PDA

View Full Version : Career change!

emma04
24-09-2013, 10:42 AM
This thread is kind of a grumble about a minority of teachers who presume that, when I comment that I'm training to become a primary school teacher, I'm clearly underestimating the work they do and the responsibilities that they have! Not to mention the fact that they do actually work in the holidays!
WELL!....in my response.....get this....

My day begins at 7.30am when I set up activities and remember whose coming!

At 8.00am the little sweeties arrive, sometimes with a gift in their nappy just for me!

At 8.30am off we all go on a trip up to school

9.00am we arrive back. Again, another little gift deposited in a nappy and this time all down one trouser leg and up ones back too!! Joy!

So even before you've taken the register I'm up to my eyeballs in various matter!!

9.30 snack time, if I'm lucky I get a cuppa

The next few hours include more nappies, fighting, toys everywhere, wet pants, the "why" questioning for what seems like a lifetime, "when's lunch" repeatedly.

12.00 lunch time, feeding individuals watching others attempt to feed themselves and drop spag Bol all over the table and floor (no dinner supervisor to help or clean up!)

12.45pm yet more nappies, but nap time looms!!! I get 20min to throw down some lunch and microwave my cold tea from earlier to save wasting milk!!

1.15pm maybe a few more nappies, the "why" questions start again, I engage with the children, do puzzles, build towers, they scatter glitter, scraps of paper and play dough over as many pieces of furniture and floor space as possible. ( no cleaner to come and clean up at the end if the day)

3.00pm off on a trip up to school again

3.30 snack time and a hot cup of fresh tea this time, but it gets left on the side whilst I deal with a biting incident and a potty training accident at the same time (no TA to give me a hand!)

5.00 daily diaries to write up, trying to be positive at the end of a very busy day!

5.30pm parents arrive and the "why questions" start again; why is x in different trousers? Why has x got mud on his top? Why does x look upset?

6.00pm tidy up ready to start all over again tomorrow

7.30pm start paperwork and realise I'm going to be mega out of pocket next month due to two weeks holiday (the only amount I can afford to take!) Also discover that some dimwit politician is wanting to change EVERYTHING yet again!

SO........I'm actually thinking that teaching isn't the ball ache of a job some folk are declaring it to be!!
I'm not naive, just a little peeved that being a childminder is perceived by some, as "nothing compared to teaching!!"

ajc
24-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Here here, couldn't agree more, good luck with new venture!

Ripeberry
24-09-2013, 10:50 AM
You'll make a wonderful teacher :)

emma04
24-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Thank you. Got a little way to go yet.

Just had almost the same responses from most of the teachers I've asked for advice from!!
It feels like no one on earth is worthier than them to teach. Especially not a mere childminder!

KatieFS
24-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Well done for embarking on a new career!! How far are you along
Your diary could be me!!! That's quite similar to my days x

It's a small world
24-09-2013, 11:38 AM
This thread is kind of a grumble about a minority of teachers who presume that, when I comment that I'm training to become a primary school teacher, I'm clearly underestimating the work they do and the responsibilities that they have! Not to mention the fact that they do actually work in the holidays! WELL!....in my response.....get this.... My day begins at 7.30am when I set up activities and remember whose coming! At 8.00am the little sweeties arrive, sometimes with a gift in their nappy just for me! At 8.30am off we all go on a trip up to school 9.00am we arrive back. Again, another little gift deposited in a nappy and this time all down one trouser leg and up ones back too!! Joy! So even before you've taken the register I'm up to my eyeballs in various matter!! 9.30 snack time, if I'm lucky I get a cuppa The next few hours include more nappies, fighting, toys everywhere, wet pants, the "why" questioning for what seems like a lifetime, "when's lunch" repeatedly. 12.00 lunch time, feeding individuals watching others attempt to feed themselves and drop spag Bol all over the table and floor (no dinner supervisor to help or clean up!) 12.45pm yet more nappies, but nap time looms!!! I get 20min to throw down some lunch and microwave my cold tea from earlier to save wasting milk!! 1.15pm maybe a few more nappies, the "why" questions start again, I engage with the children, do puzzles, build towers, they scatter glitter, scraps of paper and play dough over as many pieces of furniture and floor space as possible. ( no cleaner to come and clean up at the end if the day) 3.00pm off on a trip up to school again 3.30 snack time and a hot cup of fresh tea this time, but it gets left on the side whilst I deal with a biting incident and a potty training accident at the same time (no TA to give me a hand!) 5.00 daily diaries to write up, trying to be positive at the end of a very busy day! 5.30pm parents arrive and the "why questions" start again; why is x in different trousers? Why has x got mud on his top? Why does x look upset? 6.00pm tidy up ready to start all over again tomorrow 7.30pm start paperwork and realise I'm going to be mega out of pocket next month due to two weeks holiday (the only amount I can afford to take!) Also discover that some dimwit politician is wanting to change EVERYTHING yet again! SO........I'm actually thinking that teaching isn't the ball ache of a job some folk are declaring it to be!! I'm not naive, just a little peeved that being a childminder is perceived by some, as "nothing compared to teaching!!"

Here here. Love this . I'm also thinking if a career change but teaching assistant with the possibility for teaching later on. I'm looking at freeing some time up to spend with my family . Good luck and enjoy your 'easier' job role. I too think people take are jobs for granted x

Rubybubbles
24-09-2013, 11:41 AM
My little sister asked me the other day about when do I hurt my lunch break

I laughed so much as she was so serious!!

