PDA

View Full Version : Having a problem with rooms the children can access

Miss freckles
27-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Downstairs I have a living room and a kitchen/diner, they are quite big rooms, my dining room is what's being used as my main childminding room, although it does have a dining table in there I have the storage units, art and craft area, role play area.

The lounge also has a few toys out in there, and a cosy area. My lounge has no door to it and is very open planned but what I'm finding is I'll have all 3 Children in the dining room and one will go and wander and play in the living room so then I have to get the other two in the living room then one will disappear again.

What would Ofsted be expecting me to do? Do I close us all in in the dining room, then if we go to the living room we all have to go

I have an inspection coming soon and I really don't want to get these things wrong, so sorry in advance for any future posts that may seem a bit silly, I'm so anxious :blush:

AliceK
27-09-2013, 12:05 PM
I think as long as you have RA all the space it would be fine to let them have that freedom. It is obviously child dependant so RA the child as well. My children have access in and out of rooms (except my lounge and kitchen) and as long as I can at least hear them I don't worry too much. If I have a child who is going through a particular phase eg climbing up on things, hitting etc then I will keep them within my sight at all times but as long as they can be trusted then I'm happy for them to wander. I know they can't come to any harm.

xxx

cathtee
27-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Is there any way that you can gate the living room or perhaps get a room devider to stop them drifting into there.

hectors house
27-09-2013, 12:36 PM
The rules used to be that you had to be able to see and hear children at all times but now it is see "or" hear the children at all times - when I am in kitchen, I can see children in dining room but can only hear them in the lounge - obviously you would have to risk assessment according to the development stage of your mindees. Mine are only allowed pens up at the dining room table so I know that if I can't actually see them that they aren't drawing on the walls, but I wouldn't leave them for many minutes without checking to make sure they aren't climbing on the furniture or ripping pages out of books. Could you look into getting one of those extending stair gates? - might have been a play pen that you can unfold and put across a large opening - my friend had one in her kitchen/diner to stop dogs escaping from kitchen side. (sorry can't find it in Argos book anymore)! may be something like this BabyDan Playpen - stair gates & safety gates - Mothercare (http://www.mothercare.com/BabyDan-Playpen/562571,default,pd.html) that you can unfold and use as room divider.

sarah707
27-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Dp cut my door in half so children can't wander off. We all go into other rooms together - it helps me to keep to the 'children within sight or hearing' rule in the EYFS :D

kellyskidz!
27-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Dp cut my door in half so children can't wander off. We all go into other rooms together - it helps me to keep to the 'children within sight or hearing' rule in the EYFS :D

I do this to, take all children into all rooms with me, and outside. My oh thinks I'm crazy but when were going outside its one out, all out!x

blue bear
27-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Depends on their ages tinies I like to be able to see, bigger ones I'm happy to be able to hear and they have free rein to move from room to room, inside and out. To be honest we tend to play as a group, I can't go very far without my gang following me. :D