PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with after schoolers?

Miss freckles
25-09-2013, 03:10 PM
I have a couple of after schoolers but one in particular is with me until 6:15 and is such hard work!!

She is constant and goes from toy to toy and plays with the toy for a few mins until she just leaves it when I try to get her to tidy up before she gets anything else out its a huge mission.

She is constant and it is so draining, she can help herself to art and crafts, sticking, colouring etc, garden play, games, toys, books and has other children her age to play with.

Do any of you have a routine with the older ones? Is it best to get home have a drink and snack, then get them to sit up and do some colouring or reading then move on to something else?!? In the mornings we only have 30 mins before school and we do colouring, drawing, games, breakfast and it's nice and peaceful (this child only comes after school)

She also runs off when I pick her up from school and keep telling her she has to stay with me and spoke about road danger and stranger danger.

My older child is also get fed up of her, and can't do anything without her being really boisterous and this doesn't seem fair to my child.

I hope someone can give me some advice, I'm at my wits end

samb
25-09-2013, 03:19 PM
I have a routine after school of... Walk (as often as possible - wears them out more and fills them up with fresh air), wash hands, snack, story, free craft of some sort or play doh colouring etc at table and some toys out, we have about 45 mins then dinner. After dinner they gradually get down and play but when dinner is cleared up we start tidying away - usually about 5:45 and then we get bags and bits ready to go home. My latest go at 6. If we are done quicker I put the tv on.

VeggieSausage
25-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Yes we have a sort of routine but I have just given notice to all my after schools as I have had enough.

On our walk home all children have to walk not run and the older ones walk in front of me (up to about 5metres in front i suppose) and have to stop at certain points and never go round a corner or where I can't see them.....anyone who doesn't do this has to walk with me and hold the buggy and I do threaten holding my hand as well.....also at the beginning of each term I go through my rules - this includes walking nicely - I would talk to parents and stress that they need to speak to them....

When we get in we have a drink and a snack, then everyone is either in the living room playing nicely while I get tea or they are up at the table doing a craft or something or out in the garden but in general I like everyone to be doing the same thing. Tidy up before tea and then after tea I put the tv on while I get cleared up, although tonight no-one wants the tv on as they are playing.....

sprinkles
25-09-2013, 05:00 PM
I only have one after schooler and by the time we get back from school run it's only 45 mins max until mum collects so not much time to do anything. We have snack as soon as we get home and I tend to have colouring/drawing out as well as whatever toys her sibling has had out that day. They do tend to play away together and have access to books and jigsaws too so manage to keep themselves entertained while I write little one's diary and get things ready for going home.

I'm starting to have them for half hour longer one day a week so saving this time to get all the crafty stuff out - feathers, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, glue, foam shapes etc.

singingcactus
25-09-2013, 05:18 PM
We go to the town library one day a week, the local wood another, tennis/football/basketball on another, and once a month we go to each soft play, and the ice cream parlour. On the remaining days we just hang out at the house, playing boards games, colouring, art, computer games etc.
The little ones have a snack and the big ones sort themselves out. One or other of the big ones organise drinks. I tend to just leave the big ones to their own devices. If I interfere too much they expect me to plan and schedule their every move. Left to themselves they plot and plan and let me know what is required of me.

primula
25-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I had this last week!! I have a sneaking feeling she is getting excited about Christmas!!! She mentioned it on the way home all be it briefly! I have raided the loft and found some Polly pocket stuff, hopefully that might calmed her down a bit as she likes fiddly bits!!

Rubybubbles
25-09-2013, 05:52 PM
My eldest school pick up is 5 yr1.

Pick up 3pm
Walk home, trip to park, duck pond, local field great ATM for spotting signs of autumn snack while out

Back by 4:20 as 2 go at 4:30(under 3s) free play until 5 when another goes home (under 2) then it's reading followed by tea time, any homework then garden, board games drawing which ever suits

Finish at 7pm but went early today phew!! But only 2 days a week so not too bad!

loocyloo
25-09-2013, 06:56 PM
I pick up 3.30 and we walk. usually home by 4pm giving time to stop to look at trees/conkers/shop windows. sometimes pop into shops to buy milk or bits needed. some times we go to the library an don't get home till later.

once home, its free play - some read/play games in sitting room, or play the piano, others in playroom, usually enjoying whatever activities the LO have had out all day! today everyone went in the garden and ran around/played in the bushes! tea is usually about 4.20/4.30 and usually finished by 5.00.

after tea there is time to play and then at 5.15 we all tidy up and then shoes on/get bags etc ready to go home and we sit in sitting room to read books, and currently we are watching wacky races on DVD. sometimes we play a board game-something that we can play in teams, so that when people go home, the game isn't instantly over! mine generally go home about 5.30.

sometimes I have a craft activity planned, but usually its something that had been requested the day/week before, or on the way home! I tend to leave the older ones to sort themselves out as regards activities. we have simple rules; everyone is welcome to join in in every activity unless they decide they don't want to, everyone tidies up what they have been doing, and after tea, we all tidy up EVERYTHING regardless of who has been playing with it! we are kind to each other and don't tell tales! ( have a new schoolie who is struggling with the last one, and keeps telling me what the LOs are doing/saying! I keep pointing out that they are LITTLE and I KNOW, as I am THERE! )

yummyripples
25-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Grab some smyths or argos catalogues give them scissors and glue and a piece of paper - get them to cut out what they want for xmas

