PDA

View Full Version : Am feeling a bit deflated ...

tetti
26-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I am not sure if any of you are experiencing the same thing as me,but I am finding it increasingly harder to compete with local nurseries (new ones are opening up left right and centre) and the after school clubs.

I have been a childminder for about 7 years,and it's never been this difficult to fill a vacancy.
The local nurseries are offering yoga,manadrin classes (yes,really),they have ipads for the toddlers,robots that teach them numbers (no,am not kidding,I viewed their websites) and even have an automatic buggy buss !
So many parents are blinded by their facilities,and don't look at the fact that there are so many children to one member of staff for eg.
And the after school clubs has virtually stopped all the enquiries from parents who would otherwise require pick ups.

I was going to meet a family tomorrow who were very keen on me picking up their daughter from school.Then this I checked my email this morning,and they had cancelled as they discovered that their daughter's school now offered an afterschool club for reception children also.

I really love what I do,but I have tried literally everything to fill the vacancy.You name it,and I have done it ! I just don't know what else I can do,and it's starting to get to me to be honest.Am just praying for a small miracle,as otherwise I cannot make a living from child minding anymore.

shortstuff
26-09-2013, 11:21 AM
I am so sorry to hear you are having a quiet time at the moment.

Is it possible for you to stick around? Maybe the parents wont take long to realise that all the equipment in the world cant outweigh a human who can interact x

KatieFS
26-09-2013, 11:44 AM
I do find you get enquiries to start jan and sept, things go quiet oct-dec. I had a few enquiries over summer but as you say there is new nursery open so think lots if kids going there. I have just taken twin babes and one mum of another family pregnant so with any luck I'm ok for a few years but I worry about after they go or if something changes.
I'm sure you've done everything to advertise, have you tried libraries gp children's centre. Are you registered for funded children?
Good luck

sarah707
26-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Are you meeting up with other childminders locally? Do they have vacancies? Can you share information and suggest each other?

Hugs xx

Tazmin68
26-09-2013, 01:46 PM
I find I use up space spaces through having funded children. These are referred through network coordinators who I see at childminding groups. I currently have two funded children both 2 year olds and because of their needs a nursery environment would not suit these children

Deb

tetti
26-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Thanks everyone :) I am not registered for funded children. As things stand ,as a childminder in my area,we receive zero information from the council as there is only one person who deals with childminders now-everyone else has been made redundant.And the person who deals with us gives us no info whatsoever and she's impossible to get hold of.We have virtually no support at all.
I have tried to create a network with the local childminders,but they are fiercely competitive (as there are so few parents using our services) that they are not very friendly at all.I so envy childminders who are part of a good network,but where I live the other childminders literally take down eachother's adverts !
No,I am not kidding. I caught one doing just that at my daughter's school,but she said that she simply did not have a pen,and therefor she took the advert down- a blatant lie as she has no children of her own.
And when I sent out a group email to the local childminders ,I received One reply from around 32 minders.It's a bit disheartening.

Rolacolapink
26-09-2013, 08:36 PM
What about 'selling' yourself. Sounds daft but in adverts, website, facebook page etc explain why you are different to the nurseries and other local cm's. Parents need to see past the flash technology offered by the nurseries. Let anyone know what you're all about. I had very limited knowledge about cm's before I became one. I think if parents saw what we do more of them would consider us :)