PDA

View Full Version : Not CM related but..

kellyskidz!
22-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Slight problem I want a bit of advice on please!
My dd is in y1 and is only just 5 (August baby) and her class had their 1st spelling test last week in which she did really well and got 8 out of 8, which put her on a table with children almost a year older than her.
Great we thought, she loved her table as her 3 best friends sat there with her and all was well until Friday.
The class had their second spelling test, and when I picked her up from school when we got home she said 'I got 5 out of 8 but I got upset on the 6th spelling and cried so my teacher said I didn't have to do the test'
I felt awful for her as she did know the words but got so upset even when telling me about it, I tried to phone school to see what happened by they had closed for the day by then
So I open her reading book and see the following comment
T got upset during today's spelling test so I have made the decision to move her down a group to the Bizzy Bees as I'd rather she experienced success than get upset.
Fine , we thought, we're happy if she is and I'd rather she was in a group suited to her level than feel out of her depth. But I did think her teacher could have rang me, or spoken to me after school just to mention it and it was a little harsh after one test, but that's the teachers decision not ours
So I said to T 'are you happier being in the Bizzy Bees?'
'Yes because it's easier, but I'm sad I'm not in the SuperStar group anymore. I'm not a Super Star'
Turns out (after speaking to another 2 parents of kids in y1) that they have 4 groups in order from lowest to highest level: Caterpillars, Ladybirds, Bizzy Bees and Superstars
Is it me or is this wrong?! I didn't know when she was in the Superstar group that was called that! And to hear her say I'm not a Super Star anymore is heart breaking. She is a super star! She's a lovely girl with a heart of gold, who tries so hard in everything she does. Who says knowing some words makes you a :censored:Super star anyway?!
Tomorrow morning I'll be asking her teacher what happened during test and if she was ok, but do I mention this Super Star group business? Or will I sound bitter because she's not in it anymore so now I have a problem with what the groups called.
I didn't know when she was in it and I still don't think it'd sit right with me even if she went back in a group that seems so blatantly superior to other insect groups! Also I don't want her friends at school saying Oh we're Superstars and you're not because you've been moved down! Helpppppp am I just being over sensitive?!

natalieatk
22-09-2013, 03:15 PM
I agree you should say something, it's wrong they are put in groups like that, causes a lot of stress for a child that they are not the best. They shouldn't out primary school children in that position, to much stress to be better.
And yeh I think it's wrong they have moved her down after just one test. They should have spoke to you and agreed to see what was best.

Mrsh3103
22-09-2013, 04:37 PM
I think maybe moving her was the right thing to do. Being comfortable with the work is important.

I agree that the names of the groups should all be insects. It must be horrible for all of the children who aren't in the superstars group. This could lead to all sorts of problems in the class. What happens when some of the kids decide to make fun of the ones who aren't super stars?

You should definitely speak to the teacher about it. Tell her you're happy with the move BUT you don't think it's right that some kids are being told they are better than others at this age.

blue bear
22-09-2013, 04:42 PM
I find the superstars sounds put of place when the others are all insects. Do they really spell it bizzy? Bees, should it not be busy when teaching young children.
I think the teacher should have had a chat with you on collection so you could work out why dd was upset, I agree there is no nig thing about moving her down a group if she is happy but surely a quick chat would have been more appropriate.

kellyskidz!
22-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Glad it's not just me. I really don't mind the moving down thing, in fact we thought with her being the youngest it was a lot of pressure for her to be in top group but the Super Star thing is really niggling at me, has been all weekend. Name the groups insects but name them ALL insects!
It'd be like us grouping our kids we look after into sets and calling the morning group group the Fantastic Ones and the others the Spiders lol
And yes it's spelt Bizzy Bees, that was in the note written in her book from her teacher, you're right it should be Busy Bees really
So should I say was she ok on Friday, I tried to call but school was shut, I was worried to heard she'd been upset over a test. I don't kind she's moved down group but I'm concerned that its called a super star group and think kids in the class might pick up that she's moved down from a super star to a 'Bizzy' Bee and tease her or something?
Also she's been saying at home this weekend to family member I'm not a super star anymore and it just concerns me that she might lose some confidence over this, with it being called that?xx

greanan
22-09-2013, 06:59 PM
I think calling one group superstars is awful!!