Jiorjiina
25-09-2013, 10:40 PM
I only have one after schooler, but we walk back from school, he has a drink and a snack (fruit, unless we've been baking), then does some free play while a couple of the littlies go home. Then we usually play on the Wii. He likes Wii Sports Resort, so at least he's being active. It's also only for about 45 mins until his parents arrive.

weedotes
25-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Some times I struggle to occupy / my after schoolers. We spend about half an hour to an hour doing homework and sometimes can organise an activity based on some topic from school .
We are having a good week this week with the good weather , the fact that they're all doing harvest in school and we have a load of potatoes in our veg patch . So they're digging furiously and I m snapping pics to use in their homework .
We also manage use up some time making break either making snacks or baking buns .
In bad weather it's harder . They're all boys and not very keen on art and crafts but if I keep out some supplies from the toddlers they might make a card or picture to entertain one of the wee ones .
Otherwise it's a struggle , they become a bit silly squeezing into dress up clothes and being really entertaining but ultimately damaging things , They're quite good at board games or jigsaws but these can become a bit too competitive and very argumentative and I have to stop what I'm doing with the wee ones to referee .
Sometimes I can get them reading , I keep the sports pages for the nine year old , pick up magazine with articles on animals for another or get them reading from the Guinness book of records .
They're lovely wee guys but let loose in the garden to play football or go on swings or trampoline they can become really rough . They all finish at different times between 4 or 6 so it's not always practical to take them out to the park or out for a walk . I feel a bit of a failure if I give up and let them watch tv or play the wii,

weedotes
25-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Grab some smyths or argos catalogues give them scissors and glue and a piece of paper - get them to cut out what they want for xmas

Aw , This can be great fun ..we title a page ...I am x I am aged x and I like ....
Then we use all time of magazines catalogues and comics to cut out pictures of cars , houses , toys etc it's quite fun sometimes I have joined in and compiled a collage of what I like . One wee fella said " when I grow up I'm going to come and visit you and buy you that" .. It was an aga !

JCrakers
26-09-2013, 07:15 AM
I pick up at 3.15pm, park until 4pm if its dry. When we get in at 4.15pm I do a light tea such as a sandwich, pizza and cuc/tomato. Then they either play outside if its dry, we go onto the green with a ball which is next to my house or they watch TV.
Its quite relaxed. If its raining then they watch a DVD. I've given up on entertaining the as I have to give my time to the little ones. Most night I have around 9 children so the older ones just make themselves at home and relax :thumbsup: I dot stress too much about what their doing because If parents complained then I'd just stop doing schoolies but everyone is happy.

weedotes
26-09-2013, 09:40 PM
I pick up at 3.15pm, park until 4pm if its dry. When we get in at 4.15pm I do a light tea such as a sandwich, pizza and cuc/tomato. Then they either play outside if its dry, we go onto the green with a ball which is next to my house or they watch TV.
Its quite relaxed. If its raining then they watch a DVD. I've given up on entertaining the as I have to give my time to the little ones. Most night I have around 9 children so the older ones just make themselves at home and relax :thumbsup: I dot stress too much about what their doing because If parents complained then I'd just stop doing schoolies but everyone is happy.

Ah JCrakers , I took a leaf out of your book today . Woke up to sound of heavy rain so no need to lay out garden toys . I set out a pile of colouring books and pencils . No homeworks to do today .
Allowed 6 and 7 year old to turn on cbbc ...two of them spread on couch like lords. 9 year old came into kitchen with me and spent an hour drawing aliens and monsters for the three wee ones to colour in . Then he helped me make drinks and snacks for all . Such a chilled pleasant afternoon .

munch149
27-09-2013, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE="JCrakers;1304134"]I pick up at 3.15pm, park until 4pm if its dry. When we get in at 4.15pm I do a light tea such as a sandwich, pizza and cuc/tomato. Then they either play outside if its dry, we go onto the green with a ball which is next to my house or they watch TV. Its quite relaxed. If its raining then they watch a DVD. I've given up on entertaining the as I have to give my time to the little ones. Most night I have around 9 children so the older ones just make themselves at home and relax :thumbsup: I dot stress too much about what their doing because If parents complained then I'd just stop doing schoolies but everyone is happy.[/QUOTE

Same here I think they have done there work for the day at school so just let them relax when they get to mine. Don't stress about doing activities as such just put a few things out. I too go straight to the park for a bit to burn off any steam after being sat in the classroom. Then it tea and tv. Not much time for much else anyway especially with staggered pick ups for other children

maisiemog
27-09-2013, 08:51 AM
I get in at 3.30ish. We have a drink and snack and then they do whatever activity is set out on the table (hama beads, colouring, board games etc ) or play with toys in the front room or watch tv. It's quite chilled out as they are usually tired from a day at school. The girls usually take all the dolls stuff into the hallway and play with that. Tidy up before dinner which I serve at 5pm and then they go home at. 5.30ish!