CLL
24-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Tbh teaching is way more demanding than cm and I would not go back to it ever. The stress and pressure is a killer, standing up and getting the attention of 30 children is very difficult. You have a huge pressure to perform and meet targets and behaviour issues are a nightmare. Top that off with so many parents to deal with and lessons to plan. It sounds like you have made your mind up to teach and I wish you well but if you think cm is hard work teaching is in a whole other league.

emma04
25-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Tbh teaching is way more demanding than cm and I would not go back to it ever. The stress and pressure is a killer, standing up and getting the attention of 30 children is very difficult. You have a huge pressure to perform and meet targets and behaviour issues are a nightmare. Top that off with so many parents to deal with and lessons to plan. It sounds like you have made your mind up to teach and I wish you well but if you think cm is hard work teaching is in a whole other league.

I think I've become better suited to a teaching environment tbh.

I love stress, behavioural problems are my interest and planning is my strong point.
These days, I don't like poo much, I prefer slightly more able and independent individuals, I would seriously love a proper tea break, lunch break and paid holiday and holiday that fitted around my own children! Not to mention an even greater challenge.

The reason for my original post, was to point out the negativity I have experienced whenever I mention teaching, especially if I take the childminder v teacher approach to my conversations. Would just be nice to hear teachers and ex teachers give a more positive viewpoint. Everything has positive and negatives, but as yet.......I'm still waiting for a positive to being a teacher! Which is quite Worrying actually and I am starting to wonder what my children's teachers think about their job role and whether or not their hearts are in it!

I'm not a quitter, but if I can no longer perform at my best, I'd rather walk away than fail a child.

TNT
25-09-2013, 06:27 PM
I think I've become better suited to a teaching environment tbh.

I love stress, behavioural problems are my interest and planning is my strong point.
These days, I don't like poo much, I prefer slightly more able and independent individuals, I would seriously love a proper tea break, lunch break and paid holiday and holiday that fitted around my own children! Not to mention an even greater challenge.

The reason for my original post, was to point out the negativity I have experienced whenever I mention teaching, especially if I take the childminder v teacher approach to my conversations. Would just be nice to hear teachers and ex teachers give a more positive viewpoint. Everything has positive and negatives, but as yet.......I'm still waiting for a positive to being a teacher! Which is quite Worrying actually and I am starting to wonder what my children's teachers think about their job role and whether or not their hearts are in it!

I'm not a quitter, but if I can no longer perform at my best, I'd rather walk away than fail a child.

Another negative ex teacher here :D
That is exactly why I quit because I couldnt perform at my best after I had my family. Teaching is a great career when you are young and child free, you can give it your all and if inspired enough are able to make it your life, which is what you have to do to be an outstanding teacher. I know so many teachers that are off with stress and many more whose hearts are not in it because they have to worry about the paperwork before planning amazing lessons for the children in their care.
If you work well under stress then you will probably love it, but good luck with getting those tea breaks and a lunchbreak :p

Mouse
25-09-2013, 06:46 PM
I currently childmind for 2 teachers. Both of them tell me I would make a good teacher. I tell them I wouldn't want their jobs and they tell me they wouldn't want mine :laughing:

We have a mutual respect for each other's jobs and don't really compare what we do.

I think I have the easier job, they think they have the easier job.

The Juggler
25-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Another negative ex teacher here :D
That is exactly why I quit because I couldnt perform at my best after I had my family. Teaching is a great career when you are young and child free, you can give it your all and if inspired enough are able to make it your life, which is what you have to do to be an outstanding teacher. I know so many teachers that are off with stress and many more whose hearts are not in it because they have to worry about the paperwork before planning amazing lessons for the children in their care.
If you work well under stress then you will probably love it, but good luck with getting those tea breaks and a lunchbreak :p

i don't think OP thinks it will be easy. But all the teachers at my school have a tea and lunch break - I don't as in the nursery we have no break and 20 mins for lunch. But I still love it. My kids are at high school now though and independent to go and return from school as long as I can be here to help with homework and exam times. I don't think I'd consider it with a young family. I know some of my parents who I cm'd for found it hugely stressful fitting teaching with babies and young children.

loocyloo
25-09-2013, 07:20 PM
I have a mum who is NQT in an infant school ... she took a terms temporary job and at the end of term was asked if she would like to apply for the full time post! she did, and got the job.

she says she loves it, but has lost a couple of stone in weight and has in the first term, gave up doing any outside activities so she could concentrate on her job, and her children ( both infants but a different school to one mum teaches in ). she looks shattered to me, and many mutual aquaintances have asked me if she is ok ( I don't answer ).

I couldn't do the job, but i'm sure there are many committed teachers who can & do!
mum above says she couldnt' do my job as she couldn't bear to have other peoples children constantly in her house and never being able to escape!

jax clinch
25-09-2013, 07:55 PM
I taught for 10 years prior to starting a family and was very committed thoroughly enjoyed the job and now really miss the classroom environment and that relationship you build up with children, but I don't miss the paperwork, the meetings, the constant pressure to perform, the constant observations and the minimal lunch breaks I managed to squeeze in in between classroom preparation!! Now a mummy to 4 young children it is the last thing I personally would want to be doing because my children wouldn't be able to have same after school opportunities they have now and I would miss going to see sports day, plays etc, but I do admire those people who have stayed in that career whilst bringing up their children and do a remarkable job at both. It's just not right for me and my family at the moment x

jadavi
25-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Exactly.

I too am an ex teacher.

Despite the hard work there is nothing to beat being your own boss.
Also the EYFS allows for free choice and non coercive education - unlike in school.

That's what makes this the perfect job for me!

KatieFS
25-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Teaching is an amazing thing to do, my best mates are teachers and mums and I know how hard they work.
I thought about it but not sure it's the right environment for me.

You always remember a good teacher and they can be inspirational to children so teachers need our support.