PDA

View Full Version : Leaving children unattended outside nursery??

natalieatk
22-09-2013, 01:09 PM
I , iv just started collecting a child from a new nursery, not my usual school I go to, she settled in all last week and starts full mornings on Monday, the nursery have a strange routine where your supposed to go in and find the child tell then to tidy and then collect their belongings and the get their coat, meanwhile while the other children I have are waiting outside....
I asked the nursery if this was normal routine and she says yes, the children are fine outside there's always someone there.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to leave the children unattended, which I'm not happy with, I can't take them in as that would mean taking them from pushchair 18mnth and 7 month and going in, then re strapping them back in to then go to the car!

Is anyone else's nursery like this? My usual school used to have them sat on the carpet, doors opened and they were called one by one!

Iv spoke to dad said I'm not prepared to leave the children outside unattended, one of the children is his youngest daughter, asked him to mention to the nursery on Monday! Do I sound like I'm being inconsiderate.
Thanks

scottishlass
22-09-2013, 01:14 PM
I would agree with you - I wouldn't be happy to leave then outside for that long either xx

Mrsh3103
22-09-2013, 01:15 PM
That's awful! What if there isn't anyone outside? I can't see how they can force this! Maybe you should speak to them along the lines of....... as we both work with the eyfs and are both inspected and regulated by ofsted you'll obviously know that I am unable to leave any child in my care outside where I can't see them. Shall we come to some arrangement?

By telling them you know its not allowed maybe they will re think their collection routine?

muffins
22-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Definitely a no no:panic:

We cant take pushchairs in where I collect/drop off from either, the children are usually all sat on a mat together but we do have to collect their bags/coats/wellies etc. I tend to put baby in a sling and the others walk, would this be an option for you?

munch149
22-09-2013, 01:27 PM
I had a nursery that made you leave them outside as wouldn't let buggies in and I couldn't manage 2 non walkers. A children centre staff member would stay outside with them tho so I just got permission from parents for this. Wasn't ideal but it was ok

singingcactus
22-09-2013, 01:32 PM
One of my previous nurseries didn't allow prams in either. I used to lift the babies out and carry them in. I might be more used to handling multiple non walkers as I had twins, but it wasn't really a problem. I would absolutely refuse to leave my kids outside with someone else or alone. Just wouldn't happen.

karen m
22-09-2013, 01:35 PM
I picked up from a new nursery last week and was horrified at the utter chaos, luckily on the first pick up I didn't have any others but doors where open so I just walked in along with others , walked around classroom , outdoor area in to another classroom and not 1 member of staff asked who I was , who I was looking for eventually I asked a member of staff and was told if she is not outside just look in other areas. To be fair by Friday the children were sitting on a mat waiting for collection

natalieatk
22-09-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't really want the chaos of taking them from the buggy in to the school. Or strapping baby in to a carrier and walking 18mnth old, very tiny, walks but isn't a good walker... Hence why I put in pushchair, she straight sway tried to escape my hand when going in to the nursery, I have no spare hands to help get her cost on or carry her paintings etc. not really an option I want.

I hope dad mentions something or il have to say, I can't understand why theory think this is good practice....total nightmare. She was still painting when I went one day!! Why can't they round all the children up ready for home time, very unorganised... I just think iv on,y just started at this school, I don't want to start shouting the odds lol
Thanks

funemnx
22-09-2013, 01:57 PM
One of my playschools likes us to go in a get the child - I just asked them to bring the child to me as I couldn't leave small ones in the buggy and they are happy to help. We are in a different position than parents collecting and I think the staff recognise this (or they should!)

sarah707
22-09-2013, 02:41 PM
I spoke to the staff of our local nursery. I explained I couldn't go in with 2 non walkers and was not allowed (according to the Eyfs) to leave children outside - so could they bring the child to me in the playground..?

They said fine if I was ok waiting until last - and it worked just fine :D

blue bear
22-09-2013, 02:48 PM
I did the same as Sarah, the staff and I got along really well once we got to know each other and was really sad when lo left.

natalieatk
22-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks il talk to them tomorrow, I wouldn't even leave my own kids never mind someone else's, I don't even leave them outside my house!

Nicola Carlyle
22-09-2013, 05:10 PM
I am the same as Sarah. I have spoken to nursery about my situation and they are happy for me to hang back and wait until everyone has collected. Then when there is one or two left go I to the nursery. I leave the double pushchair where I can clearly see both children and any walkers are hand held and beside me. The door to the nursery stays open so I can see the children in the pushchair at all times. Any children I'm collecting are called for and they come out with all their belongings and then we get ready to go. I can always see and hear the children. If for whatever reason I'm unsure or just don't have a good feeling in my tummy I take double pushchair and children inside but there is NO ROOM to even turn the buggy round that's how tight they are for space. x

chriss
22-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Its a lovely idea to go into the class and collect your child, see what the class is like and what they have been doing, but not as a childminder with other children who you cant take in.

