PDA

View Full Version : How do you do your learning journal?

It's a small world
26-09-2013, 08:54 AM
How do you do your learning journal? Do you do it under eah of the EYFS areas or in order of observations such as date not area?

I usually do it under each area but on one of my mindees I decided to try it as a progression so done in date order and that way parents got to see child growing rather than look at observations for one area and see them grow then see them young again and grow for second observation . Does that make sense? Parents loved this way as saw mindee growing on each page rather than mix match of pic young, old, young old etc!

What does everyone do and will both ways be acceptable? I have pages explaining each area of the EYFS so parents can understand it .

Hope Ive made sense lol, xx

Mouse
26-09-2013, 09:23 AM
A LJ is one way of showing progression & development, so doing it in date order makes much more sense to me. I also think that observations cover more than one are of development, so can't really be categorised into one specific section.

It's a small world
26-09-2013, 09:27 AM
A LJ is one way of showing progression & development, so doing it in date order makes much more sense to me. I also think that observations cover more than one are of development, so can't really be categorised into one specific section.

Thanks i think so too so going to rearrange all jls by date order rather than areas . Its nicer i think as parents can see child growing and developing easier rather than back n forth for each section thanks again x

hectors house
26-09-2013, 09:44 AM
I have collated mine in several different ways since EYFS started in 2008 - I used to do it by area but now I do it in date order - oldest ones at the back and newest on the front, each time the journals go home I mark the new observations with a post it note and say "read forward from this point". I agree that on one observation you can highlight several areas of learning, so easier to do in date order.

samb
26-09-2013, 10:32 AM
I do mine in date not area partly as it how's their journey in a holistic way but also some obs have more than 1 area and it seems silly to rewrite it. :-)

silvermist
26-09-2013, 10:43 AM
I do mine in date order. I then write which areas the obs covered. X

Tinkerbell1979
26-09-2013, 12:51 PM
I have only been minding a year and did it in areas but have found that the 3 main areas are full to bursting and others not do much so I'm now gonna switch to date order. Only problem I have now is to decide whether to fill over areas in 1st LJ or just go straight to the 2nd LJ! (Full time 19m old since 7 months old) - opinions?

Daisy1956
26-09-2013, 01:08 PM
I do it in date order but oldest at the beginning like a book really, I feel it does tell the child's story.

hectors house
26-09-2013, 01:33 PM
I do it in date order but oldest at the beginning like a book really, I feel it does tell the child's story.

I do mine the other way round purely as I use like an assignment cover type folder that has the prongs that stick up for you to add stuff onto the top and then you tuck them under a little clip when you finish. I don't have room for 7 ring binder type folders and find the assignment cover ones work just as well.

Mrs Scrubbit
26-09-2013, 06:03 PM

Same here xx

Bluebell
26-09-2013, 06:23 PM
I do it in date order because its a progression but also because some observations cover more than one area.

sometimes its nice to note things that a child has done or said to relay to a parent that doesn't relate to anything in particular!

I have just started using an online tool and that does it in date order and you can link more than one area to it.

blue bear
26-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Date order here.

clareelizabeth1
26-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Date order as it is so rare for something to only cover one area.

loocyloo
26-09-2013, 08:34 PM
I use a scrapbook per child. .. start at the beginning and keep going in date order, adding art work or parents comments/photos as and when. I don't separate obs into areas as I can usually cover most areas with one ob. ;-)

Bumble Beez
01-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Date order...in a lever arch file...

I had started doing them so they start with first obs then carry on to more recent ones as you go thru, but am now thinking it would be nicer to do recent ones at the start...hmmm...

Sarah x

Simona
02-10-2013, 09:50 AM
I have only been minding a year and did it in areas but have found that the 3 main areas are full to bursting and others not do much so I'm now gonna switch to date order. Only problem I have now is to decide whether to fill over areas in 1st LJ or just go straight to the 2nd LJ! (Full time 19m old since 7 months old) - opinions?

up to the age of 3 years we need to concentrate on the Prime Areas then we can add the 4 Specific areas...however...the learning is linked to all areas from birth and they interconnect

I concentrate on the 3 areas then add any observations linked to the others but when I do the Summative assessment the 3 Prime areas is what is required to write down

I know we all do things differently and that is great ...just don't forget to look at the overaching learning and connections between all areas!