

BUT we still need many things in place ...if we belong to an association surely they will help us with training even if we have to pay

That is why I joined NEYTCO...they are all accredited trainers and consultants
I am sure they will come with support for independent cms

Our next meeting is 24 October so I am going and suggest a few things but I know they are already thinking of independent cms!

The group I started on LinkedIn will have many of those consultants offering good advice and support because it is open to them as well as independent cms...many are saying already the group is a good idea

We must always continue info sharing and peer support here but look at linking with professionals too.

I have printed those FAQs and we must go from there

lets not be beaten by the announcement...on we soldier!! and it is definitely time for gin or wine!

TooEarlyForGin?
28-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Take a deep breath and relax....I can feel from here you are very worried...we all are, so we must stay positive. many of your questions cannot be answered right now... originally the pilots were supposed to be just to trial 'some aspects of an agency' now they want volunteers...so a slight change maybe? I can't think where that announcement was...I will look in my archive and get back....I think it was in the DfE declaration of agencies...or such like? What we must do is ensure that we can operate as always without the very middleman you speak of....many parents may not like the idea of handing their children to someone else at all! Agencies are not compulsory but the employment status is up to them and the cms to agree on. maybe cms need to look at reinforcing their links with other local cms, get seriously into peer support, find out exactly what their LA offers and if not on offer look elsewhere for training and 'face to face' support....the main aim is being Quality Assured, so the SEF will be vital but then...Ofsted will take on that role won't they? that needs clarification. BUT we still need many things in place ...if we belong to an association surely they will help us with training even if we have to pay That is why I joined NEYTCO...they are all accredited trainers and consultants I am sure they will come with support for independent cms Our next meeting is 24 October so I am going and suggest a few things but I know they are already thinking of independent cms! The group I started on LinkedIn will have many of those consultants offering good advice and support because it is open to them as well as independent cms...many are saying already the group is a good idea We must always continue info sharing and peer support here but look at linking with professionals too. I have printed those FAQs and we must go from there lets not be beaten by the announcement...on we soldier!! and it is definitely time for gin or wine!

Not so worried Simona, more totally bemused, and mainly feeling increasingly annoyed and frustrated how governments mess around with children's lives and care, just to score points.

I am an uneducated person who has moved from job to job throughout my working life, never settling into anything for more than 4 years. I have now done this for 12 years and found something I am finally good at. I received a bottle of bubbly on Friday from a grateful parent as she has had a new baby and as well as supporting her with her DD who comes to me, her new 10 week old baby has been a real strain crying or sleeping fitfully, nothing in between, she has had no help from the "professionals" who have brushed it off saying he will settle in time, I suggested trying a crainial osteopath, who is working wonders, he looks he is also allergic to formula. She has also been told that the 2 year check I did will have to do as they aren't going to do them anymore, they will let the parents "do it themselves". She honestly feels so let down by the system that should be there to support her, and is so disgusted at the constant attacks on us when she now understands how valuable we are, as we offer the "full package".

I am getting tired of it all, love my job, but am really sick and tired of each government that comes along.

I must say thank you Simona for all you do, you are a real inspiration.

Simona
28-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Apart from @Home Childcare and Trio can we start finding website links to all the other 18 companies?

Please find out and post here...it would be a great help!

Thank you

Simona
28-09-2013, 09:37 PM
back again
here are some websites and links

@Home Childcare
Quality Development Programmes (http://www.athomechildcare.co.uk/support-for-childminders/childminder-quality-development-programmes#)!

Trio
Childminders (http://www.triochildcare.co.uk/childminders.aspx#)!

Riverside Childcare
Client Services | Riverside Childcare (http://www.riversidechildcare.com/wordpress/?page_id=41#)!

3 found ...17 to go...

WibbleWobble
28-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Just had a wee look but can't say that I can see which one would cover my area - will have a proper look later - I have an appointment then back for a parent interview and some paperwork.

I can't see any which cover us.... Wonder if Sarah707 has found any

Wibble xx

Simona
28-09-2013, 10:00 PM

Wibble xx

Easy way to do it is to google them...3 listed above

Another one
Noel Quinn Ltd ...they seem to operate in Devon and Warwickshire...they seem a purely commercial company
Devon Childminding Support Consultancy | Noel Quinn | Training Consultancy Management Support (http://noelquinn.co.uk/clients/childminding-support-consultancy/)

shortstuff
29-09-2013, 05:13 AM

Just wanted to say that PACEY are still the LA in Hampshire :-)

Simona
29-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Just wanted to say that PACEY are still the LA in Hampshire :-)

Thanks for that...so very confusing as pacey are against agencies...so where do they stand now ?
Do you mean pacey works with Hampshire? ...in other words the LA buys pacey's services and training which many LAs did in the past?
My LA recently broke away from pacey and its CCF network then they dropped the bombshell...they were going to apply to pilot agencies and wanted their own network model!!
Unfortunately for them and fortunately for us they have not been chosen to pilot the agency and still keep the network on hold because that is where their main interests are

I am really worried as to why so much secrecy continues and why we need to worry cms even more at this time...now the news is out we should have 'facts' and action from those we pay to represent us...would you agree?

pacey was recently asking cms to tell them if their LA had announced they wanted to pilot agencies...now they know what will pacey do?

they were also asking cms to report LAs still putting conditions on cms for the funding...now they know what will they do?

shortstuff
29-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Thanks for that...so very confusing as pacey are against agencies...so where do they stand now ?
Do you mean pacey works with Hampshire? ...in other words the LA buys pacey's services and training which many LAs did in the past?
My LA recently broke away from pacey and its CCF network then they dropped the bombshell...they were going to apply to pilot agencies and wanted their own network model!!
Unfortunately for them and fortunately for us they have not been chosen to pilot the agency and still keep the network on hold because that is where their main interests are

I am really worried as to why so much secrecy continues and why we need to worry cms even more at this time...now the news is out we should have 'facts' and action from those we pay to represent us...would you agree?

pacey was recently asking cms to tell them if their LA had announced they wanted to pilot agencies...now they know what will pacey do?

they were also asking cms to report LAs still putting conditions on cms for the funding...now they know what will they do?

I will be speaking to the pacey lady in the week so I will ask the question and feedback.

The level 3 course I am attending is being taught by pacey and funding was brought up yesterday. Hamphire/ pacey are following guidelines. Apparently the trainer only heard by email this week so maybe not all of the decisions have been made yet?

sarah707
29-09-2013, 08:08 AM

Wibble xx

I asked at the last 2 year olds meeting I attended and was told that there are no agencies in Cheshire east x

Simona
29-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Apart from the LAs I have googled all the other interested parties...for some there is no area identified but others have business all over the country

Look at Buttercups Nursery...they are all over London and one very close to me...so what I am asking the agency may not be on your doorstep but their business may cover many areas

Noel Quinn Ltd seems to be everywhere

Riverside Childcare is in London and big business supplying childcarers

Trio cover 4 huge areas

Entrust Ed has no area I can find...big business

2 are Academies

Not one of those I googled has clearly said they are agencies...