vals
22-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I used to collect from a nursery that was upstairs, was a nightmare, had to leave the buggy outside in all weather, then carry the baby upstairs while helping the toddler up the stairs. Coming down was even worse has to had to paintings, bags etc as well as baby and toddler. Luckily this wasn't a long term arrangement. More recently I had to collect from a nursery that was down a narrow corridor, you have to go in, past everyone, and queue up.Even with walking little ones it was hard work,and if with a baby especially if they had gone to sleep it was too annoying to have to take them out of the buggy, so I started to wait at the end, the staff could see me waiting, then when the other children had gone they could send the child to me.
I find this is a common problem, places seem to be geared up for people with one child only. Even at our first school a lot of parents go into school, leaving babbies in buggys outside. no way would I leave them outside but luckily 3 of us all drop off there so take it in turns to look after the buggys if one of us needs to go in.

VeggieSausage
23-09-2013, 04:23 AM
I currently have one at where it is in a nursery in a large house set back from the road, there is no parking and its on a busy road, so parents just clog up the road basically, when you get in to the place it is down a steep set of stairs and with 2 non walkers this is a problem. So requested nursery bring lo out to me at 12.15 - need to get home and get lunch etc. Anyway not going well I seem to be last on their list of things to do and the lo's in the car are falling asleep and having a power nap and then don't want to sleep after lunch......may have to say I can't carry on with this one, was persuaded to do it against my better judgement, it isn't a nursery I pick up from, need the car etc.....does anyone else find lo's fall asleep at lunchtime pick up times?

natalieatk
23-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Yes the baby has started falling asleep in the car on way to pick up and then again on way home, I didn't want to lose the sisters so agreed to do nursery pick up, regretting it a bit now due to the pick up situation...hope the nursery will be accommodating when I go to collect today! Xx

PixiePetal
23-09-2013, 08:47 AM
When my DS was young his playgroup was up some outside steps over a run of garages. I couldn't leave mindees on the street and go up through 2 sets of doors to get him so a staff member used to bring him to the top of the steps when some children had left and the crowd had dispersed A mum would say I was there - I was never late, they knew i would be there.

When i had to collect early I used to go up ring the bell and go down again so children were not out of sight at any time. This was before EYFS and so many rules but it was for my own peace of mind as much as anything.

You must be able to come to an arrangement of sorts?

sing-low
23-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Some good suggestions here. If you need to talk to nursery yourself, I would work out beforehand what you cannot/will not do (leave children out of sight) and be prepared to be very flexible with everything else, (waiting til last, having child brought out to you). Also, if you present it as a problem you'd like to work with them to resolve rather than a grumble at how difficult it is, inconsiderate (even if that's what you think) you'll probably find them more helpful.

KatieFS
24-09-2013, 01:16 PM
The nursery are thinking partnership with parents and get the children to be responsible for their play by tidying. Great idea if you are dropping or collecting one child but when you have others it's a terrible idea! Especially if your juggling a baby.

My local nursery did this at start / end of day. I ended up bringing all children in with me. I couldn't leave then outside so fine we will all come in then! As this was mu little one no way would i leave her to feel i wasnt coming in for any reason. So frustrating!!!! I mentioned it a nil we of times and a member if staff used to stay outside, but I had one child who did not like being in pushchair on her own or with strange faces.

Try to talk to nursery and see... Hope they will amend for you

Tazmin68
24-09-2013, 03:38 PM
When my ds2 was at pre school it was in basement of a church . You could not get a buggy down the narrow path so when a staff member unlocked the gate for people to go in they used to get Kris from me and at the end of the session after all the children had gone they would again bring him up to me. Many a time because buggies were left on footpath while parents were taking older siblings to pre school the scrap metal people took buggies and very expensive travel system frames !!!!!

Ripeberry
24-09-2013, 03:57 PM
I have a silly situation where I collect a 5yr old from an after school club. I have a toddler and a baby in the car and my car is literally right in front of the door, but because of EYFS I have to get the baby out and the toddler and walk five steps to collect the 5 yr old. And then I've got to strap everyone back in again. Drives me potty.

Wondering if it would be cheeky of me to ask one of the staff to bring the 5 yr old to the door? It's gonna be horrible in the bad weather otherwise :(

natalieatk
25-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Update, dad spoke to the nursery who agreed to get the child to tidy her belongings away 5 minutes before leaving time, they agreed they would hand her over at the door.....
However that did not happen today. I arrived, double buggy outside,nursery teacher ushered me in... I just explained I can't.. (Confused to why she was after her conversation with dad yesterday) I waited til the end( which is fair) however said child... Was tidy, ready and waiting by the door, teacher told her it wasn't time to go when other parents were going in and out, felt bad that I was stood waiting and felt like the teacher was behaving a bit petty.. Bit of a difficult situation, the end she open the door and child came out.... Nothing mentioned.... I'm dreading going to this school no
We don't know what to do or say!

KatieFS
25-09-2013, 10:02 PM
*sighs*

Tell the parents, it's the child who is suffering ultimately.