PDA

View Full Version : Mum mat leave - what to do...

KatieFS
24-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Bit of advice pls all

My first mindee who I've had for nearly 2 years will be leaving me in march. Mum expecting. She has asked if I can take new babe and mindee part time when she is back to work jan 2014!!!!! That's like 2 xmases away?!?!

I have twin babies who will be nearly 2 when she plans to return in jan. assuming they are still here..

Ratios I think ok assuming everything stays the same, as 2 sets if siblings. But how will I manage 3 x2 and under and existing mindee maybe collect from local nursery too, and my own kids school run. Not keen

I'm not sure I can afford not to take another child so thinking the business head us saying 'I will need to look to fill vacancy, but contact me closer the time as things can change..'

But my heart is saying 'ooh your first mindee and your saying goodbye?!??'

I know I could ask for retainer but honestly don't think I can manage if i have same children

Am I right?!? Have you had similar situation? What did you do. Tbh I think I just need someone to say yes you're doing the right thing! X

charlottenash
24-09-2013, 09:52 PM
That's one Xmas away in my calendar?

I would let her know financially you have to try and fill the vacancy but tell her to come back to you once she has definite start dates for going back and you can see what's available.

miffy
24-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Mum is going on mat leave in March 2014 and back to work in Jan 2015?

If you don't think you will be able to fit everyone in then best say so up front but ask mum to contact you nearer the time she returns to work as things may have changed.

Miffy xx

muddybootskids
25-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Yes u are doing the right thing just had this with my first Mindee. Been with me 6 months mum said I was to also have baby in march 14 when she returns to work. I've turned down two families since then and last week she handed in my mindees notice and no baby coming in march as she is not going back to work!!!!!! So ****** off now!!! So u r defo doing the right thing u are doing what is best for ur family!!! Good luck x

AliceK
25-09-2013, 08:30 AM
I will mentally hold a place for a baby sibling if mum continues with the older child coming to me during maternity leave. I have just taken on baby sibling of a LO I have had for 2 yrs because she kept coming and I knew mum wanted me to have baby and roughly when. I have another parent just started her mat leave and once again she is leaving her LO with me and has asked me to have baba next year when she goes back to work. Although I don't actually have a space right now I will have next year when one of my EY's children moves to FT school so mentally I now can fill that space. I also have a child who is leaving me this week as mum is starting her mat leave. Mum has asked me to have baby next year but I have told her I cannot hold a space and to come back to me nearer the time. It's highly unlikely I will have a space though especially as the other mum has already asked and is keeping the older child here.
If a parent removes the older child then they will have to take their chances when the time comes that you will have a space IMO.

xxxx

KatieFS
25-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Yes sorry meant jan 2015. It is so long away things may be completely different by then
Thanks for your replies and support

serin
25-09-2013, 10:55 AM
I would say I can only book the place in September 2014 providing the spaces are available. I would say I cant keep the position open for a year because I will lose too much money! However you can make it clear that you would love to look after them.

JCrakers
25-09-2013, 11:40 AM
I've been in situation where I've had a mindee for 2yrs and Mum asked me to hold a place for new sibling 9 months down the line. I said yes and turned away business thinking I had it all sorted out.

New baby started and screamed for 8 weeks, I had to give notice and sibling had to go to a nursery. I lost a lot of earnings in 9 months and then after I had given notice I didn't get a vacancy enquiry for another 13 months.

Now I have 2 sets of parents due soon and haven't held a space but just said come back nearer the time and we will see as neither wanted to pay for holding the space open and I don't want to fall into the same problem I had before