PDA

View Full Version : What to do with own child grumpy...

KatieFS
25-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Had such a good day today. Twin babies at last sleeping and getting into a bit if a routine.
Did loads of stuff with 2 yo mindee. Her progress check nearly done. All good!!!! Even had time for a sit down and ate my lunch in peace with hot cuppa!

Then school run time!

Picked up my dd fine at first. Picked up 2 schoolies -1 boy who is a drama queen whenever anything happens! Incident my dd pushed/pulled him resulting in a minor fall. Tears follow with schoolie, my dd runs away. She doesn't return for a bit being silly. Calm boy down. Spk to dd make her apologise. Tears from dd now.
Then series of incidents being silly grumpy grouchy. Get home demanding non childminder treats as snack which is a no no as snack already prepared. Continues to escalate send her to her room. First time today age said I want to be on my own. I felt bad thinking oh dear you don't want other children here. Suggested oracle and quiet if own room but she wasn't having that and kept coming down annoying everyone and basically being a monkey

Such a shame as had a great day.

What do you so when your own lo play up? I am sure it was tiredness and caused by me having to tell her off. She is 5...

dawn100
25-09-2013, 11:31 PM
It's hard and I'm sorry I haven't got any answers for you but it is the very reason I don't have any after school children now except 1 once a week as I found my own kids really struggled with it. They are fine with the under school age children and at first they enjoyed having after schoolers but it got too much all the time. I'm always turning away enquiries and sometimes get tempted by the extra money but for me it's not worth me being cross or stressed with my own kids as its for them the reason I became a childminder.
Sorry realise I haven't given you any useful suggestions but wanted to let you know you're not on your own.

merry
26-09-2013, 05:55 AM
This sounds very similar to my dd's behaviour when she first started school and I wasn't minding then, she only had her brother to take it out on. I think it's a mix of tiredness, being in school and rules and routine to follow all day and new stresses to cope with. I dealt with it by staying calm (on the surface!), being consistent, getting some food into her as quickly as possible(started taking small bags of fruit to munch on the way home) and as long as I could manage of my undivided attention. Other than that, really just accepting that it was going to be difficult for a while until things settled.

shortstuff
26-09-2013, 06:34 AM
I just asked DS6 what helps him to not be grumpy. He says it helps him by being my assistant and helping me. He doesnt like sharing me much and one of his first questions is have i hugged or kissed any one else while he has been at school, well obviously not x I always wait for him x

He also knows that he is earning money which he is saving towards his PS4 so this also helps.

Maybe give her little jobs to do to help her feel important to you? and let her know what the reward will be at the weekend?

KatieFS
26-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Thank you. I think I will focus on early years children as it tends to be other school age children age struggles with
Thanks for all the replies.
I will ask her what makes her grumpy and see where we get to with that..

scottishlass
26-09-2013, 10:01 PM
I only have one schoolie 2 days a week and my youngest who is 7 is a pain in the days she comes (mindee is a year younger) not taken on any more schoolies and only keeping this wee one as has her brother xx

charlottenash
27-09-2013, 07:14 AM
My DS is 4 almost 5. After a few months I happened to say something like 'oh we will have to do that Saturday because I'm working Wednesday' and he looked at me as if I'd turned pink!!!

I then realised that I never actually told him that what I do is work. So I sat him down, talked to him about work, working hours and how the weekends were just for him. We talked about what we do with the money mummy earns and how this makes a big difference to our lives.

Now he understands completely, and I also found making his bedroom a 'safe haven' with his own toys and books was a help, he can go up when he needs quiet time.

The giving jobs for pocket money is also a good idea!

Good luck :) xx

AliceK
27-09-2013, 10:03 AM
My DD has just turned 6, my DS is 9. DS isn't too bad he will shut himself away after school if he's not in the mood for the others although usually he is a little gem with them. DD the same, usually plays happily with whoever is here but knows she can also shut herself away if she wants to. However Tues, both mine were grumpy, being overly dramatic about everything. Last straw was whenever a parent came to collect they would then decide that was the time to hassle me for something, come and tell tales etc etc all whilst I was trying to talk to parents. I sent them both up to their rooms, I think parents could see I had had enough. When OH came home I told him how cross I was with them (they have both been told before, when I am talking to a parent you do not interrupt unless you have an arm hanging off). OH who is usually the calm one, told them both off in no uncertain terms and has told them when the doorbell goes at pick-up time now neither of them are allowed to set foot in the hallway. It has worked so far. I think the tiredness of starting a new school year has started to kick in with them all after such a long summer break. I had to send them both upstairs to bed at 6.45pm the other night because I was sick and tired of them arguing with each other all the time. I am not having a good week this week :panic:

xxxxx

xxxxx

KatieFS
27-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Alicek it's been a funny old week for me too. I do think tiredness playing big part. My dd in year 1 now so think the transition is starting to affect her a bit and def making her tired. We also had a choking incident with her this week, very scary but thankfully she was ok. Good idea about parent at door thing, mine do that too!
It's Friday so when's approaching! Yey

Kerry30
27-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Oh im so glad im not the only one whose own child plays up. My dd can be so horrid sometimes when she tired and shes 7!! Thats why i love this forum xx

KatieFS
27-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Totally x x