PDA

View Full Version : Long stairgate???

adedwards68
26-09-2013, 12:33 PM
I want to use my decking whilst the weather is still fine but need to block off a 3 metre opening any ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

moggy
26-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Depends why you need to block it and the age of the children. Is the thing you are blocking a real danger? (long drop, pond ?). Or is it just to keep children off muddy grass etc?

For older children you could put up a chain/rope and teach them not to go through (unless it is a real danger through there, and depending on the children!)
For little ones you could use expanding trellis, that diamond-shape stuff you put on a wall for plants to go up, but would probably need some kind of supports in the middle to hold it up. But if it is a real danger on the otherside you might need something stronger.
There are these BabyDan room dividers but they are for indoor use and would rust I am sure, and expensive, and need strong vertical walls/posts lon each end to attach to.

Maybe ask a practically minded person to take a look at it- so much depends on what exactly is there (vertical supports left and right, strength, whether you need it opening, lockable...??)

adedwards68
26-09-2013, 12:52 PM
It's really to stop the crawlers and new walkers from falling down the step. Plus our grass is quite muddy and boggy so didn't want lo's crawling in it. I don't want anything permanent as it's my home not a nursery. Might look at babydan as I don't mind taking it down each day

shortstuff
26-09-2013, 01:46 PM
have you thought of one of those playpens that open out? im not sure if they are that long but might be worth a look?

sing-low
26-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I have half a babydan playpen outside to block off our side passage (where we keep bikes, garden toys, paint, tools etc). The instructions said to paint it with rust resistant paint which I did and so far, so good. Been up 6 months.

PixiePetal
26-09-2013, 02:19 PM
I had to block of a gap near the house to section off the garden - or mindees can run round it out of sight as I am detached and the garden is big front and back. We fenced from the back of the house to the back hedge then there is a long barn along one side of garden leaving an odd shaped uneven gap between back door and shed. I got DH to put hooks on shed and house and I put baby dan opened out playpen I got from ebay in the gap. Not solid but its not a drop just a barrier for running mindees. Going a bit rusty but done 4 years so far - worth the £40 I paid

QualityCare
26-09-2013, 04:11 PM
If you just want it to stop crawlers get a section of garden trellis and hook it on each side.

adedwards68
26-09-2013, 04:47 PM
I have half a babydan playpen outside to block off our side passage (where we keep bikes, garden toys, paint, tools etc). The instructions said to paint it with rust resistant paint which I did and so far, so good. Been up 6 months.
Think if I can get a 2nd hand one I'll try that
Thanks