PDA

View Full Version : really need help

pinklady756
26-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Please can someone help...

Have a child with behaviour problems (still in settling in period) who is making life miserable for me, my assistant and the other children we care for.

I have numerous incident reports and today is the worst yet, really can't do this anymore :(

What would you do if a child hits and pushes all the time, hitting children in the face with toys, hit my cat with a book, kicked me and smaked my assistant in the face?

JCrakers
26-09-2013, 12:14 PM
How old is the child?
Its hard to say without seeing the child. Do you think he has excess energy, has he been diagnosed with a behavioural problem or is it down to parents not disciplining?

Firm and consistent rules which I'm sure you are doing already. Praising good behaviour and rewards, hugs while he's behaving. Distraction if you can get in there before he does it with maybe a football if he needs to take his anger out.

I wouldn't put up with being kicked by a child who knows better. A child with Autism or similar then that's a different thing, but if its down to no discipline at home, if you put firm rules in place then it shouldn't take long to sort out :D

AgentTink
26-09-2013, 12:19 PM
I assume you have kept parents informed with updates to his behaviour while he has been with you.

My first port of call would be speaking to the parents to find out how they deal with the child's difficult behaviours. If you then feel that you could work with the parents to support the child i would be extending the settling in period for 3 months, which has to include regular updates with the parents, and a agrred action plan of how to support the child when at your setting and when at home so it is a consistent message.

However if you feel you can not work with this family, then if you are in your settling in period them you do have a right to hand in notice, in some aspects that is what the settling in period is for to make sure that both parties are happy and comfortable with the arrangement.

Were you aware of the behaviour problems before child came? How old is the child? What seems to make his behaviour flare up?

Daisy1956
26-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Nothing to add to the excellent advice already given, just stay strong and consistant.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I have a 2 year old doing this and I did an ABC chart and discovered it was when he wanted something or someone was taking something from him. Now I know, I stand back and watch and intervene when needed.

sarah707
26-09-2013, 01:23 PM
We all want to help the child - and it is absolutely right that we want to do that - but if it is impacting negatively on you, your family, the other children etc then there comes a time when you have to explain to parents that the child would be better off elsewhere.

I can recommend the ABC behaviour management method Chatterbox Childcare is talking about - it does work for some children - but it is not an immediate fix and everyone needs to be doing it together - you, parents and anywhere else the child goes.

Hugs xx

Tazmin68
26-09-2013, 01:52 PM
I had a child come to me. I was told by the grandparent that child lived with that he had not settled at svhool and was only attending mornings. When actually I was told by teacher when I first picked him up quote tell nan had a physical morning. After 3 weeks of being kicked, hit and sworn at I ended contract when my own 3 year old son repeated a swear word at me. After ending the contract I finally found out that he had been to smother minder where hi broke a baby's arm by slamming it down onto the tray on the high chair. I was really stressed out and felt guilty in letting the family down but I had to think of everyone else.

Deb

smurfette
26-09-2013, 02:02 PM
I had a child come to me. I was told by the grandparent that child lived with that he had not settled at svhool and was only attending mornings. When actually I was told by teacher when I first picked him up quote tell nan had a physical morning. After 3 weeks of being kicked, hit and sworn at I ended contract when my own 3 year old son repeated a swear word at me. After ending the contract I finally found out that he had been to smother minder where hi broke a baby's arm by slamming it down onto the tray on the high chair. I was really stressed out and felt guilty in letting the family down but I had to think of everyone else.

Deb

Oh my gosh that is shocking!!!