PDA

View Full Version : Oh heck!

KatieFS
26-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Those of you who are regular users know I've had my work cut out lately
Took on twin babies contract, took on assistant to cover one day where had 4 ey children. Only for her not to turn up twice... Had to give notice to one child who attended on that one overflow day as felt was least disruptive for them.
Twin babies hard work -now in week 5 and finally settled in. Felt so proud if myself this week as finally getting there..! Babies sleeping and feeding well making progress! Yey

But

Dad says today having enrolled at Uni they have changed his schedule to different days from tues and thurs to tues and fri. I can't cover the hours on Friday! Waiting for dad to meet again with Uni but starting to think oh dear I bet they are going to need to find someone else now. I cancelled one child and turned away other business to take this contract on. So frustrating!
Childminding is so difficult! This business is so inconsistent. Financially so up And down. Worried about finding new business as nursery open up road. Worry worry worry

Honestly making me think maybe I should do something else
Any words of support appreciated!

blue bear
26-09-2013, 08:16 PM
That is the problem with childminding, it is never really stable. Hope things work out x

sarah707
26-09-2013, 08:43 PM
I hate uncertainty it's so hard hopefully it will sort itself out quickly for you xx

sprinkles
26-09-2013, 09:17 PM
It is very uncertain! I've had no enquiries for months and months and now that I've decided to give up (not because of lack of enquiries) I've now had an enquiry for a little boy on the days I've already got one little one. If I'd had them both from the start I may not be giving up as feel my reasons are possibly contributed to by the lack of little ones.

Just typical though! I'm not taking this other child on, even though I don't know how long it will be before I actually give up as other jobs are few and far between here, because it would be certain l that I would take them on and then find another job! But because I'm not, it will be months lol.

Hope dad manages to sort it, especially since you've done so well with them!!

KatieFS
26-09-2013, 09:37 PM
I hope they get it sorted. My oh could hear the convo and getting frustrated as I've abreast compromised on start and finish time to accommodate them. And now this. Thing is last year I lost contract in oct and didn't find another child until jan so we had a frugal and worrying time leading up to Christmas. As I said also nursery down road now and I think that to fill spaces will be tough.
I should know by tomorrow..

KatieFS
26-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Err abreast should be already

Ha ha

serin
26-09-2013, 11:11 PM
It is a very unreliable job. I have had so much interest for this September which I have had to turn away. Now that I have started this month with the 12 month old thats held the position from everyone else, he is a serious moaner. Today he moaned all day because he was overtired but didnt sleep much :s Mum said he moans for her at home as well. Is this normal? Im stuck because I feel that I cant send them packing because of all the other business I would have lost out on.

littlebears1009
27-09-2013, 06:23 AM
It is a very unreliable job. I have had so much interest for this September which I have had to turn away. Now that I have started this month with the 12 month old thats held the position from everyone else, he is a serious moaner. Today he moaned all day because he was overtired but didnt sleep much :s Mum said he moans for her at home as well. Is this normal? Im stuck because I feel that I cant send them packing because of all the other business I would have lost out on.

I have this too. He started off a screamer, sort of got him in a routine because he was overtired. Now he has some really good days and odd day he will have a short sleep and be grouchy all day. But hes my only mindee at the moment so I have to persevere. Plus I am chuffed with what I have achieved from when he started to how he is now. X

hectors house
27-09-2013, 06:49 AM
I don't suppose it's the dads fault, it's the university's for giving out days for attendance/lecturers and then changing them but that still doesn't help you (or the dad).

Do you know another childminder in your area who just has a space on the Friday and then you could still do the Tuesday? - I know of several minders who share children because the parents needed to increase days and the childminders couldn't accommodate them. (I know they could have done variations but just didn't have room in car to do school runs for own children). You could sell it to the dad that by using 2 minders he has holiday or illness cover (if you did a variation for it). Hope you don't lose this family, but if you do I hope some more work comes soon. :)

Simona
27-09-2013, 06:55 AM
If the days are changed by the Uni can you not consider doing a variation?...for twins you should be able to do so and it is not new business

Good luck

KatieFS
27-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Dad has organised to finish early in Friday so I can cover hours, but will mean I'm working 4 days.
Working 3 days has really worked well as finishing my level 3 diploma and getting through it so much better sitting down 3-4 hours x2 a week rather than evenings 1-2 hours x4 times a week.
But will make 2 days but easier for me and one less early/late shift with babies so swings and roundabouts. At least still got contract so sort if relieved.