PDA

View Full Version : Are learning journeys necessary?

Porridge
24-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Hi all,

I just read a small snippet in Morton Mitchell magazine, saying that following 'more affordable childcare', nurseries and childminders are being told they do not need to do paperwork such as learning journeys, and can spend more time with children! I have scoured the ofsted site, but cannot find reference to this. Anyone know?

silvermist
24-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Hi all,

I just read a small snippet in Morton Mitchell magazine, saying that following 'more affordable childcare', nurseries and childminders are being told they do not need to do paperwork such as learning journeys, and can spend more time with children! I have scoured the ofsted site, but cannot find reference to this. Anyone know?

I havent heard or read that anywhere! As far as Im aware we are still required to keep learning journals for children in the EYFS. Id like to know if its changed though?! x

moggy
24-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Hi all,

Read EYFS Section 2 2.1 and 2.2.

Learning Journals have never been compulsory, you don't 'NEED' them as such, it is true. But unless you have a better way of demonstrating to Ofsted that you are observing, assessing and planning and following interests of all your EYFS children, then you had better stick with LJs.

It comes down to 'best practice'. If you want to just get a 'satisfactory' then maybe you can do it without LJ if you can verbally go through all the points (observing, assessing and planning and following interests of all your EYFS children), but if you want to go the extra mile to get a 'good' or 'outstanding' you are probably looking at getting something on paper and that is then a LJ.

How you do them it up to you and that is where you can reduce and simplify as far as you feel comfortable. The only compulsory LJ paperwork is the 2-Year check (and the EY Profile but that is the one schools usually do, at the end of Reception year).

Mouse
24-09-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't do LJs. They have never been compulsory, and although I did do them when EYFS first came in, I didn't find them particularly useful and the parents weren't interested in them.

I now do a daily diary with obs, assessment & planning all in one. It works a lot better. It's less work, but provides more information, so that's got to be good!

moggy
24-09-2013, 08:42 PM
I don't do LJs. They have never been compulsory, and although I did do them when EYFS first came in, I didn't find them particularly useful and the parents weren't interested in them.

I now do a daily diary with obs, assessment & planning all in one. It works a lot better. It's less work, but provides more information, so that's got to be good!

I guess it also comes down to what you call a LJ!
I'd call a diary with obs, assessment & planning in it a LJ! But that just shows- it is up to you; call it what you like and do it the way that suits you.

Porridge
24-09-2013, 09:47 PM
I think that sounds like a great learning journey!

I was just wondering where Mm might have got the impression that was the case. ??

I'm certainly not suggesting we stop documenting the children's learning, for all the reasons you give & more, but just wondered if I'd missed something.

By the way I did also hear on the grapevine that the two year check was also in question, but I've yet to find a reputable source i can quote. I just can't help thinking how wonderful it would be if we could spend more time with the children, and less time worrying (if you're like me) if my paperwork is good enough. If only they'd come and give me their current verdict!

bindy
25-09-2013, 07:04 AM
I know a Sure Start Nursery that do no LJ but have Outstanding, don't know how they prove because my daughter does not go, just other mums have said, who do have kids that go. One outstanding nursery that my daughter did attend, told the Ofsted inspector (October 2012) They did no planning what so ever! Still went from good to outstanding. Annoying when the inspectors come up with any tiny excuse not to give a childminder outstanding!

catlyn
25-09-2013, 07:05 AM
we were told this at our monthly support meeting this week...it was on a list of "common myths around childminding" the lady chairing the meeting said as long as you show to Ofsted you are following the guidelines for obs planning next steps etc then you dont need to document...although as Moggy has said having it written down is surely the easies way of doing this

edit....morre common myths on her list incude childminders think they need to have:

freeflow of children between indoor and outdoor areas....not required
written risk assessments...not required
written policies and procedures...not required

I still have all of my policies and risk assessments though as I dont think I'd remember them all if Ofsted challenged me on them!!