PDA

View Full Version : having time to do observations and learning journeys.....

Npg1
23-09-2013, 08:45 AM
I am so busy I find I dont have time for anything. I feel like im constantly settling new children in! I work 53 hours a week, how does everyone have time to keep up to date with everything?

I paid for the 2simple app but find its rubbish!

VeggieSausage
23-09-2013, 09:36 AM
I got on top of everything and now I update as I go....it is v difficult though.....are you doing too much? I try and so one planned obs a month and then a couple of adhoc ones.....if I was you I would sort out the stuff for one child at a time, then try and keep them up to date, while children are playing just write it up - then all you need to do is write on area of learning etc afterwards quickly.....

Tinkerbell1979
23-09-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm so behind! Hot one child up to date last night but resulted in me going to bed at midnight. Next child tonight *sigh*

Npg1
23-09-2013, 10:34 AM
I probably do do too much. Each child has a scrap book that I take pictures and write comments, do mini obs, I dont really do massive obs. I now have 5 of the journals to do! Im wondering if I should make use of the app I brought and just print it all out but that's a waste of paper to then stick in scrap books

mrs robbie williams
23-09-2013, 11:17 AM
I've started to do a plan each week for each child with next steps on loosely linked around our current theme, currently autum, on one lo's plan I had find and look at pine cones, went to surestart group today and they had a tray full of them do took photo if her counting them job done :) hopefully I'm doing it right x I only do 2 a week for each lo and have 3 every week plus 2 extra adhoc so don't do lj's for them x

hectors house
23-09-2013, 11:17 AM
I currently have 3 observation pages (one for each child) open on bottom of my computer, if anyone does anything new I try to quickly type it up but this doesn't work obviously when we are out and about - does anyone use a dictaphone or record on their mobile, sometimes I just need a little reminder/prompt but don't always have time to make a written note?

loocyloo
23-09-2013, 11:41 AM
I have 8 EY children over the course of the week.

I take photos/scribble things down on a post it note ( I have some pinned to the wall in the playroom ) or jot a note down on my phone. ( have even rung home and left myself an ansaphone message before now! confused Dh who got home early that day! )

in theory I then print off any photos that day, stick in book + next steps. job done!

in practice I do it on a Monday afternoon which is my day off! ( should be doing it now! ) takes me about an hour or so to do the whole lot ( when I don't get distracted by the forum !!! :rolleyes:)

I find the children that come several days usually have at least one ob a week, the others depends on what they/we did. this week I was out in the woods, and covered masses of stuff with one LO, so, although she only comes one day, this week she has 3 or 4 obs! but I might not do any now for a couple of weeks.

if I find I am getting snowed under and if I'm getting behind, I find 'forgetting' my camera for the week very useful and then I always have less obs, unless its something amazing I have written down! most of mine are photo obs!

cathtee
23-09-2013, 01:44 PM
I have a book for each child and scribble down wow moments observations and anything else that i think will be good in their lj, I take the photos
which are date stamped and then once a month I sit down sort out the pictures and do the write ups on the observation forms and in
their lj's I was 3 months behind but when I injured my wrist a couple of weeks ago and was off work I got up to date so just septembers
to do this weekend after my first aid course!!

I'm going to try and keep up to date from now on as ofsted last came 2011 so could be due sometime next year if they are doing 3 yearly visits, or longer
I hope

sarah707
23-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Make sure you don't do too much - and try to keep up-to-date - those are the best tips!

Where possible do a little bit every day while the children are playing independently - that will really help :D

Npg1
23-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks. Yes must try and do some while they play. Its the planning that's getting me down. Each chikd has an individual plan and ive run out of ideas

blue bear
23-09-2013, 08:24 PM
I only do obs on things that make me go wow, so about 4 a month for full timers but I'm not rigid sometimes it's four in one week then none for weeks depending how the child is developing.
For every obs I do a next step, that goes straight onto the plan, keeps the planning simple and personal to each child.
Today I took photos of a child climbing stairs at soft play for the first time, I printed it off using the pogo printer while the children ate, Once babe was In Bed the three year olds helped me stick the pictures in the lj, I wrote up the obs after school as only had two 8 year olds who were doing their homework. Job done.

Ali56
23-09-2013, 08:36 PM
I love post it notes! They rule in my house! I note new things/wow moments, so as the children get older they become less often and I only do 'formal' obs if I think there is a need. Next steps often come from what I scribbled on the post it!
I like to note funny things they said and did too-if I can, because I think its lovely to look back in the journal and see them! :)

jadavi
24-09-2013, 02:24 AM
Are you using 2simple properly?

What is good is that they provide the drop down menu from development matters. Tick tick tick job done.

You don't need to bother about storing them - just print out for the LJ and use pics from your phone gallery. My ones take three minutes now and look so professional. It has transformed my paperwork and cut my prep time as my next steps on it become my next plan .

I haven't even bought it as the free mode gives me all I need.

Best of all Ofsted loved it as did my development worker.

jadavi
24-09-2013, 02:25 AM
Ali where do your post it notes end up? How do you use them? Do you stick them in the LJ?

Ali56
24-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Ali where do your post it notes end up? How do you use them? Do you stick them in the LJ?

To begin with they all end up stuck to the tiles on the kitchen wall!
Then when I have a min they are written up properly in LJ with any photo's I have and next steps if its relevent to put them. Truly simple :0) I'm not at all at home on a laptop so I use good old felt tip pens/shiny silver and gold markers (Y'know, the lovely ones that are really smelly when you take the lid off :) )
I'd love to get to grips with an online thing but my typing is akin to a 6yr olds and Mrs O seemed quite happy, so hey ho! :laughing:

Npg1
24-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Hi. Thanks for your replies. I have been using the app but I have 3 learners on the app and add each one to an activity I have done but then when I email them over to me theres a mixture on each page when I print.

In other words, if I just want to print a report for s how do I do that without all the other kids on there?

jadavi
25-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Delete everything you are not using.

Print out when you have finished (ie send it to your email )

You only ever do one complete one at a time and finish it and delete it.

Change the name on the classroom title to the one you need.

Basic but simple and works for me.