Christi
22-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Completely agree, all groups should be themed in the same way. When I started teaching I had caterpillars, dogs, frogs and flamingos. I chose them because I liked the pictures I'd found, back in the limited clip art days!!! One parent came to me really upset that her child was in the caterpillar group 'crawling along'. I was mortified that that was how it was perceived, especially as in my head they were a group with real potential, but very young. I was thinking they were going to change into butterflies! Parent left happy, I learnt a valuable lesson. Fast forward twelve years and I was right, certainly the ones I know of did very well in their GCSE's!
Anyway I've waffled, they should be all along the same lines and no group should be singled out, either in a overly positive or negative way.

CookieCutter
22-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Oh. My. Gosh. I grew up in America and until reading this thread, I had no idea that children in the UK were put into groups like this. I find it shocking that children as young as 5 are grouped, and are aware if they are in a high or low group. If children are going to be grouped, they should not be aware of it as it can be damaging to their confidence and affect their entire educational experience, and perhaps the rest of their lives.

I was speaking to my husband about it just now, and he remembers being put into the lowest group in maths and spelling when he was quite young, and because of this, he spent years feeling like he wasn't very intelligent and not expecting much from himself. Fast forward to now, he's an accountant! He's very smart, but still doesn't seem to think so.

Does this happen in all schools? If so, I will most certainly be moving back to the states before my dd (1) is old enough to start school!

jackie 7
22-09-2013, 08:46 PM
So sad. At 5 she has to learn 8 spelling words. So wrong. I would complain about the superstar word. Please please complain. I dislike this label.

primula
22-09-2013, 09:46 PM
That is so wrong!! I cant believe it you must be absolutely raging.. 5yr olds and they are already putting on the pressure, they have only just started school??.. The names caterpillars and superstars doesn't make any sense at all, so unfair. Definitely say something!

smurfette
22-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Seems very pressurised to move them up and down tables each week after a test!!

starlight1
22-09-2013, 10:10 PM
I agree I don't like the name superstars...

Our school children are grouped in shapes for maths and I insects for English...Despite this my son knows exactly which level group he is in... the kids do know.

He was moved down to a different teacher in reception as they thought it would boost his writing as they thought he would be happier been top of the lower group than bottom of the top group and was happy with this... I wonder whether it is just based on one test..may be worth asking if she is generally struggling

Maza
23-09-2013, 11:53 AM
I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life. I feel like complaining on your behalf about the name of the group, I really do. If I knew the name of the school I honestly would.

As a former teacher I don't agree with moving children around from table to table anyway, it's unsettling. You can differentiate your lessons no matter where the children sit and it shouldn't be based on how well they do in a spelling test from one week to another. She shouldn't have been so hasty in putting them in groups if she wasn't totally aware of their current stage of development.

Please, please say something and please let us know how you get on. I'm really cross now, I hate such blatant stupidity in teachers. Good luck, hugs to your DD. X

sing-low
23-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Unbelievable! The school should be ashamed at allowing a group called superstars when the others are named after insects. It's like something out of the dark ages. I would be complaining to the Head and insisting that this 'bullying' was stopped immediately.

kellyskidz!
23-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks all!
Spoke to teacher today and she was very nice about talking about moving her to ensure she's comfortable with her work blah blah and I was happy with what was said, then got a bit shirty when I mentioned SuperStar group. She said we do label them via levels and they are the top group so... I was so shocked I can't really remember what I said! Something along the lines of it being very unfair and so obviously grouping those kids as 'better' surely wasn't right, then I left because I honestly thought I was going to cry!
Told other half and he's annoyed but said just leave it, you've said it now but my Mum was scandalised and said I should have asked to speak to the Head. God knows, I'm tempted to leave it but its SO annoying that not only is she ok with the labelling but doesn't like being called on it x

Maza
23-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Disgusting. How can she even begin to justify this? What do the other parents think? Do you have an approachable Head teacher? If the class teacher is making this silly mistake what other silly mistakes is she making? Surely the Head cannot embrace this? Is it a teacher who is new to the school?

clareelizabeth1
23-09-2013, 07:08 PM
I would take it to the head. We would be hung if we favoured kids like that. It's also a really quick way to lower the confidence of all the other children in the class. If some already lack confidence they will find school life even harder now.

Maza
23-09-2013, 07:13 PM
It actually doesn't help the children who are in the Super star group either. They will end up thinking that they don't have to try that hard to be in the 'top' group and then they'll find themselves in the real world one day where they really do have to compete.

sing-low
23-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks all!
Spoke to teacher today and she was very nice about talking about moving her to ensure she's comfortable with her work blah blah and I was happy with what was said, then got a bit shirty when I mentioned SuperStar group. She said we do label them via levels and they are the top group so... I was so shocked I can't really remember what I said! Something along the lines of it being very unfair and so obviously grouping those kids as 'better' surely wasn't right, then I left because I honestly thought I was going to cry!
Told other half and he's annoyed but said just leave it, you've said it now but my Mum was scandalised and said I should have asked to speak to the Head. God knows, I'm tempted to leave it but its SO annoying that not only is she ok with the labelling but doesn't like being called on it x

If they were in secondary school then fair enough but they are still very small children. Yes, they'll work out which group is the 'top', all the more reason to have the names be equal.

AdeleMarie88
23-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Firstly seems a little ironic if they spell it bizzy, and not busy!

It isn't right that children are put in rank, super stars is blatantly meant as a way of making those children feel superior, and in turn, making other children feel inferior. You are well within your right to suggest name change. Perhaps mentioning you're DDs comment about not being a star anymore, that's heartbreaking!

Perhaps move was a little hasty, but I do always agree with the notion of highlighting what a child can do as opposed to can't, so perhaps long term she is better off on the other table. Good luck!

amylouise867
23-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Glad it's not just me. I really don't mind the moving down thing, in fact we thought with her being the youngest it was a lot of pressure for her to be in top group but the Super Star thing is really niggling at me, has been all weekend. Name the groups insects but name them ALL insects! It'd be like us grouping our kids we look after into sets and calling the morning group group the Fantastic Ones and the others the Spiders lol And yes it's spelt Bizzy Bees, that was in the note written in her book from her teacher, you're right it should be Busy Bees really So should I say was she ok on Friday, I tried to call but school was shut, I was worried to heard she'd been upset over a test. I don't kind she's moved down group but I'm concerned that its called a super star group and think kids in the class might pick up that she's moved down from a super star to a 'Bizzy' Bee and tease her or something? Also she's been saying at home this weekend to family member I'm not a super star anymore and it just concerns me that she might lose some confidence over this, with it being called that?xx

Hey lovely,

It broke my heart too reading what your daughter has said. Poor girl!! Just shows you as young as they are they pick up on things like that and these are critical ages to boost self esteem and confidence not stamp all over it!

The teacher may not have given it a thought although you would have hoped she would have! :/ This would stand out like a sore thumb to ofsted!!

Let us know how you get on!! :) xxx

The Juggler
23-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Unbelievable! The school should be ashamed at allowing a group called superstars when the others are named after insects. It's like something out of the dark ages. I would be complaining to the Head and insisting that this 'bullying' was stopped immediately.

i agree. I think this is a shocking way of denting children's wellbeing. if the head doesn't take it seriously I would write a formal complaint to the governors. I'd like to know what Ofsted thought of that at their last visit.:panic:

nikki thomson
23-09-2013, 08:28 PM
When my dd was in year 1 she came home one day from school and we were chatting and I said do you sit with daisy at school (her best friend) and my dd said no daisy sits on the orange table and I sit on the green table oh I said, why are you on different tables is because you chat a lot (there very giggly) no my dd said the orange table is where the clever children sit, how do you know that I say and my dd said because our teacher tells us so.... Is it me?. X

doris127
23-09-2013, 09:56 PM
I can't believe the teacher did this. I was an infant teacher for years before I became a childminder and none of the teachers I worked with would have dreamt of doing such a thing. My groups changed names depending on our class topic and the children helped choose them. My maths groups were usually shape names but I never had 'stars' because of the connotations. If a child ever suggested it my answer was always no because you're all stars. At that age its about building up their self esteem and confidence and getting them to foster a love for learning.Yes they might work out they're not in the top group but they would never have heard it from me. I would definitely go and speak to the head.

kellyskidz!
24-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Still havent said anything more, how would i word it to Head? I dont want them thinking i'm kicking off because I'm a pushy parent or being sour because she's been moved! The more I read all the comments the more I'm convinced it IS wrong though, and how can she not see that. Not one person has said oh well maybe its ok!
To top it all off my dd has been very teary this week, and not wanting to go to school, I dont think its related, just thinks shes a bit run down and tired but it could be :(

AdeleMarie88
24-09-2013, 05:43 PM
I would just ask to arrange meeting with head, say you had a brief conversation with teacher but her response didn't satisfy you, and you just want to get it off your chest because it is affecting your DD well being. Don't feel you are ever in the wrong for voicing your concerns!
X

Maza
24-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Tell the Head exactly what you told us - that you don't want to come across as a pushy parent or someone who has the hump because her DD has moved groups but something just doesn't quite sit right with the names of the groups. As a Head it is part of her job to have parents come into her office voicing their concerns and so she will be used to it, even if you're not. Good luck. My hubby is also outraged by the way! x

kellyskidz!
25-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Arranged to see her tomorrow morn as I'm not working. Nervous lol but determined its unacceptable and after speaking to two parents at school they've said to quote them as being 'disgusted' and they're willing to come with me tomorrow
Teacher now ignores me each morning even though I smile and say hi, so going to tell Head that too, that she's obviously taken offence that I've questioned her, I didn't even say anything bad, I didn't shout or anything, she's being ridiculous!x

AdeleMarie88
25-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Well done you are doing the right thing! X

Maza
25-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Good luck! Write it down in bullet points to prompt you if you think you will get nervous. You have to let us know how you get on. x

kellyskidz!
27-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Update: Head cancelled meeting and said I have to raise issue at parents evening on the 10th of Oct!

Maza
27-09-2013, 12:57 PM
I am gobsmacked. None of the Head teachers I have worked for would have done that (cancelling is one thing because things come up, but she/he is basically refusing to see you now. Does she mean bring it up with the class teacher at Parents Eve or with herself? You HAVE brought it up with the teacher and didn't get anywhere. I am shocked by the Head's behaviour. x

kellyskidz!
27-09-2013, 01:14 PM
She's given me a later time so she can be there at meeting. It's all a kerfuffle lol, makes me wish I'd not said anything!
But then is that what she's trying to do, put me off. Another 2 parents complained yesterday about the grouping and Superstar business so I'm glad it's not only me
I think they're being really defensive to any critics lately because they got marked down a few months ago from Outstanding to Requires Improvement, which is silly because I'm not complaining about how they run the school or anything, just raising, or trying to raise, a concern about the naming of the y1 groups! You'd think I was trying to get them shut down or something!
Feel disheartened with it all and made to feel a bit childlike by the teacher and Head, if it wasn't so important to me and my daughter I'd just let it go but I'm determined to have my say, more so because they obviously don't want me to x

CLL
27-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Wow, what a horrible thing to do. I thought my sons school was bad. He also was 5 in August and now has a spelling test every week. We have had a letter yesterday saying along with their 10 spellings this week they will get 10 more so they can assess them and move them sets. I find this very harsh after just 2 tests (and he missed one as he was absent) and feel very sorry for my young son. He is very gifted but can not concentrate at 6pm at night when we try to do his spellings with him. He got 3 wrong this week and is now worried he will be moved down.

AdeleMarie88
27-09-2013, 01:28 PM
The pressure on little ones is horrendous! I must say its a little alarming to hear a school being bumped down from outstanding to special requirements, that's one heck of a drop! They seem incapable of working in partnership with parents!

sing-low
27-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Keep going with this, you are doing the right thing for your DD and every other year 1 child. If the head refuses to see you (I'm not clear if that's what's happened or not) then complain to the governors about Head's refusal AND the group names. Make it official: I want to make an official complaint, please may I have a copy of your complaints policy?

smurfette
27-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Please be very careful with this, I can see where it is headed.. There will be you at the parents meeting and the two of them! Make sure you take someone with you. I complained about something similar in my dds school and it escalated exactly like this, culminating in head taking teachers side, teacher then had it in for our daughter and took it upon herself to tell our daughter when we had a sudden family bereavement, in the end we felt our card was marked and moved schools., please don't misunderstand me I am not saying this will
Happen to you or that you shouldn't stand up for your dd (absolutely right!) but do be aware of how it can pan out.. Our boards of governors includes the principal so it wasn't any good going that route

kellyskidz!
27-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Please be very careful with this, I can see where it is headed.. There will be you at the parents meeting and the two of them! Make sure you take someone with you. I complained about something similar in my dds school and it escalated exactly like this, culminating in head taking teachers side, teacher then had it in for our daughter and took it upon herself to tell our daughter when we had a sudden family bereavement, in the end we felt our card was marked and moved schools., please don't misunderstand me I am not saying this will
Happen to you or that you shouldn't stand up for your dd (absolutely right!) but do be aware of how it can pan out.. Our boards of governors includes the principal so it wasn't any good going that route

Omg never thought of that but its obvious now, probably explains why she won't see me alone! Even if that's not the case, it might be. Going to ask my oh to book a day off. He's more vocal than me anyway and doesn't suffer fools gladly! Thanks 4 that Hun!xxx

smurfette
27-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Omg never thought of that but its obvious now, probably explains why she won't see me alone! Even if that's not the case, it might be. Going to ask my oh to book a day off. He's more vocal than me anyway and doesn't suffer fools gladly! Thanks 4 that Hun!xxx

Take a paper and pen in case u need to record anything down xx

Maza
27-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Also, remember that the Head cannot be seen to reprimand a teacher in front of you, so although it may look like she isn't taking you seriously at the meeting, or doing anything about it, you don't know what goes on behind the scenes and the teacher may get a rollicking when you are not there.

It's great that two other parents complained.
If it was me who had named the groups as an oversight and then had it pointed out to me I would just change the names, what's the big deal? She is making it a bigger issue, not you. x

smurfette
01-10-2013, 09:08 AM

How did it go?

kellyskidz!
01-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Still waiting, until the 10th when its parent/teacher meetings
Teacher seems a little friendlier today than usual, she's been ignoring me for the past week
My dd has seemed happier going to school to, so I'm hoping it really was her just having a grumpy phase. Still going to have a word about it on the 10th but the annoyance I felt last week has faded a little, as was their intention probably
Just such a shame that she's been there for 2 years with no problems whatsoever and in the first part of Year 1 I feel so let down by their methods xx

Maza
01-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Still waiting, until the 10th when its parent/teacher meetings
Teacher seems a little friendlier today than usual, she's been ignoring me for the past week
My dd has seemed happier going to school to, so I'm hoping it really was her just having a grumpy phase. Still going to have a word about it on the 10th but the annoyance I felt last week has faded a little, as was their intention probably
Just such a shame that she's been there for 2 years with no problems whatsoever and in the first part of Year 1 I feel so let down by their methods xx

All the more reason for the Head to know that you are not the type of parent who goes in to complain at the drop of a hat! x

kellyskidz!
10-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Update:
Had meeting today with teach and head and (hurrah!) they said, and I quote
After a lot of complaints about the naming of the spelling groups we've taken on board what everyone is saying and have changed the names to colours. Red blue green and yellow groups
I just said I was relieved as it really did seem very unfair to label one group Superstars and the others insect names, I'm glad they changed it for the sake of the children's confidence and we'll say no more about it, can we talk about my child's progress over the term now
We only have 15mins with them and I didn't want it to be taken up chatting about a group name, as important as it was to me!
They were both actually quite nice, and she asked me if I would be interested in going in to read to some of the children on my day off, which I've said yes to
Also my daughter is doing really well in all areas, and has settled into year 1 well, which me and my oh are delighted with as we worry about her sometimes being the youngest in her class
So all in all a good productive meeting :)

shortstuff
10-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Im so pleased it went well for you and dd x

Maybe it helped that the situation had settled a bit x

smurfette
10-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Wow! Delighted they climbed down off their high horse and its all sorted I was worried! Well done you and yay to dd doing so well!!

Maza
10-10-2013, 11:06 AM
What a fantastic result! Well done you and all the other parents who complained. I am still gobsmacked that the teacher even thought it was okay in the first place but at least they listen to parents (or the Head does). I think the Head will now be keeping a special eye on the teacher to make sure that she is 100% politically correct at all times. Very well done! Well done to your DD too! x

sing-low
10-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Good result - you should feel proud of yourself for what you've done for all those kids!

kellyskidz!
10-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone, just glad it's done and the teacher isn't holding a grudge!
You're right it shouldn't even have ever been an issue in the first place and hopefully she doesn't group them this way next year xx