PDA

View Full Version : Is this true?

kellyskidz!
27-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Hi all, I'm from S Yorkshire and a LOT of rumours have been flying round here lately about all CMs must be at least Level 5 qualified by 2015 with exemption. Others have said its got to be Level 3 or working towards. Does anyone know if either of these are true? Thanks xx

Chatterbox Childcare
27-09-2013, 12:43 PM
It is level 3 but by 2015 it will be 2020

sarah707
27-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Nothing in the current rules says level 3 - never mind level 5!! It might change - we know there are changes coming - but we don't have any facts yet :D

kellyskidz!
27-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Thank you, it's so confusing and frankly a lot of CMs who ARE Level 5 are unfortunately stating this as fact and I know at least one woman who has abandoned her plans to Childmind because someone has told her 'not to bother unless you have 2000 pounds to do your degree'

hectors house
27-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Yes, it's level 3 - think it was originally in the "More Great childcare" farce that was announced in January. Not even sure what level 5 would be - maybe that is the Early Years Professional qualification?

Simona
27-09-2013, 01:16 PM
maybe this is what that person was referring to?
First Level 5 for childminders unveiled | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1212942/first-level-5-childminders-unveiled?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

It is by no means compulsory...any more real info can be found on Prof Nutbrown report and the DfE response to her recommendations on qualifications...including cms!

We need to be careful about the 'rumours' that are started by some people....it would be useful if they said they had heard something but not sure.... rather than induce panic about all sorts of things

As independent cms we must be very effective in separating the rumour from reality.
I hear many cms worried that some rumours are really not helping them at all

snortlet
27-09-2013, 01:26 PM
I think its to do with an artical which came out in Ireland yest about their Government wanting to regulate early years there. It mentioned nursery staff should have a level 5 qualification. this is equal to our level 3 we have here. I think the artical was in Nursery World and bbc news but related to Ireland only!

kellyskidz!
27-09-2013, 01:29 PM
maybe this is what that person was referring to?
First Level 5 for childminders unveiled | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1212942/first-level-5-childminders-unveiled?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

It is by no means compulsory...any more real info can be found on Prof Nutbrown report and the DfE response to her recommendations on qualifications...including cms!

We need to be careful about the 'rumours' that are started by some people....it would be useful if they said they had heard something but not sure.... rather than induce panic about all sorts of things

As independent cms we must be very effective in separating the rumour from reality.
I hear many cms worried that some rumours are really not helping them at all

I thought it was a little extreme! And yep, rumours are spread far too quickly and taken as gospel. I always say I've heard.. If I don't know it as fact, but try to avoid general gossiping anyway. A relief to know its not compulsory though, going to print out snippets from document and stick them in local centre where most of the gossip takes place. Or on the foreheads of the rumour mongering minders lol :blush: x

snortlet
27-09-2013, 01:30 PM
If the link works this is the Irish Nursery World piece

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1213698/ireland-step-closer-regulating-childcare-services?DCMP=EMC-CONNurseryWorldUpdate&bulletin=nursery-world-update-bulletin

AdeleMarie88
27-09-2013, 01:45 PM
I have my degree which I think is level6 but I quickly learnt having a degree makes you no better at your job. The people on my course were exceptionally bright, but found it very hard to interact with children. I really truly believe experience is a million times better than qualifications. (Not saying that they should be done away with though, obviously training is important too) x

Simona
27-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Yes, it's level 3 - think it was originally in the "More Great childcare" farce that was announced in January. Not even sure what level 5 would be - maybe that is the Early Years Professional qualification?

The 'S' in EYP stands for Status...it is not a qualification but equal to QTS or such like...although the govt won't recognise EYPS as teachers...hence their petition and worry about equal pay

The acronym is also used to refer to EY providers as professionals which is confusing...those with EYP status should, in my view, be referred as EY Teachers so distinguishing between the two but then along came E Truss to change it all!

blue bear
27-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Last thing I read was that childminders did not have to have an nvq or any other level and it was not on the cards to bring it in (there have always been rumours of it since I can remember)
Nurseries however are expected to have certain percentages of qualifications accross the staff and the latest recommendation was that they must employ a degree level member of staff to get good or outstanding (this is a proposal as yet)

Mouse
27-09-2013, 03:45 PM
For as long as i can remember they've been going to make a level 3 a requirement for childminders. The date has just been put back & back and nothing has ever come of it.

kellyskidz!
27-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks for clearing it up for me! Was panicked myself think ing I'd have to apply for a degree:blush: