PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know?

bindy
27-09-2013, 06:56 AM
My assistant is becoming a child minder. She is registering at my address, because her husband works from home and does not want children/mess etc in the house. She knows I only want an assistant and is happy to carry on has that. I pay her very well! I don't really want to leave the kids more than 2 hours and only leave them to do school pick up which takes only 15 minutes, so for me an assistant is fine. Now the question is...... What happens when Ofsted come to grade her? She will have no paper work, policies, contracts, LJ etc Even though I have loads of paper work, I would rather do it all myself. I don't really want to give her LJ to complete either! I am guessing because she is not on the contract she would not be allowed to do any anyway! Anyone know what would happen in this situation? Thank You for advice!

loocyloo
27-09-2013, 07:12 AM
sorry! no idea.

I would assume that she needs policies etc. IF she is working with you as a co-minder, then I assume you should be sharing policies etc and she should be doing some of the paperwork. ( I know how you feel, I wouldn't be able to hand mine over for anyone else to do! ) plus, would some of the children 'belong' to her. but if she is just your assistant, then she wouldn't.

why is she registering if happy to be your assistant?

Mouse
27-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Why is she becoming a childminder if she's not going to take on that roll? Is it really worth the expense and time?

sarah707
27-09-2013, 07:29 AM
My partner and I work together - he is part time and I am full time. We work to our strengths - I do paperwork and he does play when he is here and menu planning / cooking etc.

An agreement like that might work for you :D

bindy
27-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Why is she becoming a childminder if she's not going to take on that roll? Is it really worth the expense and time?

I told her the same. I really only need a assistant, she did her training and wants to register. I told her I don't want to co-mind with anyone. I have built up my business and want to be in charge, not that I am bossy with any assistant. I will have a talk with her and say it may not be possible. She is a good assistant and I do pay very good wages so she will not be gaining anything if she stays working for me. Thanks everyone for the advice.

k1rstie
27-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Bindy, your assistant has decided to become a childminder, and has decided she wants to do it at your home?

If you are not happy for this, you must tell her! You cannot let someone set up a business in your HOME if you do not want them to.

Hope I have not misunderstood your original post.

Chatterbox Childcare
27-09-2013, 01:01 PM
If she is a childminder then she gets all the responsbility you do. If she is still your assistant then she won't have a visit.

Why register?

Koala
27-09-2013, 01:09 PM
It does sound a bit strange - why bother if she isn't going to child mind.

I would be a bit suspicious and want to safeguard myself, would anything she does when qualified as a childminder affect you because she is registered at your property? Tread carefully, I would tell her to register elsewhere because you are worried about two business been registered at your address and any adverse affect it could have on you or any further responsibility that you would have - insurance, business/council rates and council regulations etc... etc...

CLL
27-09-2013, 01:10 PM
I would be very worried if someone TOLD me they were setting up a business from my home. As she has done the course she must understand the implications this has on you. I would seriously be wondering what she was doing and why!! Take control and tell her under no circumstances is she to register as a cm at your address.

kellyskidz!
27-09-2013, 01:19 PM
She can only do this if you let her, and are comfortable with it.
She can't be registered from your home without your say so
Why not suggest she registers off her own back and puts your address as her place of work (if you want her to) then itwould be like business partners
I find it odd though that she's in a good paid job and will be doing basically the same thing as she is now, why bother registering herself?
Does she want to have her own clients but have them at your home? And she takes payment from them and sorts contracts and the rest of it?
Unless she's planning to go it alone and just isn't telling you?
Have a chat with her and ask her, and tell her what you think of it all xx

kellyskidz!
27-09-2013, 01:22 PM
As for her husband not wanting mess in his house..:eek:
You chose to be a childminder and your family has to accept the things that come with it
If SHE chooses to be a childminder her husband will have to do the same or its not the career for her, surely!
What does he want her to do, be a childminder or not? Because it sounds as if they want her to be one but from someone else's home. Let them have all the mess and I'll call myself a registered childminder. May be wrong, but that's what it sounds like x

bindy
27-09-2013, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=k1rstie;1304529]Bindy, your assistant has decided to become a childminder, and has decided she wants to do it at your home?

If you are not happy for this, you must tell her! You cannot let someone set up a business in your HOME if you do not want them to.

Hope I have not misunderstood your original post.

No you have not misunderstood. She wants to register has a child minder and wanted to do it at my home, I told her fine if she could do that but I only wanted an assistant and not co-mind with anyone. Then I got thinking about it, how could she do that with out doing paper work LJ having contracts etc .. Seems she can't so will be telling her its impossible! Thanks for advice

k1rstie
27-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Thinking about it a bit more .... My husband does not want the mess of children in the house either, but tough!

Can I tactfully ask? Would everyone registered in her household pass a crb check? If not, her being registered at your yours would be ideal.

I did once hear of a minder (in another county) who's partner did not live at the address as they would not pass the crb, but in fact they did live there.

k1rstie
27-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Sorry bindy, I crossed posted with you.

bindy
27-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Thinking about it a bit more .... My husband does not want the mess of children in the house either, but tough!

Can I tactfully ask? Would everyone registered in her household pass a crb check? If not, her being registered at your yours would be ideal.

I did once hear of a minder (in another county) who's partner did not live at the address as they would not pass the crb, but in fact they did live there.

Goodness me. Some people try it all! My friend has a very spoiled dog, not very friendly with the kids, she had the dog out of the house when Ofsted came around. Told them she had no pets! Crazy, what happens if the dog bites a child?
I know my assistants husband breeds dogs from the home and lots live inside the house, I mean up to 15 at a time, so really not suitable for the children. Anyway she will not be registering at mine, don't want a business partner! lol Makes me laugh a little, what a mess a puppy can make, can you imagine 15!! Least a baby wears a nappy!

loocyloo
27-09-2013, 04:58 PM

I know a minder who says her partner doesn't live at the house but does. :( maybe not every night, but 5/7 !